SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what did these folks think was going to happen by vaping these chemicals?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what did these folks think was going to happen by vaping these chemicals? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

It's the assholes running negative camber in their ricer blowing clouds of blueberry cotton candy smell out of both windows that I get stuck behind that I hope wind up in an iron lung with uncontrolled anal leakage. Because "relax bro, it's just vape."

Just a magnificent rant. My wife just came in the room asking what’s so funny. Thanks for that.

Big Grin

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I always laughed at the kids who would tell me, oh, but it's only water vapor. Riiiight.

But the whole thing reminded me of Bob Newhart's hilarious sketch about the introduction of tobacco.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the only people getting sick are the ones using the weird ass Chinese stuff, or the cartridges that made by highly questionable sources.

The whole vape hysteria reminds me of anti gun people talking about firearms issues when they have no first hand knowledge and just listen to the media.

But either way, The stuff you get in some vape shops or gas stations is obviously questionable. The products made by established companies who sell in nationwide stores are just fine in regard to not dying the way these few people did.

The point is, if you’re gonna vape, don’t buy shit from shady people or the Chinese

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking a few years ago & vaping never even entered my mind as an alternative. Sucking mystery chemicals into your lungs can't possibly be any better than smoking. Is that stuff even regulated?

Either smoke or don't smoke, but vaping makes about as much sense as sucking tits through a sweater.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
vaping makes about as much sense as sucking tits through a sweater.

Wait, hold on a minute. I've seen a few sets I'd do that to. The only death risk is if my wife or the girls boyfriend happened to see me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post

Laughing as I sit here vaping reading this OMG! thread.
I already have a Mother, don't need another one.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
vaping makes about as much sense as sucking tits through a sweater

Angora? Ah, college mammeries.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The deaths are from those ingesting THC that contains a blend with Vitamin E acetate (whatever that is).

Any of the other illness related cases are likely using Chinese imported fluids on which there are no controls.

The shops mixing fluids are using vegetable oil, propylene glycol (which is FDA approved and is in food and medicines everywhere), nicotine and whatever flavor is chosen. Other than the nicotine, which is a poison, there's not much there to place blame on.

Those trying to ban or restrict or regulate (tax) vaping products are intentionally blurring the line between the THC/Vitamin E problematic vaping with the other vaping products.

Pretty much like the gun control crowd claims there is an 'assault weapons' problem - when its not 'assault weapons' (actually semi-automatic rifles, but they purposely blur that line, too) that are being used in firearm related crimes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Darwin works in many ways....................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
The deaths are from those ingesting THC that contains a blend with Vitamin E acetate (whatever that is).

Any of the other illness related cases are likely using Chinese imported fluids on which there are no controls.

The shops mixing fluids are using vegetable oil, ethylene glycol (which is FDA approved and is in food everywhere), nicotine and whatever flavor is chosen. Other than the nicotine, which is a poison, there's not much there to place blame on.

Those trying to ban or restrict or regulate (tax) vaping products are intentionally blurring the line between the THC/Vitamin E problematic vaping with the other vaping products.

Pretty much like the gun control crowd claims there is an 'assault weapons' problem - when its not 'assault weapons' (actually semi-automatic rifles, but they purposely blur that line, too) that are being used in firearm related crimes.

This!

The only sickness has been from people using vapes that have the THC mixed with vitamin e oil. That makes it easier for people to get high so they don't have to use as much. Just like the people who sell fentanyl mixed with corstarch instead of pure heroin.

This is a move by the tobacco lobby to dominate the vape space. Juul is the only makes with a tobacco flavored vape juice and they are partially owned by big tobacco.

They followed the rham line well and didn't let a good crisis go to waste.

People have been vaping for over 10 years now with no major health issues.

Y'all are 100% playing into the media hype.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Reminder in this thread that 95% causation/source of the ICU trips and deaths are from
Unregulated THC sources only.

It’s the medium that is of significant issue.
Like vitamin E.
Vitamin E is not used in nicotine vape products, which are regulated.
Reports from over here and up to the fed level have been linking it to the ignition chain.

This is only relative to THC vape cartridges.

(Or What that guy said above my post and was quoted above. Beat this damn horse...lolz.)

At scurvy: what you mean media hype?! We got patients and dead folks.
Where’s hype?
News items and cautionary advise yes, hype? No.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The media is helping conflate a handful of deaths related to vaping thc into an outright ban of 99% of vaping products.

This is a movement being pushed by the tobacco lobby to help them corner the vape market and force more people back into smoking.

Just shocking to see so many people on a pro-freedom forum be totally cool with outright banning a product millions of people use safely because a couple idiots misuse said product and it kills someone.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Vitamin E acetate (whatever that is)

Acetate is a salt. Vitamin E acetate is a supplement, and is being used as a thickening agent. My wife, on occasion, used to pop open Vitamin E gel caps and spread the contents on a blemish. I'm not sure it worked any better than aloe pinched out of the plant or fresh air.

