SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stanley Kubrick shoots the NYC subway, 1946
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stanley Kubrick shoots the NYC subway, 1946 Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I love looking at old photos. I know from previous threads that there are a few here who might like this series of photos Kubrick did as a 16 year old for 'Look' magazine.

Here's a sample:

https://dangerousminds.net/com...e_n.y.c._subway_1946

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of his work.
I need to go find some of his earlier films that I haven't seen.
Thanks

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
One can see even at early age that Kubrick had that style and eye for imagery that would show up later in his film work. Wide, one-point perspective shots like the one above would become a major type of shot in his films.

Hard to believe that shortly after his stint as a Look photographer, he directed The Killing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

Newspaper: The original smartphone!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Even the bums dressed up out in public back then.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very, very few overweight, fat or obese people back then! Post depression, post war... no chemicals in food, no fast food, people walked and were lean. I remember back to when I was a kid in the early to mid fifties and while folks ate rich foods, very few looked like most of the people coming out of Costco or Sam's Club these days. Great photos especially for a sixteen year old.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post