SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Red Flag Warning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Red Flag Warning Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
not even April and we got our first warning

last year I think the first one was in June

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Judging by your location...I'm guessing you're not talking hurricanes...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's so God-awful wet around here we'll be lucky to a fire season at all.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
All the water is in California.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does that mean, "red flag"?.....sincerely

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
nope - humidity less than 20%, winds 20 - 25 and temps in the 80's

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we have had several in CO already. well, and fires too, unfortunately.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Colorado will be having a tough year based upon the amount of moisture it didn't get this winter...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be problems on the front range and the prairie because the high country got absolutely nailed this year. The snowpack is very deep. So at least we have that.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
We're in a county-wide fire ban at present in what's historically our wetest month. No fires, no shooting except lead rounds, no smoking in the open, etc.

Being a gun forum, this may be of more than passing interest:

A week ago Sunday we had four fires and two were positively caused by recreational shooting (not tracer and not tannerite, either).

I was at one on National Forest land where the shooter was firing at shoot-and-see targets stapled to a downed log in an open short-grass meadow with a .270. He apparently hit low and struck a rock and 350 acres later USFS crews had it put out. The shooters skeedaddled.

Another one was on the berm at the local range and that went 550 acres of hard grass.

The Sheriff (wildland fire marshal) says we'll need three feet to lift the ban.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I question the ability of a copper jacketed lead core .270 bullet to cause a spark.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Damn. For a second there I was thinking the surf was up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bullet doesn't cause the spark, what it hits and what that hits can cause the spark, like flint and steel make a spark.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I question the ability of a copper jacketed lead core .270 bullet to cause a spark.

You can question all you want to, but that's what happened without a doubt. I have the witnesses, the tire tracks the pile of .270 brass, the abandoned targets and the strike on the rock with a wind-driven burned track from there past the targets.

Posts: 590 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Not looking forward to it. June and July typically the worst. Nothing compared to what you guys out west get, but brush jobs still really suck.

Two years ago we had 30 acres go up the day before my second interview for my current job. Two kids started a campfire to cook pop tarts (allegedly) in reservoir land. 9 alarms, 20 fire companies and my own personal 10hr in the woods until 2am before it was out, and I still made it to the interview at 8am. Got the job too Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
What does that mean, "red flag"?.....sincerely

It indicates an extremely bad fire weather day. Generally low humidity, high winds, or both.

They are issued by the National Weather Service. You can think of it as a tornado or hurricane warning, but for fire danger.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Question it all you like. If you ever have watched a berm with NODS during a night fire, there are LOTS of sparks. Small rocks, debris, and all sorts of stuff will cause sparks.

Same sort of stuff happens during the day.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
we have had several in CO already. well, and fires too, unfortunately.

And in South Dakota as well as Nebraska. Red flags and fires. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john1:
You can question all you want to, but that's what happened without a doubt. I have the witnesses, the tire tracks the pile of .270 brass, the abandoned targets and the strike on the rock with a wind-driven burned track from there past the targets.

...we need a "like" button.

These fires were bad enough but if one gets loose and goes crazy it will be very, very bad.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Judging by your location...I'm guessing you're not talking hurricanes...

Thought the same thing at first but guessing it's fire related.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post