Evidently, as good a vitamin as E may be, inhaling it is on the Don't-Go-There list. Misuse of a "natural" product (it may also be produced synthetically) is nothing new in human evolution, but this is one of the more dunderheaded examples.

The closest I've come is using pumpkin spice and nutmeg as pigments in hide glue. Big Grin But a pinch of clay soil suspended in 151 vodka is an acceptable spirit stain.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An interesting discussion.

I normally would not care in the least what sorts of chemicals and other foreign substances someone chose to introduce into his body and what the consequences might be unless it was something like the fungus that turns ants into zombies. In this case, though, a close relative whom I actually care about vapes (is that the proper verb?).

When he adopted vaping I was somewhat relieved that he’d given up smoking, but now this is a little disconcerting. It’s all well and good to defend the practice, but as usual its defenders ignore possibly relevant facts. The first is that 10 years is hardly long enough to demonstrate that the practice is safe with no health hazards. Some people are assuming that the current problems are due solely to the adulterants being used now for various reasons from enhancing the effects of THC to the fact that imported or bootleg products are (all of a sudden, evidently) being produced with dangerous ingredients. We should keep in mind, however, that it took decades for it to be realized that smoking cigarettes can cause serious health problems. It was in fact widely believed at one time that the habit was actually beneficial; that’s why my father got my mother to start.

The other flaw in the “We’ve been vaping for 10 years now without any health problems” argument is the question of who is doing it. The CDC reports that the practice is far more common among young people, and the fact that they are young and far more likely to be fit and healthy than older people can affect its apparent effects. As just one example, of the people who develop lung cancer less than 2.5% do so before age 45. The longer vaping is practiced as people grow older, the more likely it is that any health hazards it poses will become apparent.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Breathing tobacco , vaping materials , marajuana or any other crap into your lungs is a bad choice. Pay the piper.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
...but [stupid act] makes about as much sense as sucking tits through a sweater.
LMAO!!! STOLEN!! Big Grin Big Grin To be applied to a variety of inane, senseless idiocy performed by individuals (to include myself) on a daily basis.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Personal
Electronic
Nicotine
Ingestion
System

Read the first letters, that's what I see when I see people walking around with them.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It matters little to me what people do for a few reasons.

1. People are gonna do what the damned well want. (In public, they may briefly comply.)

2. Unless you are my non-adult child, it is none of my business, with few exceptions.

3. Except you are in a position that your actions have direct impact. i.e. drunk or drugged up pilot, surgeon and that sort of thing out to a good number of decimal places. (or vaping in my presence where it "invades my space".)

4. You work or report to me and your actions affect my ass. Also carried out many decimal places.

As to this issue with vaping. Vape gasoline, vape cat shit, vape unicorn farts. But do not ask for a single tax penny for your life if things turn out bad.

In exchange, I will not agree to any lobby efforts, nor vote to support any laws or regulations to impede your vaping, nor speak negatively about your actions.

I never did for tobacco, and I had/have a few dogs in that fight, and deal directly to those individuals.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Smoking, vaping, meth, crack, McDonald’s..don’t expect me to feel sorry for you. They knew or should have known the risks.

The issue is the total lack of oversight, and how it is everywhere and easily available to minors. The public perception is that it was 100% safe... well that isn't true..

If adults want to poison themselves with any number of substances, OK but lets at least regulate it enough that teenagers have to make an effort to get it.

Also, it would be nice to know how safe it really is, and what it actually is made from.

Vaping is dumb

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Pretty sure the only people getting sick are the ones using the weird ass Chinese stuff, or the cartridges that made by highly questionable sources.

The whole vape hysteria reminds me of anti gun people talking about firearms issues when they have no first hand knowledge and just listen to the media.

Nailed it.

I find it fascinating to see people who distrust government and the dominant "news" media for essentially everything, then, here comes something they don't do, don't understand, maybe do not like, and they're right lock step

Makes me want to go right out and buy some flavoured vape juice. And maybe a new vape mod. Not because I particularly want them. I stopped vaping a couple years ago, after a brief experiment, but just because I still can. And because it'll annoy people.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Also, it would be nice to know how safe it really is, and what it actually is made from.

Depends.

Here's a Reader's Digest version of what constitutes most vape juice from reputable makers: What is e-juice made out of?

There've been actual real studies done. Those studies have found vaping is about ten times less dangerous than cigarette smoking. You can find them if you're truly curious.

The "popcorn lung" thing is old, very old news. Nobody legitimate uses the chemical that was responsible for that any more. Haven't for years.

quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Vaping is dumb

I think a lot of things people do are dumb. Doesn't mean I think they should be blanket banned.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post