SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some good news for the BB61 family.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some good news for the BB61 family. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
My middle daughter wants to be an APRN (she doesn’t want the expense of medical school). Anyway, the first step is getting into a good nursing school and becoming a RN. Today, she took the HESI A2 (think LSAT, GRE, MCAT but for nursing schools) for the very first time. Her composite score was a 95 which is very good.

She is on scholarship and in the university honors program. Despite the need to keep up her grades (which she is easily doing), she is working nearly 30 hours a week as a CNA at a skilled nursing center (which is in the middle of huge C19 outbreak right now). She is also a certified phlebotomist. On top of all this, she is minoring in music with an emphasis in piano performance.

We are quite confident she will be accepted into the nursing program she wants, which is her first big step towards becoming an APRN.

Considering all the negative news and issues throughout the nation, I wanted to share this bright spot in our family’s life as a reminder that there are still good things happening in our country and with our families.

Best to everyone.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Good luck to her!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
BB61–
What a great career choice! You are right to be very proud of her. We have friends whose daughter just graduated and is starting her first job as an RN. Like your daughter and so many nurses I’ve worked with, she’s sharp as a tack, energetic, passionate about her work, and very caring.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Nursing is an easy profession. Wink

My wife was a nurse, finished school, went to a notable hospital to apply for a job. They asked what she wanted to do, she told them geriatrics, she loves helping older people. They offered her a job in the newborn nursery (there was a mutual connection in the nursery which was how we met, 47 years ago.)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! She seems to have a rare combination of skill, intelligence, and foresight.

Personally I say God Bless her for investing the time to be a phlebotomist. Nurses are often judged (by patients)on their skill in starting IVs. Being able to find a vein and adroitly placing needles goes a long way in making people comfortable.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter, BB61.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you as well as your daughter BB61. My daughter is in her 2nd year with a similar program. Goal is a few years of ICU/ER travel nursing and settling in as a CRNA. Things for your daughter may change as she goes along but support her the best that you can.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ya done good Dad!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I was thinking "big deal" sarcastically until I got to the working 30 hours as a CNA part. Just getting by while holding down a CNA job is impressive as it is. She's going a great job.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

Personally I say God Bless her for investing the time to be a phlebotomist. Nurses are often judged (by patients)on their skill in starting IVs. Being able to find a vein and adroitly placing needles goes a long way in making people comfortable.

Mrs BB61 and I went several times to her class to be her guinea pigs during the practical part of her phlebotomy training.

Thanks everyone. I just can't get interested in shooting. She did pick my PPQ M2 over my VPN and friend's G19 so I guess that is a start.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
She sounds like an amazing young lady. Congrats to her and you guys for providing her the tools to be off to a great start. The sky can be the limit.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you dad!!!! And good for her!!!! Tell her to keep up the hard work.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
My middle daughter wants to be an APRN (she doesn’t want the expense of medical school). Anyway, the first step is getting into a good nursing school and becoming a RN. Today, she took the HESI A2 (think LSAT, GRE, MCAT but for nursing schools) for the very first time. Her composite score was a 95 which is very good.

She is on scholarship and in the university honors program. Despite the need to keep up her grades (which she is easily doing), she is working nearly 30 hours a week as a CNA at a skilled nursing center (which is in the middle of huge C19 outbreak right now). She is also a certified phlebotomist. On top of all this, she is minoring in music with an emphasis in piano performance.

We are quite confident she will be accepted into the nursing program she wants, which is her first big step towards becoming an APRN.

Considering all the negative news and issues throughout the nation, I wanted to share this bright spot in our family’s life as a reminder that there are still good things happening in our country and with our families.

Best to everyone.

Thanks for the great information! Truly great news for you all. Please convey our congratulations to your daughter! And best wishes for a continued path of success!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
APRN? A little help for the ignorant.

She sounds like a smart hard working young lady, you have every right to be proud!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's just outstanding. Congratulations to all of you. Particularly to her, she's doing the work! Smile

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advanced practice registered nurse. I think that means a masters in nursing.

Nice job Dad.

Posts: 7345 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both the proud Dad and wonderful Daughter.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post