SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cable Cutters: A question re: hardware - Apple Fire Stick Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
I have two of these and one has a buffering issue that seems to have started just today.

The network strength shows O.K. on the on-board diagnostics and I have a decent enough bandwidth at the modem (120 Mbps down).

Of course this device is on a wireless connection thru the extended network. I assume that the data speed for the extended network is 54Mbps. This is not a 4K television, plain old 1080P

Anyone have this experience and a solution? Amazon is pretty useless.

I really would like to ditch the cable, but not with this issue.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Of course this device is on a wireless connection thru the extended network.

1. How is this physically set up? 'extending' a wifi network usually cuts your bandwidth in half & increases latency - plays hell with streaming type services when packets get interrupted.
2. Reboot it, pull power when is just starting up, then plug back in. I've had an update hose things up.

I have 2 firesticks & 2 fireTVs (2016 models). THey are the only things we have connected to the TVs. I've been very happy with them + slingTV + Plex (I have a large movie/TV collection ripped to a server)

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have a hardwired Amazon Fire TV unit in my main family room and Fire Sticks on WIFI in 3 bedrooms.
All function 100% and stream without any lag or interruption.
(I have pretty crappy internet speed even)

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
First question that occurs to me is, what else is competing for bandwidth? I have half your download speed and two Fire Sticks, and have no issues with buffering on either on my network. Of course they aren't competing with anything else, and both are riding the 5ghz band (not the 2.4ghz).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you think it is the wireless throughput issue perhaps check your wlan settings (on your AP or Router).
I have an Amazon Firestick too and generally don't have any problems at all.
I connect up on the 5.0ghz band where throughput is faster but if you have a lot of obstacles in the way aka walls or distance then 2.4ghz may work better.
ALSO configure the 2.4 ONLY for N protocol > use WPA2 (AES) encryption.
When you allow B and G protocols you downside your throughput.
5.0 is generally only N or AC which does not have this problem.

Also FWIW I have had YouTube (on computer) quite a bit of the time with lag issues.
I suspect that my ISP (ATT) is throttling so I am trying a VPN when those time occur.
A bit of a drift but sort of related.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I think I found the issue. Upstairs FS is fine. The one that is a problem is periodically dropping offline. I will swap them to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Dump the sticks.
I have a Fire TV a couple of Rokus and a Fire Stick and it sucks!!!!!
Slow and inconsistent only thing I have found that helps is to completely wipe the thing back to factory settings and reload.
It is on the TV used the least.
It will happily be replaced in March.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Dump the sticks.
Slow and inconsistent only thing I have found that helps is to completely wipe the thing back to factory settings and reload.

I like the Roku box, because it hooks up with ethernet, and it allows me to use headphones for
listening. I almost exclusively watch whatever Amazon Prime offers, limiting me somewhat, but it's all free. Justified, many times, Bosch, not quite so many times, just started Orphan Black and it looks good. Tin Star was pretty good, a bit crazy. Deadwood, other oldies available.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My download speed is right at 100mb. We have two TVs, both with Apple TV and roku’s. No issues... good luck!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Dump the sticks.
Interesting. I have two Fire Sticks that see a ton of use and both have been perfect. Since I have no 4k TV's, I passed on the Fire TV solution.

And for anyone interested, Fire Sticks are supposed to be $24.95 for Black Friday.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
My download speed is right at 100mb. We have two TVs, both with Apple TV and roku’s. No issues... good luck!

How would you rate the Apple TV versus Roku? Picture quality, ease of use, etc? Which one has the best picture quality for a 4k UHD tv (65" Samsung?).

I ask this because with PSVUE and Roku, you don't get the channel guide. You do with the Apple TV, PlayStation, and Amazon boxes. I currently have a Roku 3 I think it is.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a cable-like channel guide now on the PS Vue app on Roku. It was just updated. I have three Roku sticks and and a Smart TV with Roku and the new guide started showing up last week or so.

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Every TV in my house has a Fire TV or Fire Stick of varying generations, the amount of issues we have experienced is crazy low. Everything streams via wireless over my Eero system, very satisfied. Couldn't say that about the other junk streaming doodads I have owned in the past, especially Roku.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also try to clear the cache of each app. Go to "Settings", "Applications", "Manage Installed Applications", and use the "clear cache" function after clicking on each app.

This guy is also a wealth of knowledge: troypoint.com

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have a Firestick & a 10MB connection. Works just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I'll run Speedtest on my phone sitting next to the stick and be pulling down 40mbps and the stick will just sit there buffering.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ice1811:
There is a cable-like channel guide now on the PS Vue app on Roku. It was just updated. I have three Roku sticks and and a Smart TV with Roku and the new guide started showing up last week or so.

It has not shown up on my Roku, I just updated the Roku software to 8.0 and it's not there on my psvue (I currently look at the channel guide on my IPAD mini). Did you have to update the PSVUE software?

Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Pop Mechanics has a story about using tin foil to increase (and beam) WiFi signals. Maybe that would help?

Here's another such story:
http://thekrazycouponlady.com/...signal-aluminum-foil

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

It has not shown up on my Roku, I just updated the Roku software to 8.0 and it's not there on my psvue (I currently look at the channel guide on my IPAD mini). Did you have to update the PSVUE software?

I stand a little bit corrected...the guide does not show up for me on the smart tv/built in Roku. But it does show up on the three TVs with Roku sticks. The sticks show software as 8.0.0, build 4108-24. I did not do anything to upgrade the PSVue app. My sticks are the second generation ones I think. I am guessing that the Roku "innards" in the smart TV are not as new/powerful as the processor in the sticks. When I first tried DirecTV Now, that app would not even show up as available for the Roku Smart TV, but did for the sticks. After about three months, I noticed it was finally available for the Roku TV. There must be different version of the apps depending on the age/power of the specific Roku device.

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I stand a little bit corrected...the guide does not show up for me on the smart tv/built in Roku. But it does show up on the three TVs with Roku sticks. The sticks show software as 8.0.0, build 4108-24. I did not do anything to upgrade the PSVue app. My sticks are the second generation ones I think. I am guessing that the Roku "innards" in the smart TV are not as new/powerful as the processor in the sticks. When I first tried DirecTV Now, that app would not even show up as available for the Roku Smart TV, but did for the sticks. After about three months, I noticed it was finally available for the Roku TV. There must be different version of the apps depending on the age/power of the specific Roku device.

I have a Roku 2 or 3. Cannot remember which but have had it for about 4 years. I really like the Roku interface, just dislike I can't get a guide...I'll have to check into the new Roku HD or the Roku sticks.

UPDATE- My Roku 2 or 3 ended up getting the guide function yesterday with PSVUE. It's much better than before but the guide function isn't great in the way it's laid out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,