SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help with a tire recommendation for a 2012 Camaro SS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help with a tire recommendation for a 2012 Camaro SS Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

This is what I have on my 5.0 Mustang. I'm satisfied with their performance.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something R rated probably
No dealer in their right mind will put a R speed rated tire on a 2012 Camaro SS.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
No dealer in their right mind will put a R speed rated tire on a 2012 Camaro SS.

I suspect the industry has protected him from himself. I seriously doubt you can find an R rated tire in that size to begin with! Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm. It's like two
40s with every shot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
The best high performance tires with decent rain handling are the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. After running Pilot Sports for years, I decided to try these and love them. Just note they are heavier than pilot sports.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...a+S-04+Pole+Position

These are what I put on my Pontiac G8 GT. Great tires.

Posts: 618 | Registered: March 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never put a tire with a lower speed rating than what came on the vehicle. Many in the industry consider this a legal risk and won't do it either. The rating you need to focus on is the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade). Check the side of the tire and get the UTQG, I believe you will find that your tires have a UTQG rating of 220. This is very soft. For better tire life, get something with a higher rating. It is not exact but tires with a rating o 300-400 are usually pretty good and get reasonably good tire life. On my sports car, I get about 25K and I drive my car very hard. 400-500 will get you even more mileage and tires above 500 UTQG are generally high mileage tires...most are all-season tires. Note however, that each step will reduce your handling and ultimate dry grip.

Tires purchases are extremely complex and the wrong decision can ruin your car's handling. You need to balance ultimate dry vs wet grip, ride comfort, total mileage, intended use, noise in addition to the cost. I recommend you trolling some Camaro sites to see what the enthusiasts are buying for cars similar to yours and your intended use. In addition to the dimensions I mentioned, tires tend to work better on specific vehicles. So what works very well on a Mustang may not be a good fit for a Camaro. That's why you get better information from the enthusiasts.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T-Boy:
I would never put a tire with a lower speed rating than what came on the vehicle. Many in the industry consider this a legal risk and won't do it either. The rating you need to focus on is the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade). Check the side of the tire and get the UTQG, I believe you will find that your tires have a UTQG rating of 220. This is very soft. For better tire life, get something with a higher rating. It is not exact but tires with a rating o 300-400 are usually pretty good and get reasonably good tire life. On my sports car, I get about 25K and I drive my car very hard. 400-500 will get you even more mileage and tires above 500 UTQG are generally high mileage tires...most are all-season tires. Note however, that each step will reduce your handling and ultimate dry grip.

Tires purchases are extremely complex and the wrong decision can ruin your car's handling. You need to balance ultimate dry vs wet grip, ride comfort, total mileage, intended use, noise in addition to the cost. I recommend you trolling some Camaro sites to see what the enthusiasts are buying for cars similar to yours and your intended use. In addition to the dimensions I mentioned, tires tend to work better on specific vehicles. So what works very well on a Mustang may not be a good fit for a Camaro. That's why you get better information from the enthusiasts.

Wow very good information. Thanks

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post