SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you cash out this 457b???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you cash out this 457b??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I know the answer is generally no but this is slightly different.

My wife has a pretty small 457b from when she worked part time for the state for a year.
She has not worked there for 5 years now and were informed inactivity fees are about to commence. Fees are currently $100 a year going to $200.
My wife put no money into this account ever it was all employer contributions. Frankly we forgot all about it as that job was just a little side thing and her other employer matched 2 to 1 with no limit so we were maxing that.
The account sits at $5,000 it is state controlled and can’t be rolled to her other employer retirement accounts only to a private IRA. That at this point we would not contribute to as we aren’t maxing out our current employers retirement accounts (funding them nicely just not maxing them currently).

My understanding is that since she is no longer employed there if she cashed it out it is just taxed like regular old income with no penalty.
If we cash it out I can pay for a year of one of the boys private school tuition and save 4%.
So essentially we are loosing income tax minus 4% on money we never contributed.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Rolling it over to a private IRA is surprisingly easy, and you preserve any tax advantages.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would roll it over into a Vanguard index fund and let it ride.

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roll it, you got time to grow it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Another thing I forgot to add.
The middle boy who this would pay for school has not reached kindergarten so it counts as child care and can be deducted from ones taxes. Or at least it used to be I don’t know what all the new tax stuff messed with.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I thought she had to be of a certain age (55?) to avoid an early-withdrawal penalty.

Roll it into an index fund IRA with Fidelity. You'll be glad you did.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I would cash it out. It’s also my understanding that in our state you can draw the money without penalty once your employment with the state/local government is terminated. I don’t trust our state government for a second so I would pull the money out. What you do with it from there is your call.

I have a 457 account that I contribute to every check. I’m about to end that and start a private fund so it’s out of the states hands. People have told me that the state can’t touch the money in my 457, and this may be true, but I’m paranoid about what the state will do with the retirement system in such a mess.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're correct on no 10% penalty for 457b but you would be subject to fed income tax as noted, and it would increase to total taxable income by whatever amount is cashed out. Not sure on your state rules. Usually the administrator will take a fixed amount of fed/state tax out unless you tell them to take more. The good news is if your effective tax rate (and your adjusted gross income) is lower now due to lots of deductions, you may not even be hit that hard. Though I would make sure you're not anywhere near breakpoints in the tax code where you could lose credits and can't take full deductions.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Roll to Schwab IRA, buy a Vnaguard index fund, and forget about it.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Interesting that so many think they know your investment objectives, time horizon and risk profile sufficiently to recommend one or another of the big name index fund providers, never mind they aren't saying which index would meet your unknown objectives etc. Besides that it isn't the question you asked.

For your consideration: investment choice aside,

If you take it out now you have income tax and as far as the info you gave, the pre-55 additional penalty. It won't kill you but its money you could let grow.

If you don't need the dough, my initial advice, knowing what I know now, would be to roll over to an individual IRA.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I would roll it over into a FIDELITY index fund and let it ride.

-----------------------------------------

Fixed it for ya!
Fidelity has lower fees, and hence better returns in their index funds than Vangaurd.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The middle boy who this would pay for school has not reached kindergarten so it counts as child care and can be deducted from ones taxes. Or at least it used to be I don’t know what all the new tax stuff messed with.

If the child care expenses are deductible, you're saving 4% by paying upfront, and you're sure about the day care place, that's what I would do. Your income will go up by the amount taken out and be reduced by the child care deduction. I'd also take the monthly amount you would have paid for the child care and bump up your retirement plan contributions or get a supercharger for the Sienna.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Interesting that so many think they know your investment objectives, time horizon and risk profile sufficiently to recommend one or another of the big name index fund providers, never mind they aren't saying which index would meet your unknown objectives etc. Besides that it isn't the question you asked.

For your consideration: investment choice aside,

If you take it out now you have income tax and as far as the info you gave, the pre-55 additional penalty. It won't kill you but its money you could let grow.

If you don't need the dough, my initial advice, knowing what I know now, would be to roll over to an individual IRA.

It is my understanding there is no pre55 penalty associated with a 457b if one is no longer employed by the entity where the account originated.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

If the child care expenses are deductible, you're saving 4% by paying upfront, and you're sure about the day care place, that's what I would do. Your income will go up by the amount taken out and be reduced by the child care deduction. I'd also take the monthly amount you would have paid for the child care and bump up your retirement plan contributions or get a supercharger for the Sienna.

They have been in years past. I do not know enough about the new tax plan that was just past for 2018 to know for sure or not.

We are positive about the school. The nice part is it is not a daycare. It is an actual preschool the kids will remain there until High School.

————————————————

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
roll it over to a private IRA with someone like Fidelity

make the money do some work in this stock market

its free Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, this is from Kiplinger, always very informative and easier to figure out than IRS speak. You can find this at their site, I just clipped the parts germane to what you are doing.
You're right on the penalty free nature of this type of account.

(Snipped Comparison of 401 types and this one) But there are a few key differences. The biggest one is the rule for withdrawing money after you leave your job. With a 457, you can take penalty-free withdrawals at any age. With a 401(k), if you leave a job before the year you reach age 55, they will be a 10% penalty on any withdrawals before age 59 ½. Keep your money in the 457 after you leave your job, rather than rolling it into an IRA, if you may want to access the money before age 59½. If it’s in an IRA, withdrawals before then are subject to a 10% penalty.
Read more at https://www.kiplinger.com/arti...#hly5G8JwSaUiMMrA.99

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post