SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alitalia smashes 17th century viola da gamba (stringed instrument like a cello)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alitalia smashes 17th century viola da gamba (stringed instrument like a cello) Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I seriously doubt Alitalia is going to pay the $50K needed to fix that viola.

quote:
foxnews.com: Musicians outraged after airline severely damages 17th century instrument
By Alexandra Deabler | Fox News

A musician flying from Brazil to Israel says her $200,000 viola da gamba was severely destroyed because of airline "greed and disrespect for the musician."

Myrna Herzog was traveling from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Tel Aviv, Israel when she was allegedly forced to place her large 17th century viola da gamba in the hold for her Alitalia flight.

Herzog, the director of Israeli classical music group Phoenix, says she reluctantly handed it over only after she was unable to purchase a seat for the instrument, which is slightly smaller than a cello, because the flight was full. A viola da gamba, also known as a viol, is a string instrument played upright, similar to a cello.

The woman claimed the airline assured her that the instrument, valued at over $200,000, would be treated as a fragile item and handled with care by the staff.

When the Brazilian-born musician landed in Tel Aviv, her viol never appeared in baggage claim. Herzog says she went to the baggage reclaim desk to find out what happened.

"They went down to find it, and got back saying that it had arrived broken, and that I had to fill a form," she told musical news website The Strad. "After I did so they brought it, and the sight was really horrific. Even they were horrified."

The hard case in which the viola da gamba had been transported was partially destroyed, and the viol itself had been smashed in half.

“The instrument had a German Gewa hard case bearing several red tags of ‘Fragile’, without bridge, soundpost, pegs, strings or tailpiece, to ensure safety,” Herzog said to Strad.

< snip >

Alitalia airline said in a statement that it “regretted” what happened but claim they offered Herzog an extra seat, which she refused even though they told her “the best solution for such a delicate item was to bring it with her in the cabin.”

“That said, Alitalia deeply regrets what happened to Mrs Herzog and will proceed, having established the facts, with the reimbursement in compliance with the international regulations in force," the statement concluded.

Herzog has refuted the claims of Alitalia, saying they never offered her a seat.

Herzog told The Strad she has taken her instrument to a restorer who said it could “take around a year to repair [the viol] properly and is trying to estimate the cost of such repair.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig2340,

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Looks like intentionally damaged by some low life who knew they could get away with it. Shame on people who hurt others for no good reason.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
$50k is a pretty rounded number. That instrument is not in a flight case. A German Gewa hard case ... there are degrees of protection.

I'll bet there are plenty of shops that would do it for a third of the quote.

In short, without better pictures, I'm thinking something stinks about the whole affair. Something just . . . does not look right . . . that said, I had a cello with a three-piece top on my table. A breezy four month job, and it was better than ever.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand how she was unable to purchase a seat. It sounds like she expected to be accommodated, free of charge, and that didn’t happen. Most folks who travel regularly with those caliber of instrument will always book two tickets when they make their reservation, not hope to have an extra seat assigned for free at the gate.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Woodman, would this instrument have a peg type foot to rest on ? It looks as if the broken away strip of wood started at the bottom. Also, do the hairs of the bow release like that when not being played or does that seem broken too ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Oh the baggage rats probably used to be United flight attendants.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Oh the baggage rats probably used to be United flight attendants.

My first thought was that it was a UAL flight.

But then recollected some of the flights I had to take in Europe about 4 decades ago. Among them (when I could not avoid it) was Alitalia.

Long sad story that still pisses me off.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
I don’t understand how she was unable to purchase a seat. It sounds like she expected to be accommodated, free of charge, and that didn’t happen. Most folks who travel regularly with those caliber of instrument will always book two tickets when they make their reservation, not hope to have an extra seat assigned for free at the gate.

Agreed. I'm not excusing the damage, but there is no way you don't plan better for an instrument like that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More pictures from a few more sources...you could ALMOST conclude that the rampers intentionally worked to damage the case.

'Hey Mario, where's the chocks for the belt loader, don't know, here use this case'

'How strong is this case...don't know, lets check.'

https://news.sky.com/story/ang...alia-flight-11201456

https://www.timesofisrael.com/...-300-year-old-viola/

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
$50k is a pretty rounded number. That instrument is not in a flight case. A German Gewa hard case ... there are degrees of protection.

