SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help with a tire recommendation for a 2012 Camaro SS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help with a tire recommendation for a 2012 Camaro SS Login/Join 
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted
I have a 2012 Camaro SS that has the factory Pirelli P-Zero tires on it and they are starting to show wear on them. Tire size 275/40 RZ20.

The factory tires are way to soft/sticky and suck in the rain.

I 'm not looking for a high performance tire since my hot rodding days are long gone so no Z rated tire recommendations please.

A good all weather tire would be great. Something R rated probably.

Any recommendations?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Check Tire Rack, then shop locally with the stores showing them the prices you find on TR, you'll get a better sense of what tires are available and prices.

Some stores might not mount less than Z rated tires on that car due to its ability to run speeds that will destroy non Z rated tires.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
The best high performance tires with decent rain handling are the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions. After running Pilot Sports for years, I decided to try these and love them. Just note they are heavier than pilot sports.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...a+S-04+Pole+Position

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Yokohama parada spec-x, 20" on my SUV and have been very happy with that tire over 65k miles and 5 years. Getting near needing to be replaced, I would buy the same tire again.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
I've had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow) on a few different cars with very good results. I've been one to try something new every time I bought new tires, just because I had to see what else was out there. The majority have been for performance cars. My last three purchases have been this tire, although they have come out with a DWS-06 now, which is an updated version that's supposedly better. They work well in the snow in the "less wide" versions, but I found out this week that they aren't super impressive in a 275/35/18 on packed snow, as that's what I have on my '01 M5. I have no complaints in the dry or wet though.

I did read your original post, and these are Z rated. I wasn't concerned about a letter so much as I was with their ultimate performance. They do not wear fast, don't make the car feel like dad's Grand Marquis, and are reasonably priced compared to others in its category. Don't let a letter scare you off.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...xtremeContact+DWS+06

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had Pirelli p zero summer tires on my 2016 mustang gt and hated them.

I switched them out for Michelin pilot as3 tires.
A much better all around tire, much more confidence inspiring in the rain.

Maybe a bit less capable at the limit but for regular driving much better

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
I drive a '99 TA.

I've tried Pirelli and Bridgestone. Not a fan of either.

The tire I've always liked the best is the Firestone Firehawk. Good traction wet or dry, decent longevity, good price. I typically pay around $100 ea for them. My tire guy will do all 4, out the door for around $450.

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stick to a Z rated tire as that is what the car and suspension and brakes are designed for. I've always been a huge fan of the Michelins and that's what I'd go for. Not sure if you could even find an R rated tired in 20's and that size.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Liked the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my Miata. Lasted 40K miles. Only thing that I didn't like was a slightly soft side wall. Good for the ride quality but not so good for hard cornering.

TD

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Dunno if they are available in that size, but I really liked the Dunlop SP-01 Sports that were on my old BMW.

My Mustang (with 20s) used to wear Nitto 555s. Excellent tire for the money, and no traction issues wet or dry. Shitty treadlife though.

Both of those are directional tires.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
If your Camaro has the carbon ceramic rotors be careful who you let put tires on it. One little scratch and your rotors will shatter the first time they are heated up.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I ran some summer performance tires on my old stang, and the rubber lasted much longer than I would have hoped. Bridgestones iirc.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scottbadger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would stick to a Z rated tire as that is what the car and suspension and brakes are designed for. I've always been a huge fan of the Michelins and that's what I'd go for. Not sure if you could even find an R rated tired in 20's and that size.

This. Michelin Z rated tires.

Posts: 634 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: March 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I run dedicated summer tires on the stock wheels and bought four extra wheels (knock off BMW) and have dedicated winter tires.

For summer: Michelin Pilot Sports - way better than stock, great in the heat, great in the rain, but horrific (like taking your life in your hands in any type of snow.

For winter: Used to run Dunlop Winter Sport M3's but now Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.

Since I purchased the tires at Sams Club it includes road hazard, balance, rotation, etc.

Best of luck!

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Another for the Conti DWS. 56,000 miles on my Subaru. Ready for another set.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of six732
posted Hide Post
I'm running Goodyear Eagle f1 Asymmetrics tires on my SS.

Posts: 782 | Location: South West Georgia | Registered: March 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
quote:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow)

This is what we have on our Pontiac G8GT and they have been wonderful tires.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Michelin pilot sport AS or whatever the equivalent is today.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I replaced my runflats on my BMW with the Conti DWS. Great tires. I'm getting ready to put a set of DWS on my Subaru this spring.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
'm not looking for a high performance tire since my hot rodding days are long gone so no Z rated tire recommendations please.

I was going to recommend Pilot Sports as well, but this precludes that. I'm most of the way through some Pirelli P-Zeros on a new car, and while not bad I'll definitely be going to the Pilots next.

However, your desire to avoid summer tires will limit your options in that size I suspect. Not sure if they make them in that size, but I've had great luck with some Pirelli P-Zero All-Seasons on my Infinti G35. Decent wear rate, great wet traction. I'd recommend those as an option.

eta - from looking at Tire Rack seems that they do, along with the DWS mentioned above and a good option.

Also, looks like your fronts are 245/45's too, just in case you're ordering yourself somewhere.... Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post