SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beware of unordered packages.(UPDATE) The bomber is dead.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware of unordered packages.(UPDATE) The bomber is dead. Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
The latest explosion in San Antonio was a device in the mail to Austin. Mailed originally from where? What I have been remembering lately is an incident in NYC a couple years ago. A college kid on vacation there with his family jumped off a rock in Central Park and landed on an explosive device of some kind that blew off his foot. I don't think arrests were ever made, and the incident faded from attention.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
The latest explosion in San Antonio was a device in the mail to Austin. Mailed originally from where? What I have been remembering lately is an incident in NYC a couple years ago. A college kid on vacation there with his family jumped off a rock in Central Park and landed on an explosive device of some kind that blew off his foot. I don't think arrests were ever made, and the incident faded from attention.

Apparently the package originated in Austin and was going to an Austin address. It went to the Schertz processing center to be sorted where it detonated on a conveyor.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
There's going to be a lot more of this:

Hope they catch this guy sooner rather than later.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you follow various social media site, you'll know that you've never heard of any of this story. It's not making the news at all because it's only black people being killed. It must be true, it's on the Internet.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The FBI has discovered a link between packages involved in the Austin bombings and a mail delivery office at a strip mall in the neighboring city of Sunset Valley."

Apparently the second package was shipped through a mail delivery service. If the location had cameras, the perp should be ID'd fairly quickly.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Has there been any talk about banning anything yet over this?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Whomever it maybe, the methods and attacks are unusually diversified ... even an alleged trip wire device on a residential street.

Lots of confusion and contradictory statements abound.

Will the perpetrator of these attacks make a mistake. Maybe not so random?

Either with the explosive signature or on cctv.

Apologies, getting caught up in the investigations.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
He'll get caught soon. Things are very different now than they were when the Unibomber went on for many years. For one thing, cameras are everywhere. Even if you scope out a venue carefully and think you know you are clear of video, someone can drive by with a dash cam. Or walk by with a cell phone. Or hover overhead with a drone.

This will be a truly serious problem, however, if it turns out not to be some psycho, (as is most likely) but a new tactic of jihadists.

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

This will be a truly serious problem, however, if it turns out not to be some psycho, (as is most likely) but a new tactic of jihadists.

I would think that jihadists would want us to know that it is them creating the terror.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Another explosion at a Goodwill Store in South Austin.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bomber just hit again. 7pm At a Goodwill drop off in SW Austin, Brodie Lane @ Slaughter. One victim with non life threatening injuries. 6th incident zo far.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
The Associated Press
An employee wrapped in a blanket talks to a police officer after she was evacuated at a FedEx distribution center where a package exploded, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, in Schertz, Texas. Authorities believe the package bomb is linked to the recent string of Austin bombings. (AP Photo/Eric Gay) The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — The Latest on serial bombings in Texas (all times local):

7:30 p.m.

Austin authorities say emergency personnel are responding to another reported explosion, this one at a Goodwill store in the southern part of the city.

Austin-Travis County EMS tweeted Thursday evening that at least one person was injured but that details about the severity of those injuries and the explosion itself were unknown.

It would mark the sixth explosion in the Austin area since March 2. So far, two people have been killed and four others seriously wounded.

___

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
He'll get caught soon. Things are very different now than they were when the Unibomber went on for many years. For one thing, cameras are everywhere. Even if you scope out a venue carefully and think you know you are clear of video, someone can drive by with a dash cam. Or walk by with a cell phone. Or hover overhead with a drone.

I can't imagine how he could have sent that Fedex package without getting on camera.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Drudge now has a story up that the bomber might have been picked up on video at FedEx.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news...ossibly-show-suspect

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
His biggest mistake was using Fedex!

How about that for an ad campaign!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The local bomb squad is running ragged right now I'd say. For every actual bomb they deal with, there is probably 300 panic calls.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I was thinking that he may be trying to overload the system.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Folks, the local Spectrum (Times Warner as was) news channel is reporting, and authorities have confirmed, that the Goodwill store event in south Austin was not a part of the bombing.

Some guy dropped off a box with a bunch of stuff in it at the local Goodwill.

Among the stuff were apparently multiple artillery simulators.

One guy working there, not knowing what an artillery simulator was but knowing that the Goodwill Store wouldn't be interested in trying to sell one, told another guy working there that he could take one home.

Said another guy working there got to fooling with the thing, and it went off.

There was also some noise to the effect that they may have a line on someone connected through the bombings. Apparently they think that whoever dropped off the package that went off in San Antonio (Schertz, really) may be on videotape at a Fed Ex store.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
If he dropped it off at an actual FedEx location (either one of our ramp offices or a FedEx Office) then he is on video.

If he dropped it off at a dropoff box somehwere then who knows about video but someone - either the sender or the recepient - has a FedEx account. Otherwise it would not get into the system. I consider this the least likely scenario.

Many mailbox places ship both FedEx and UPS packages but I imagine about 99% of them have video surveillance going.

So yeah, the likelihood that this asshole has been caught on video is pretty high now.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Looks like they got him:

Austin bomber dead

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post