SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So what did these folks think was going to happen by vaping these chemicals?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So what did these folks think was going to happen by vaping these chemicals? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Are people really surprised that people are dying from inhaling a bunch of chemicals???

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm still aghast that anyone thinks it's a good idea to put flame to dried leaves and inhale the smoke. If that's such a great idea, why aren't people burning their yard leaves and standing over the conflagration inhaling the smoke?

Vaping is just the next rung on the same ladder.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
If that's such a great idea, why aren't people burning their yard leaves and standing over the conflagration inhaling the smoke?
If we're going to be silly, this thread will have a short life span.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we just had three teenagers get put in ICU over vaping some THC oil. Basically as I understood it, it starts as a liquid, the liquid turns into a vapor, and then once inside the lungs it turned back into liquid and coated the inside of the lungs. This put them into respiratory arrest, and eventually put one in cardiac arrest.

At least that is how it was explained to me, so if it isn't exactly correct, forgive me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37082 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some of the vape stuff creates "popcorn lung", where the small alveoli get coated and the effect is irreversible.

You can breathe like vacuum, but you slowly suffocate.

I am so glad to have quit smoking 30 years ago.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Smoking, vaping, meth, crack, McDonald’s..don’t expect me to feel sorry for you. They knew or should have known the risks.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Ok, never smoked and never vaped. But vaping has been around for a while now, how come all of a sudden I keep hearing about illnesses from it in the news? Is this something that has been around and just not reported or has something in the vape liquid changed?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breathing water vapor isn't healthy.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
......vaping has been around for a while now, how come all of a sudden I keep hearing about illnesses from it in the news? Is this something that has been around and just not reported or has something in the vape liquid changed?

I have the same question. Crickets, and then all the sudden a massive media blitz.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, never smoked and never vaped. But vaping has been around for a while now, how come all of a sudden I keep hearing about illnesses from it in the news? Is this something that has been around and just not reported or has something in the vape liquid changed?

<sarcasm>Shockingly</sarcasm>,the black market follows the innovation of the more free market. So these illegally produced THC vape carts are causing problems.

also it's a non-issue only a handful of deaths unlike the the 40,000 from cigarettes.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:

<sarcasm>Shockingly</sarcasm>,the black market follows the innovation of the more free market. So these illegally produced THC vape carts are causing problems.

also it's a non-issue only a handful of deaths unlike the the 40,000 from cigarettes.

Except deaths from cigarettes typically takes decades of heavy use.

I enjoy a cigarette every now and then, and by that I mean a couple of times a year. I think tobacco is great, in most all of its forms, when not abused. Vaping to me though has always seemed just straight up stupid. Just outright silly. But that's just my opinion. If people want to vape, by all means, vape.

Ingesting oil vapor though, even only a handful of times, seems to be a very bad idea. But I guess so does smoke...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:

It's well over 500,000 deaths from cigarettes just in the US. (About 480K from smoking and over 40K from second-hand smoke.) Link

I quit cigarettes over 10 years ago.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How many cigarette smokers died after their first pack or two, not saying it's healthy or ideal,

When companies make up liquid based THC or Nicotine vapers, tons of people will line up.
Consequently with zero oversight, you'll get some screwed up shit being sold. If you do monitor and restrict it, kids will buy it off the black market anyway.

These things hit with massively more Nicotine than a cigarette, while you may not be huffing the carcinogens who knows wtf you are putting in your lungs because nobody monitors or tests them...

Comparing how cigarettes kill to how these are killing kids quickly isn't the same thing...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
These little vape shops that are popping up like mushrooms that claim "they mix their own oils"so it's "safe", are getting their components from godknowswhere.

99% chance from China and it is incompetently produced at best, counterfeit at worst or just plain corner cutting to make another penny.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34083 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Smoking, vaping, meth, crack, McDonald’s..don’t expect me to feel sorry for you. They knew or should have known the risks.

Problem as I see it - you can't tell today's kids anything. They already know everything.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I don't know the numbers but the economics of vaping are enormous, judging from the number of those shops that have popped up in the past 5-10 years. I think this thing mushroomed so fast that FDA was unable to keep up. We saw the same thing happen with Spice or K2 about 10 years ago, which was thought to be harmless. It took a couple years for the law to catch up.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ailments have probably been around since vaping inception. Compared to the number of people vaping (teenagers included) the illnesses and deaths are not even a rounding error. Add to that almost all reports include people vaping both nicotine and THC.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I don't know the numbers but the economics of vaping are enormous, judging from the number of those shops that have popped up in the past 5-10 years. I think this thing mushroomed so fast that FDA was unable to keep up. We saw the same thing happen with Spice or K2 about 10 years ago, which was thought to be harmless. It took a couple years for the law to catch up.

We are seeing fake Xanax bars that are heavily laced with Fentanyl. It has been all over the news about the number of ODs that have been happening, including 3 14 year olds. All over the news. All over social media. You'd think that the remote chance that you'd OD would halt illicit sales of Xanax bars.

Nope.

My point is that people who are addicts, to taking pills or sticking thinks in their lungs, will discount the real risks of what they are doing so they can keep doing it. They do so in hopes that when they stick that gun to their head, its an empty chamber and someone else gets the loaded one.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37082 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m betting that the ones getting sick from it are the chuckleheads that puff like a dragon from the time they wake up til the time they go to bed. It’s like a damn pacifier for these people. If they can’t have it in hand and puff every few seconds they’ll meltdown.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We saw the same thing happen with Spice or K2 about 10 years ago, which was thought to be harmless. It took a couple years for the law to catch up.

It was synthetic THC sprayed on wood chips, basically what you line a hamster cage with soaked with non-pharmaceutical grade Marinol. Now people are getting sick with what is, at best, popcorn lung. I mean hey, weed and tobacco have been known quantities for years. Same with drain cleaner. But yeah, spark up or vape the NEW hotness that's a complete unknown factor. Because it's healthier and you won't ever become a part of a NEW statistic.

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I’m betting that the ones getting sick from it are the chuckleheads that puff like a dragon from the time they wake up til the time they go to bed. It’s like a damn pacifier for these people. If they can’t have it in hand and puff every few seconds they’ll meltdown.

It's the assholes running negative camber in their ricer blowing clouds of blueberry cotton candy smell out of both windows that I get stuck behind that I hope wind up in an iron lung with uncontrolled anal leakage. Because "relax bro, it's just vape."

If you used it to quit a many year heavy smoking habit, I'm not talking about you. If you used it to replace a many year heavy smoking habit and do it in public places, then I guess the shoe fits and you should wear it.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post