SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Liquor store has private gun club in back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liquor store has private gun club in back Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Who says booze and guns don't go together Big Grin

Two brothers in Washington state claim their liquor store has the largest selection of mini liquor bottles — but that’s not what sets this store apart from others around the country.

T Brothers Liquor and Wine Lodge in Olympia is the only liquor store in the country that also has a private gun club in the back, the owners Andy and Mike Thielen claim.

“We don’t think there’s anything like this in the country,” said Andy Thielen, co-owner of both the liquor store and the Glacier Gun Club, said to K5 News.

The Glacier Gun Club is behind an unmarked locked door in the liquor store that members must be swiped into.

The Thielens opened the liquor store in 2012 and wanted to use the space in the back that was meant for storage.

“We believe every square foot is a dollar missing if you’re not utilizing it properly,” said Mike to K5. In 2015, the brothers opened up the members-only gun club.

Mike said the NRA warned the brothers that a membership-only club wouldn’t work.

“They said a membership program-only will not work without selling ammo and holsters and big gun retail,” Mike recalled. “But I knew if we built it right, they will come.”

The Thielens built a swanky gun lodge with leather couches, a cigar lounge, six shooting range lanes and a training room where Mike says he and his brother are always available to give tips or advice to shooters as part of the membership.

Currently the brothers have more than 1,000 members in the gun club. All new members have to pass a required background check, pay $100 initiation and $30 per month for unlimited use of the range. And, even though the club is behind a liquor store, members are not allowed to bring any alcohol into the venue.

“Everyone’s been vetted,” said Mike to K5. “You know who’s shooting next to you.”

Andy told K5 that in the three years since they have opened the gun club, they have never had a problem with alcohol.

“They understand,” he said. “They remember signing the rules.”

However, the brothers don’t mind if gun club members buy alcohol on their way out of the range.

“It’s like the gift shop coming out of a Disneyland ride,” Mike joked to K5.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...this-in-country.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Liquor up front, shoot 'em in the rear...

(John Anderson song just a swangin' in the backround)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Should be called "Shots & Shots".

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My father is a member at Glacier Gun Club. I have had the chance to shoot there a few times over the last couple of years when I fly out to visit.

VERY Nice club. I grew up in Olympia WA, never would have thought that such a club would open in Olympia. Never...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's actually an interesting concept.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll say it:
"Guns & Rosés"

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
we've always said Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a gov agency.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
That's cooler Cool than the drug and gun store in McCaysville GA...fill out your 4473 while your prescription is being filled...

http://mccaysvilledrugcenter.com

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a Tennessee State Trooper vehicle parked in front of McCaysville Drug & Gun

http://mccaysvilledrugcenter.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Too good to be true Big Grin

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
It is true - My sons bought me a membership for fathers day two years ago - Great Place !!

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One Liquor store that will never be robbed?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Having a cigar lounge along with a shooting range is a great idea alone.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
we've always said Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a gov agency.

That's great. Big Grin

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$30,000 a month in revenue plus whatever $100 new membership applications they get, sounds like they're doing fairly well, plus whatever liquor they sell....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Interesting combination.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
Having a cigar lounge along with a shooting range is a great idea alone.
Only if the air circulation keeps the smoke in the lounge.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post