SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep people - a question ***Update***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep people - a question ***Update*** Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
*** New Info ***

Okay, the older fixer-upper is looking more like a real possibility in the very near future. 1979 CJ-7. 258 cu. in. in-line 6, three speed manual, runs and drives, has a title, cheap. Good tires, hard top, doors. Needs work on everything else.

Good choice for project or steer clear?

I'm looking at a few used Jeeps for a daily driver. I'm not looking at anything made after 2006.

I'd love to have an 05-06 Wrangler with the 4.0 and the 5 speed. However, it may be outside my budget. Are the 4 cyl Wrangler models even worth consideration?

One other model I'm considering is an older CJ, (81-82-ish). Anything in particular to be wary of or check on these older jeeps?

This would be for my 18-20 minute commute to work and back, and just farting around on the weekends - we've got extra vehicles for long trips, grocery runs, etc. I have extra vehicles too that I can take to work, so this wouldn't be my only option, but I'd like to make it reliable enough that it becomes my main driver.

ETA: I have my own tools, and a lift available pretty much any time I need it. Putting stuff together doesn't scare me. I understand buying an older jeep isn't usually a turn-key operation.

All advice is welcome, and no, a standard Cherokee isn't off the table either. But if your advice is "don't get one" or "Jeep, Dodge, Mercedes, Fiat sucks" Yeah, I get it, but I don't care.

My kids are both driving within six months, and that's my window to buy. Is any time better than the other to buy? Like "wait til winter" or such?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bionic218,

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter had a Wrangler with the four cylinder and an automatic trans. Slower than heck. I always thought that the four mated to a 5 speed stick would be fine.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don’t want a 4 cylinder wrangler. The 6 is slow enough as it is. I drove a friends 4 banger and it was pretty lame. I do however love my inline 6 and will never have anything but that. Keep looking, good Jeeps are out there, just make sure you check it out and don’t get one that’s been trashed on a trail too much

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I have a 99 TJ 5 speed stick with the inline 6. I wouldn't consider a 4 cylinder.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just sold my 2004 SE 4 cylinder to buy a 2017 Unlimited because we wanted a four-door.

Having had two CJs, I was intrigued by the four cylinder. The bottom line: It was Fun to drive.

The Wrangler SE is under-powered, especially with the a/c on, so don’t plan on setting speed records with them. Mine was capable off-road and fun to drive everywhere else. Access to the back seats is cumbersome on the two door. Our granddaughters who are approaching teenage years are too tall to easily climb in and out, which is the only reason I gave up the SE.

Gas mileage was low 20s on average, which was impressive for a Jeep. I say get one and enjoy it!

I did buy mine in February and I noticed the SE 4 cylinders went fast, regardless of condition.

ETA: Mine was a five speed. Would not get an SE in auto.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased an 06 wrangler 4.0L with a 6-speed manual tranny.

It is peppy enough and lots of fun. I tried to like the 4 banger but just couldn't. Even for short drives and farting around that thing is just not nearly strong enough.

What is your budget?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Make SURE you check the frame and all 4 corners for rust. Jeeps are notorious for rusty and damaged frames. Its more the norm than the exception in alot of areas (snow belt).
I would advise staying with a inline 4L 6 cyl or larger.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Past Jeep owner and hopefully in near future again. No to the 4cyl, very weak no matter tranny behind it. The 4.0 HO is the best engine. The 5spd and 6 spd are good. If you want auto then you’ll want to go 2004-2006, they have the 4spd auto with OD. 1997-2003 have 3spd auto with no OD.

2004-2006 also have nicer high back front seats and better side view mirrors and soft tops.

The TJ is great. An Unlimited TJ has longer wheelbase giving more rear legroom and storage.

Best time to buy is “off season”, whenever the weather dictates NOT dropping the top. Spring is when prices go up.

Good luck with your search. They are fun as hell to drive. I miss driving one, so like you I will be in one again for the driving fun.

The only way I would buy a 4cyl is if I was transplanting a V8 into it immediately. Since they are usually priced lower than a 6cyl.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
As a former 4 owner. I say just get a new 6.

Less of a headache and more fun.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I drove a 2003 Wrangler 6cyl for almost 14 years. Funnest vehicle I ever owned, but others are right - even with 6 cylinders, trying to come up to speed to merge onto the freeway was pretty tough. I couldn't imagine a 4 cylinder. As for a CJ - lot's of fun, but watch the turning and cornering. They have a narrower wheelbase and can tip - something to consider if younger drivers will be driving them.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The last 4 banger Jeep I had was in 1962.

