SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox Quantum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox Quantum? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks Frown Overnight, they moved Cookie Controller to Legacy Extensions. It's a much more sophisticated cookie manager that Firefox's default.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
From one of my security-related newsletters:

quote:

Firefox Quantum
(November 14, 2017)
Mozilla has released Firefox Quantum, otherwise known as Firefox 57. The newest version of the company's flagship browser is reportedly twice as fast as Firefox 52, which debuted in March 2017. Among the new aspects in Firefox Quantum are a redesigned rendering engine, a new user interface, and a return to Google as its default search engine.

Editor's Note

[Stephen Northcutt]
Firefox has been my default browser since its initial release and I have not had any interoperability problems. A browser not tied to Google/Alphabet, Microsoft, or Apple appeals to my sense of privacy. The bad news: about 70% of the code was refactored, or at least touched, in the update. That makes security problems likely. Suggest you use it for general browsing and a different browser for banking or online commerce.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
There seems to be two options if you want something that works like Mozilla used to and is still being maintained.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org - which will sunset in Q1 2019

Firefox ESR - which will be maintained through Q2 2018. The warning with this option is "Moving to Firefox 52 ESR after installing Firefox 55/56 might break your browser profile." More info on that here https://github.com/Aris-t2/Cla...eRestorer/issues/299

I've tried both options.

Reverting to Firefox 52 ESR did break my profile, but it was still usable.

It can't hurt to try out Waterfox which I will probably use as my primary browser for now.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Reading this subreddit has reinforced my trust in Waterfox : https://www.reddit.com/r/water...lass_mozilla_malware

I don't know what Mozilla's plans are, but if I don't encounter any problems with Waterfox in a month or so, I'm removing Firefox from my systems.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been and continue to be a Waterfox user. Current version is 56.0.1. Mr Alex, the developer, is said to be working on a whole new browser for the future.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am learning of Mr. Alex.

I had heard of Waterfox, but was never motivated to try it since I thought that its speed improvements were for Windows. It works well on mac OS. I just installed Waterfox last night, but I don't think I'll be using Firefox again, especially after learning of its privacy modifications.

Again, Waterfox sunsets in Q1 2019, but at least we were warned.