In short, without better pictures, I'm thinking something stinks about the whole affair. Something just . . . does not look right . . . that said, I had a cello with a three-piece top on my table. A breezy four month job, and it was better than ever.

I understand that you do this sort of work, but this is a “17th century” piece of art. Why would, or should, she shop for a bargain in repairing it?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Delta dropped something on my golf clubs on the way back from vegas, it was obvious something either shifted in flight or someone just tossed the bag and something landed on it that was heavy.

They tried like hell to get out of paying for the clubs and it took some work to get them to pay, my guess is she's taken this to social media because the airline is balking at paying for fixing it.

Musicians of this caliber would never purposely put that type of instrument in harms way if there was another choice, it's not a 4th grade piccolo.

Looking at the other images this appears something similar happened, we can give her heck about getting another seat but she said they didn't have one to sell her, the air lines saying she was offered a seat.

He said, she said.

My Guess is the airline tried to bully her and she's getting back at them the only way she can through social media.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
More pictures from a few more sources...you could ALMOST conclude that the rampers intentionally worked to damage the case.

'Hey Mario, where's the chocks for the belt loader, don't know, here use this case'

'How strong is this case...don't know, lets check.'

https://news.sky.com/story/ang...alia-flight-11201456

https://www.timesofisrael.com/...-300-year-old-viola/

When I was an airline pilot, the most dangerous part of the flight was doing the post flight walk around. The guys in the baggage compartments don’t place your luggage on the conveyor, they launch it in the general vicinity of the big hole in the side of the plane. A lot of times it lands on the belt, often times it misses and falls 15 feet to the ramp.

I learned this on my first week on the job, when I was struck by a falling suitcase while doing the post flight. Ever since, on every leg I flew, I filed and incident report and wrote up the rampers (we called them lobster jockeys) for mistreatment of luggage. It never worked, because I could walk around any gate, and find a dozen or more zipper pulls and a suitcase wheel or two.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

I understand that you do this sort of work, but this is a “17th century” piece of art. Why would, or should, she shop for a bargain in repairing it?

I'm not qualified to answer your question. $15k buys a lot of expertise. Putting it together is the easy part. Matching the finish to make it look like it was never broken is the hard part. The insurance company is the one who ultimately decides.

Touch-up work takes months to complete. Lots of color matching, testing, waiting. Once the artist gets the right color, they move along.

Someone who restores old fine art canvases might call it a 'small job' due to the limited palettes required. A 25 year old grad student with a good eye and steady hand could do a passable job.

That looks like a two-year restoration job. Five minutes at a time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
If I was traveling with a $200,000 Stradivarius you can bet I would have it in a case appropriate for travel. Not packed in a flimsy case with rags packed around it. That does not take away from the lack of care by the baggage handlers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ya, seriously. If I had to travel with an old expensive anything like that, I'd either have it handcuffed to my wrist, or in some sort of bullet proof, crush proof case.

I think everyone involved in this is a fault...Airline, baggage handlers, and the musician.

17th century violin worth $200,000...her livelihood probably depends on it, yet she took minimal effort to safeguard it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Got a question for you, 2340- In your subject line, why didn't you simply say "violin"? Are we to know what is a "viola de gamba"? I would imagine that a fraction of a percent of members here knew what you meant.

Clear subject lines are appreciated, especially when that clarity comes in fewer words.

Posts: 107509 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Got a question for you, 2340- In your subject line, why didn't you simply say "violin"? Are we to know what is a "viola de gamba"? I would imagine that a fraction of a percent of members here knew what you meant.

Clear subject lines are appreciated, especially when that clarity comes in fewer words.

As stated in the article, a viola de gamba is more like a cello than a violin (e.g., is played upright, not under the chin).

I guess I should have called it a cello, but it is definitely not a violin.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Good god, I use a hard Pelican case for my "expensive" rifles when traveling by car and I am the only one handling it.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Agreed. I'm not excusing the damage, but there is no way you don't plan better for an instrument like that.

That's my take. I hope they have cameras where those handlers work and see where and how the damage was done.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

17th century violin worth $200,000...her livelihood probably depends on it, yet she took minimal effort to safeguard it.

Just the mathematics of it. $200,000 is a whole lot more than an airline ticket if I miss the flight. I'm not going to let hourly workers handle $200,000 of a delicate instrument. And if it's a scheduling issue, I should have planned sooner.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post