SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    da Vinci's painting of Christ fetched $450 million at auction!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

da Vinci's painting of Christ fetched $450 million at auction! Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted

Posts: 26378 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I saw that headline earlier while at the gym. My jaw dropped. Wow is right. Goodness.

Thomas Crown would've just stole it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Was this an individual or a group purchase? How rich does one need to be to drop $450M on a painting?

I’d need at least $30B to drop that kind of cash. And ya know, you can’t put that in a house that’s worth less than $450M, either. It’s like those idiots that put rims on their rides that cost more than the car. Big faux pas.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Old DaVinci had a knack for making money.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I wish I found it originally when they thought it wasn't a da vinci... can't remember exact amount but it was like 58 to 68 dollars in the 1950's... wow 450 million...

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Almost half a freaking BILLION dollars for a painting. Just staggering!

Q

Posts: 26378 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard in one of the news reports on this, that only some 20 DaVinci paintings still exist. I wonder how many he did that have disappeared over the centuries?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The actual hammer price was $400 million. The extra $50 million was the fee (apparently 12.5% buyer's fee). Eek

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1...risties-auction.html

Q

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
JESUS CHRIST!! That's a lot of money.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27950 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
I wish I found it originally when they thought it wasn't a da vinci... can't remember exact amount but it was like 58 to 68 dollars in the 1950's... wow 450 million...

I read it was also sold a few years back for under $10k, then restored. That's a hell of a lot of profit. Must of had xzibit pimp their de Vinci.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
$450M? You'd think he painted the Last Supper and the bleedin' Mona Lisa!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Wow, that would have taken most of my spare cash! Wink

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I'm a heathen, never understood why one would pay so much for art. BBB has paintings for 50 bucks...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of dogs playing poker!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:

Local news report I heard last night said $59 - when they had thought it was a fake.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

'Fess up Q, you obtained this so it could be the next SigForum Karma!! Wink Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it live on Facebook last night.

Bidding started at 75 mil. There were a couple of big jumps from 270 - 300 and 380 - 400 mil. It was crazy.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
There are still some justifiable concerns as to whether it was completed by his own hand.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang it next to the velvet elvis.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post