SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox Quantum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox Quantum? Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
57.0, 64 bit, Win 10

Rolled the dice and installed this morning. Seems much faster. Working for all?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I clicked on Firefox | About to find out what version I have, and it automatically upgraded to Quantum. Seems OK, but I'm turning off autoupdate.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hell, I will give it a try. My Firefox has sucked for months. Enough so that it drove me to Chrome which is really fast, but gOoGlE.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Firefox ESR v52.5 (Extended Support Release) Wink

No more weekly browser updates with all the latest 'features'....Security updates as needed (actually not that frequently), and runs like a top!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Reportedly this update kills a lot of plug ins and add ons. I'm going to wait a bit.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Firefox ESR v52.5 (Extended Support Release) Wink

No more weekly browser updates with all the latest 'features'....Security updates as needed (actually not that frequently), and runs like a top!

Yeah, I tried that after your suggestion. It did not seem to help. I will run Quantum for a while to see what's what. It does seem faster so far.

I can always default to Chrome.

"Reportedly this update kills a lot of plug ins and add ons. I'm going to wait a bit."

It does give you the option to "refresh" your installation and delete all your add-ons and return all settings to default. I elected NOT to do that and still have my add-ons.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Reportedly this update kills a lot of plug ins and add ons. I'm going to wait a bit.

I was unaware of Firefox Quantum until it was automatically installed and broke:

Theme Font & Size Changer

Classic Theme Restorer

Download YouTube Videos as MP4

And I need Theme Font & Size Changer to make the fonts on the tabs readable. (The default fonts are just too small on this display.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
And I need Theme Font & Size Changer to make the fonts on the tabs readable. (The default fonts are just too small on this display.)
Can't you just go to preferences | Language and Appearance | Fonts & Colors and then chose a larger font size?

The "Advanced" button even allows you to turn off pages fonts

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I always wait until the AddOn/Extension developers have caught up to the new version.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Todd: That just changes the default font sizes for web pages, not the font size of tabs. That is why "Theme Font & Size Changer" was written:

"Theme Font & Size Changer is a simple browser tool that lets you change the font size and font family of Firefox and several other Mozilla products. It is especially valuable tool for visually impaired people and wide screen users.

Different from add-ons that enlarge and reduce text on web pages, Theme Font & Size Changer changes the font size and font family in all windows, menus, toolbars, etc within Firefox itself."

And this shading on the right side of the tabs makes reading them even harder:

I may have to just restore my system from a backup that I made a few days ago.

Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I put it on my laptop today and everything mooovvveeddd sooooo slowly and kept freezing up.

I uninstalled it.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried it today on MacOS 10.12, much faster.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I can confirm FF blowed up all the extensions at or around FF 56. It's taken several weeks for uBlock Origin and LastPass to work again for me. I am still waiting on XMarks to be functional again before I can use the browser regularly.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
uBlock Origin never stopped working on either of my OSX machines. Started right up on Quantum too.

BTW, I ran CCleaner this evening and Quantum is much faster. Some of the old cache and installation artifacts must have been slowing it down.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Good catch. I noticed the uBlock Origin extension marked as "Legacy" but I think it still worked. The "Legacy" flag on it went away fairly quickly.

LastPass didn't work correctly until it was no longer "Legacy". XMarks is still legacy and is pretty badly jacked up if I try to sync it. I had to restore bookmarks on the XMarks side after my last attempt to sync.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
It would appear "Theme Font & Size Changer" has been updated, but much of the functionality has been removed. "Tabs on Bottom" no longer works, as well as NoScript.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 367 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
"Because of the new extension system on Firefox, most of the functionality of the Theme Font & Size Changer is not available any more. You can read more about this new system here."

i.e., Theme Font & Size Changer is still compatible, but it does not do anything useful.

Quantum Firefox is much faster than its previous incarnation, but I cannot read the tab toolbar and might as well use Opera for now. I think that this issue will be remedied eventually.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Just installed, much faster and it seems to have preserved all my options.

Will try it out a couple days before taking solace in the new Quantum.

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I will give them that it is faster.

I am not amused that they took away my ability to have bottom tabs, and made moving things around much more difficult. So far, all I have been able to find is a way to do it by adding some code in. Ugh.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have run it for about 18 hours so far. and I have gotten used to it. Faster, still not as fast as Chrome, but acceptable. More user-friendly to me than Chrome since I use FF routinely.

I didn't have a lot of add-ons, and so far what I need works.

Much better than the last iteration.

RMD