SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
O.K. I finally found the time to swap the Fire Sticks. No joy. This looks to be a network issue with bandwidth thru the extended network.

It a Cisco AC power extender.

I could use some ideas about either better equipment which will provide more bandwidth or maybe an alternate streaming device. I know ROKU is pretty popular, but Apple TV is also popular. Advice appreciated. I ain't wiring the house with network cable.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you're not into "wiring the house with cable" then one of those new 'Mesh' WiFi options might be the ticket.

Netgear Orbi and Google WiFi seem to get good reviews, and should provide very good WiFi strength throughout your home.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thread title:
Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick
Apple Fire Stick?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Thread title:
Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick
Apple Fire Stick?

Yeah,yeah. You caught me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have several firesticks that have been modified with the KODI app.
I'm able to receive EVERYTHING, TV shows, Sports,Movies including movies that are playing in the theaters now, XXX,if its out there you can get it.
At home I can use my WIFI on the road in the RV or if I'm staying in a hotel with poor wifi I use my AT&T MOBLEY, it gives me un-limited data on my cell phone 4g network. The Firestick works great with it.

WOOPS, just read your asking about a Apple product, I have the Amazon Firestick.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me what programming is actually FREE with a Firestick - and not via Kodi or something similar - just what is available by default.

My parents ordered one but do not have any paid streaming services.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Can anyone tell me what programming is actually FREE with a Firestick - and not via Kodi or something similar - just what is available by default.

Pretty much nothing but YouTube but YouTube is being pulled from Amazon devices come January 1.

Most apps have some “sample” episodes but nothing worth much.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:

All the made-for-amazon stuff, some is good. Some movies that Amazon has the rights to show, some television shows that Amazon bought the rights to show. Lots of kid stuff.

The Fire Stick will support apps such as DirecTV NOW which has the majority of cable networks available through it for $50/month. Plus many other services. Hulu, so forth.

RMD

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:

All the made-for-amazon stuff, some is good. Some movies that Amazon has the rights to show, some television shows that Amazon bought the rights to show. Lots of kid stuff.

The Fire Stick will support apps such as DirecTV NOW which has the majority of cable networks available through it for $50/month. Plus many other services. Hulu, so forth.

RMD

Amazon stuff is only free if you have a Prime subscription.

————————————————

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have 2 fire tvs and 2 fire tv sticks. Certain apps perform better than others. For instance, the watch espn app has been virtually unwatchable for the last 6 months almost. HBOGo also has more buffering issues than other apps and runs much better on the FireTVs than on the sticks. Probably more on board RAM. Certain other apps never have an issue.

IOW, there are other things involved than just bandwidth.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Roku. The layout is user friendly and it has apps for everything I want to see, HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and more.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Apple Fire Stick?

Yeah,yeah. You caught me.
RMD

You can change the title of your topic, but you're attracting more attention, unwanted or not, with the current title.

You seem to have identified the problem as being network related, but I own 2 Amazon Fire TV Sticks and am very pleased with them. Roku seems to have improved their sticks since I threw away an early generation Roku stick and replaced it with an Amazon Fire Stick when they were first released.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Another vote for Roku. The layout is user friendly and it has apps for everything I want to see, HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and more.

I much prefer the Amazon FireTV to my Roku.
Hope to be switching to the XBOX for the main home theater come Christmas.

————————————————

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

RMD

The Amazon Fire Tv box works much better than the stick. They just released a new Fire Tv that supports 4K. I've had DirecTV Now since they first came out. Got their introductory price of over 100 channels for $35 a month. It was horrible for the first 6 weeks or so but I stuck with it. They are 1000% better now. Plus I'm locked in at the $35 a month and they keep adding channels.
I just received a email from them that I was selected from their early customer data base to participate in their new beta platform which is to include cloud dvr and other new features.
They will send me the link on how to download the beta app in a week or so. Should be interesting.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I just received a email from them that I was selected from their early customer data base to participate in their new beta platform which is to include cloud dvr and other new features.
They will send me the link on how to download the beta app in a week or so. Should be interesting.
Lucky you. I tried everything I could to become a beta tester on this new release without success. Please post up your experience with the new beta and the cloud DVR. The success of those two items will determine my cord cutting schedule.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Lucky you. I tried everything I could to become a beta tester on this new release without success. Please post up your experience with the new beta and the cloud DVR. The success of those two items will determine my cord cutting schedule.

I will do so. They are already testing it for platforms other than Amazon Fire they expect to have the Amazon Fire beta app ready to go in a week or so according to the last email I received.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post