SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Michigan WWII veteran hopes to receive 100 cards on his 100th birthday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan WWII veteran hopes to receive 100 cards on his 100th birthday Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
What do you say guys Cool

Ahead of his 100th birthday on June 6, Michigan WWII veteran Isaac "Ike" Fabela hopes to receive 100 birthday cards, his family said.

“He’s always been that uncle that, whenever you see him, he puts a smile on your face,” Ike’s great-nephew, Nick Rodgers, told Fox News on Wednesday. “He’s very humble man; he says he has everything he needs already.”

Still, Ike’s family hopes the veteran can commemorate his centennial with birthday wishes from across the country.

Ike, born in Texas in 1918, served in World War II from 1944 to 1946. His service took him to countries like Germany and Norway. He nearly saw combat duty on D-Day on June 6, 1944, which also happened to be his 26th birthday. But he was pulled off a boat heading to the Normandy shore at the last minute, one of his eight daughters, Lolie, told Fox News on Wednesday.

“When someone calls him a hero, it touches his heart. But he doesn't feel like he deserves that title. He always says that the young men who didn’t make it back are the heroes,” Lolie said.

“It’s amazing, the things he remembers. The stories he can tell -- he’s like a walking history book,” she added.

Ike has lived in Montrose for the majority of his life, and is highly respected in the community, Lolie said. She recalled various instances of strangers approaching her father, thanking him for his countless acts of charity.

For instance, Lolie said a man once came up to her father, thanking him for buying his ticket to a local circus as a child because his family couldn't afford it.

“We had no idea that he had done all of those things,” she said.

Rodgers also commented on his great-uncle’s selflessness. His favorite memory with Ike, he said, was after he returned home from the Iraq War in 2006. The two had a long talk about their respective experiences in the military.

“Even though things were different, the thought process is the same,” said Rodgers. “It was neat to tie our two hardships together; it’s something that I’ll never forget.”

Lolie said her father is “so excited” for his birthday, adding that the majority of Montrose will take part in various planned celebrations.

“He is a very humble man and says that he's never done anything to deserve all this," she said. “But he has.”

If you would like to send Ike a birthday card, you can mail it to:

Ike Fabela
C/O Nick Rodgers
PO Box 3112 Montrose, MI 48457

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018...-100th-birthday.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, he’s gonna get a TON of mail! Smile

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking his mailman will be needing a "Bigger Truck"

Posts: 2219 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Would be nice if some SIGfolks in the area would drop in and wish him a happy birthday.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I suspect he is gonna get more than 100

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
My family is writing cards now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sending a card.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Oh, he’s gonna get a TON of mail! Smile

I'm thinking Miracle on 34th St.
"Just put them here on the desk"

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post