SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EW warfare - watches??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EW warfare - watches?? Login/Join 
posted
All these EW pods that the Russians and Americans have... when they actually start jamming, how vast is the electronics damage??? Will they fry a Casio G-Shock? Regular laptops? Cell phones? Or is it just tuned to the radar equipment?

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I'm ready...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:
All these EW pods that the Russians and Americans have... when they actually start jamming, how vast is the electronics damage??? Will they fry a Casio G-Shock? Regular laptops? Cell phones? Or is it just tuned to the radar equipment?

No, they won’t fry you watch. Frequency coverage can be very large depending on the system so as to be able to impact many different types of receivers. Jammers don’t have enough power to fry electronics at desired standoff ranges. They are used to confuse or spoof the bad guys receiving systems. As far as I know.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:...
No, they won’t fry you watch. ...

You never met the Raven.

Your watch telling time again? Nevermore.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I know the Raven

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raven?? context please

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raven?? context please

The Ruskies just keep saying about our casios, "It is the beating of his hideous heart!"

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. Well, I have to get a watch for someone on the Donald Cook. Needless to say, I want to get something for him that will work in worst case scenarios... So I guess a full automatic is the only option

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raven?? context please

The SparkVark. EF-111.

Wall to wall 20 feet tall bad whammer jammer.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Raven?? context please

The SparkVark. EF-111.

Wall to wall 20 feet tall bad whammer jammer.

I'll see your EF-111 and raise you a EC-130.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EW effects vary based on the system and configuration. Army has a wearable system that won't damage your personnel electronics. The truck mounted ones I used also didn't harm my personal electronics. Navy and Air Force have significantly more powerful systems and the early CREW, Counter RC IED Electronic Warfare systems, the Army used where actually adapted from Navy systems.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Yes, I worked on them at Mountain Home AFB. I think A G Shock is as close to indestructible as you can get.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post