SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beware of unordered packages.(UPDATE) The bomber is dead.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware of unordered packages.(UPDATE) The bomber is dead. Login/Join 
posted
Austin package explosion leaves teen dead, woman hurt after second blast in 2 weeks

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...last-in-2-weeks.html

A teenager was killed and a woman was seriously hurt after a package exploded at an Austin home early Monday in a blast similar to another deadly incident nearly two weeks ago in Texas' capital city, officials said.

Austin Police said they received a call about the explosion in a neighborhood on the northwest side of the city around 6:45 a.m., after the 17-year-old resident found a package on the front step, brought it inside, and opened it in the kitchen where it exploded.

"It is very similar to the incident that occured in Austin on March 2," Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters.

Manley said authorities don't believe the package came from a delivery through the U.S. Postal Service, and that it was placed on the home's front doorstep in a manner similar to the blast earlier this month.

"There are similarities we believe these cases are linked at this time," Manley said.

The Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted that a teenage male was killed and a woman in her 40s was taken to the hospital. Manley said she had non-life threatening injuries.

FBI agents could be seen going around the neighborhood, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said it responded to the scene.

Damage inside the home is "significiant," according to Manley, who added that investigators are going to nearby homes to see if any outdoor surveillance footage exists.

Neighbor Cynthia Burdett, who has lived in the neighborhood since 1999 and close to the home where the blast took place, told FOX 7 she was in "total shock" and the whole incident was "very scary."

"I checked my house first of all to make sure nothing was on fire, I did look outside at that point and next thing I knew police were knocking at the door saying that there was a suspicious package, one had exploded and that I needed to leave the house," she told reporters.

She said her neighbors are very good neighbors, "church-going' people who are "a very good family."

Manley said the blast on Monday was similar to another explosion on March 2 that left a man dead.

In that incident, 39-year-old Anthony Stephan House was killed after a "device" exploded on the front porch of his home in the city's northeast Harris Ridge neighborhood about 12 miles north of Monday's blast. Both explosions occurred in the early-morning hours.

TEXAS MAN KILLED BY 'DEVICE' AT HOME IDENTIFIED

House's death was initially called a homicide, but police last week said it was considered a suspicious death because officials hadn't ruled out the possibility the victim may have constructed and accidentally detonated the device himself. Manley said that case has now been reclassified as a homicide as of Monday.

There is no known motive at this time, but Manley said both blasts took place at homes of African-American residents so authorities "cannot rule out hate crimes."

Austin police said they've determined the device was inside a package, and are working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to reconstruct the item and learn who may have created it.

Manley said they've determined what the device was, but they aren't releasing details "to protect the integrity of the investigation."

Police are also asking residents in the Austin area if they do find a package on their doorstep that they were not expecting, to not open it and call 911 to have authorities examine it.

"We will not tolerate this in Austin," Manley said.

3-20-2018
Device explodes in FedEx building outside San Antonio

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...onio-police-say.html

A device that exploded early Tuesday at a FedEx ground distribution facility in Texas, injuring one person, is likely linked to a string of bombings that have rocked the state's capital this month, federal officials said.

Schertz Police Lt. Manny Casas told Fox San Antonio a medium-sized box was on the conveyor belt when the explosion occurred. Casas said a woman was treated for a “possible sound injury” and was released. He said the blast happened shortly after midnight.

Schertz police couldn’t immediately confirm what was in the package, but law enforcement officials told KSAT the medium-sized package contained metal shrapnel and nails and was headed to Austin when it exploded on a conveyor track.

The blast drew a large response from state, local and federal law enforcement agencies. Federal agents told the Associated Press the package is likely linked to attacks in Austin.

The ATF's Houston office said it responded to the scene in Schertz. Schertz is located 22 miles east of San Antonio and 73 miles south of Austin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
BREAKING: Woman injured in 2nd explosion in Austin on Monday, EMS says

https://www.statesman.com/news...i7i7aSmWoMBS5HHbfeO/

A woman in her 70s was injured in the second reported explosion at a home in Austin on Monday, Austin-Travis County EMS said.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Serial bomber or terrorist?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Except for the woman in her 70s, my first thought was someone might have been angry at having so many Amazon boxes stolen off their porch and baited a trap.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Terrible for the victims and families, and I mean no disrespect toward them, but ...

"He (Austin Police Chief Brian Manley ) also said that investigators were not ruling out the possibility of the explosions being a hate crime because the victims in those cases are African-American."

Oh.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Did I hear that there has now been a third explosion?
I've texted my niece who just moved there to not touch any unexpected packages...
This is getting crazy...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I was just reading about this a few mins ago and came here to see if there was a thread about it already.

Whack jobs are everywhere.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
How to get the full attention of the FBI, ATF, and TBI. Serial bombers are investigated heavily. I bet he is caught within a month.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are those "Porch Pirates" when you need them?

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has been 2 explosions today. My son is working downtown in the SXSW crowd and texted a rumored report of a suspicious package at the bus station. Interesting times.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Terrible for the victims and families, and I mean no disrespect toward them, but ...

"He (Austin Police Chief Brian Manley ) also said that investigators were not ruling out the possibility of the explosions being a hate crime because the victims in those cases are African-American."

Oh.

I heard that, too. WTF? If all the victims were white, they sure as shit wouldn't have said such a thing.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Ha, Amazon package thieves blows face off stealing explosives from porch. That would be a fun headline.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard Manley on the news and while he said the hate crime bit it was a lower key part of the message. I thought he handled it well.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This insanity is reaching epic proportions. The world is becoming/has become a very sad place.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three total (all in Texas).

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

Oh.

I heard that, too. WTF? If all the victims were white, they sure as shit wouldn't have said such a thing.
That doesn't fit as today's bomb was outside the home of a 75-year-old Hispanic woman. It doesn't stop the news from adding that paragraph to every news story I've seen today though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
. . . and TBI.
I think you mean the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), specifically the Criminal Investigations Division (CID), and/or Rangers.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The news I heard said they were all Hispanic (?)

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Mix of AA and hispanic

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Three total (all in Texas).

All in Austin.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post