All the 5 Jeeps I've had were fun--some when I bought them, some when I sold them. I prefer the V6 JK series. Inspect undercarriage well. Good luck

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Skip the 4. I like the LJ versions personally but watch out for rust in the “rocker” areas below the doors..Often hiding under some diamond plate or other such coverings.

If going CJ, look for rust or covered up rust. Stay away from fiberglass replacement tubs, diamond plate, bedliner covered floors etc. Stay away from previously modified stuff(regeared, motor swaps etc). Look for something as stock as possible for the most part.

I miss my CJ but the newer Jeeps make much better daily drivers. My JK (2010) was decent overall but kind of lost the Jeep feel IMO. The TJ/LJ is a nice balance of old and new IMO.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife’s DD is a 2011 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. It was purchased new. It has almost 120,000 miles on it, gets 19-21 mpg, and has been trouble free. She commuted daily to Jackson Hole Airport from about 35 miles NE of there, arriving at the airport before the snowplows were out in the morning. She loves that Jeep.

I misread your post. I thought you were looking at Jeeps made after 2006, I now see you wrote “before.” For a DD, I would seriously consider going with a JK.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
The last 4 banger Jeep I had was in 1962.

All the 5 Jeeps I've had were fun--some when I bought them, some when I sold them. I prefer the V6 JK series. Inspect undercarriage well. Good luck

Yes, agree. I’ve had a bunch from 1960 to 2010. The 1967 CJ5 with 4 banger would never quit but man it was slow, I can hear that metal gas pedal smashed to the floor right now! Brakes were fun too...and the vacuum wipers....good times!

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I think I'm the only guy here that doesn't mind the 4 banger! It's a great little engine, the 2.5 liter 'Iron Duke" was in production FOR-EV-ER and is bombproof. Yeah the 4.0 and earlier 4.2 straight six are more powerful, but they both get the job done.

I just spent the weekend driving around Martha's Vineyard in a 5 speed 4 banger. Four adults in the jeep and driving through sand wasn't an issue. As others have said, stay away from rust, but I wouldn't be hesitant to grab a mid 90s YJ or even a TJ.

Personally, I do not like the JK. Too wide, too long, and too heavy for the anemic Chrysler V6 that they shove in there.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Too bad you're so far away...
I've got a '95 YJ with the 4cyl and 5speed that's about to be disposed of.
It's the vehicle all three of my kids learned to drive a stick in, and although the last one thrashed it pretty good, the bones are still there.
Replace the rotted out rear piece of frame, the wormy floorboards, the 5 speed that only has 4 (common issue), the gnarly soft top and the crusty hardtop, maybe a couple new fenders, and you'll really have something!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I have a 96 Cherokee with the 6, my girlfriend has a 96 with the 4 cylinder. The first time I drove it I was surprised how peppy it was. The gearing makes it surprisingly tolerable, and this is coming from a person who feels that anything under 400 hp is significantly underpowered.

You won't be towing with the 4 cylinder, and you won't probably want to do any long stints on the interstate. If you are planning on lifting it or getting bigger tires, I would avoid the 4 cylinder. If you're going to leave it stock and just screw around on the weekends though, the 4 should be adequate. For that matter, I wheeled with a guy for a while that had a 4 cylinder TJ on 37s. He wasn't going anywhere fast, but he had no problem keeping up off road around here.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too wide, too long, and too heavy for the anemic Chrysler V6 that they shove in there.

Most of the JK Jeepers I know consider the 285hp V6 to be quite adequate. However, OP use seems to be open to earlier renditions of the platform.

Each generation of Jeep I have owned, has had its own special features that made me happy whatever the configuration. The post 2012 upgrades have made the JK series more road comfortable.

I recall the brotherly disagreement my buddies had long ago, between the XKE and the Corvette brother. Each would poke some perceived design error at the other. Finally the XKE guy had enough and mentioned as an aside, the Corvette of that era seemed a little pudgy for a real sports car.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the JK Jeepers I know consider the 285hp V6 to be quite adequate. However, OP use seems to be open to earlier renditions of the platform.

I hate the torque curve of the pentastar. It might just be perception, but I was extremely disappointed when they dropped the 4.0 HO motor and went with that thing. It shows its true dog-like nature when paired with Dana 44s.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I think I'm the only guy here that doesn't mind the 4 banger!

Nope there's two of us. Smile

Mine has the 2.4 Chrysler w/6-speed and I enjoy driving it. Yeah it's slow, it's a 4-cylinder. Duh.

All depends on your priority's. I'm not interested in rock climbing or mud bogging, just wanted the ability to drive in snow and mild off-roading. Mine zips around town just fine. It's fun to orange line it while passing slower traffic. Razz

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post