SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suspect fatally shot after grabbing gun. Officer takes shots with pen gripped in shooting hand ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suspect fatally shot after grabbing gun. Officer takes shots with pen gripped in shooting hand ... Login/Join 
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Please. I watched the same video you did. I’ve been in similar situations. I’ve done my share of vestigations. When another officer is going back and forth on SFST’s, it’s obvious that the guy is failing to follow commands. If you are doing your job, you are paying attention (ie- situational awareness). At that point, you stop what you’re done by and change gears. “Precog”, as you put it, does not exist, but awareness does. He was close enough to hear the exchange, and see the resistant behavior.

As to the pen, we train in a scenario where you have to draw, you clear your hands. Automatically and reflexively. Handcuffs, batons, notepads, and yes, even pens.

And what about the person he's actually dealing with? Is he supposed to completely disengage from her? What if she turns out to be the aggressor? Now both officers have their backs to her.

Excellent point Balze, we had a incident a couple nights ago where a state trooper contacted a male & female at a Rite Aid. The male was the one taken into custody and the female took off in a pick up truck pursuit on. She ended up being shot and apprehended but you never know what's going top happen. As Balze stated, what if the female had a gun or some other weapon? Both LEO's backs to her and it could be a very different outcome. Super EASY to sit there and type I would've done this or that.

Posts: 474 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Please. I watched the same video you did. I’ve been in similar situations. I’ve done my share of vestigations. When another officer is going back and forth on SFST’s, it’s obvious that the guy is failing to follow commands. If you are doing your job, you are paying attention (ie- situational awareness). At that point, you stop what you’re done by and change gears. “Precog”, as you put it, does not exist, but awareness does. He was close enough to hear the exchange, and see the resistant behavior.

As to the pen, we train in a scenario where you have to draw, you clear your hands. Automatically and reflexively. Handcuffs, batons, notepads, and yes, even pens.

And what about the person he's actually dealing with? Is he supposed to completely disengage from her? What if she turns out to be the aggressor? Now both officers have their backs to her.

Good question- you deal with things as they unfold and prioritize. In this scenario, someone failing to follow commands and trotting away would trump someone that is giving requested information. I wouldn’t forget they exist, but focus should shift.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
You know, I seemed to remember you were LEO, which is why your response surprised me. I'm sure you would have done it better.

No need to get snarky; no one knows for sure how they will respond until they’re in a similar scenario. I only know how I do business, and what I expect from my partners.

There's perhaps less snark there than you're reading into it since you're the one criticizing the actions of the second officer. I was giving the officer the benefit of the doubt. As you say, we watched the same video. However, often these conversations go the other way with LEO's on the board here saying that the video doesn't accurately represent what the officer wearing the camera saw or heard, which has been strenuously argued a few times by a respondent to this very thread. When the bodycam footage from the officer across the railroad tracks begins, all prior audio at conversational levels for what's going on at the truck would likely have been difficult to hear over the road noise, which is about all we hear at that point, but we don't get to have that comparison because that footage isn't provided. Then we hear "Ken!" and his head snaps over. We don't know if he wasn't paying attention at all before that, and I wouldn't try to say he wasn't, because we don't know. We also don't get to hear the "Don't touch it!" shouted by the officer across the road to compare what kind of voice levels would have been audible over the road noise because the video cuts out before then. Before the officer who killed the guy shouts "Ken!" the body language of both parties was completely casual and relaxed.

If you're going to gig the second officer on situational awareness off the very little bit of video we're seeing of the whole event, I'm hoping you don't get involved in a similarly shitty situation. It's usually the LEO's saying "we don't know what the dispatchers told the responding units, we don't know what we saw when they rolled up, we don't know anything other than a few seconds of footage, and that's not the whole picture and not how you properly judge the response of force." I feel kind of silly right now defending the guy, but the fact is, the perp was looking at him and not the guy that dropped him, and at the end of the day, both officers went home. I immediately notice grey sideburns and a wrinkled face. I'm also willing to wager his hearing is maybe not Walker Game Ear level at his age, especially given all the ambient noise.

quote:
Good question- you deal with things as they unfold and prioritize. In this scenario, someone failing to follow commands and trotting away would trump someone that is giving requested information. I wouldn’t forget they exist, but focus should shift.

And in this case, it did. However, my argument is that perhaps no matter how vigilant the second officer may have been, he simply may not have ever been able to hear that the suspect was failing to follow commands. Fair enough?

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
You know, I seemed to remember you were LEO, which is why your response surprised me. I'm sure you would have done it better.

No need to get snarky; no one knows for sure how they will respond until they’re in a similar scenario. I only know how I do business, and what I expect from my partners.

There's perhaps less snark there than you're reading into it since you're the one criticizing the actions of the second officer. I was giving the officer the benefit of the doubt. As you say, we watched the same video. However, often these conversations go the other way with LEO's on the board here saying that the video doesn't accurately represent what the officer wearing the camera saw or heard, which has been strenuously argued a few times by a respondent to this very thread. When the bodycam footage from the officer across the railroad tracks begins, all prior audio at conversational levels for what's going on at the truck would likely have been difficult to hear over the road noise, which is about all we hear at that point, but we don't get to have that comparison because that footage isn't provided. Then we hear "Ken!" and his head snaps over. We don't know if he wasn't paying attention at all before that, and I wouldn't try to say he wasn't, because we don't know. We also don't get to hear the "Don't touch it!" shouted by the officer across the road to compare what kind of voice levels would have been audible over the road noise because the video cuts out before then. Before the officer who killed the guy shouts "Ken!" the body language of both parties was completely casual and relaxed.

If you're going to gig the second officer on situational awareness off the very little bit of video we're seeing of the whole event, I'm hoping you don't get involved in a similarly shitty situation. It's usually the LEO's saying "we don't know what the dispatchers told the responding units, we don't know what we saw when they rolled up, we don't know anything other than a few seconds of footage, and that's not the whole picture and not how you properly judge the response of force." I feel kind of silly right now defending the guy, but the fact is, the perp was looking at him and not the guy that dropped him, and at the end of the day, both officers went home. I immediately notice grey sideburns and a wrinkled face. I'm also willing to wager his hearing is maybe not Walker Game Ear level, especially given all the ambient noise.

quote:

And in this case, it did. However, my argument is that perhaps no matter how vigilant the second officer may have been, he simply may not have ever been able to hear that the suspect was failing to follow commands. Fair enough?

Thanks for your concern about my abilities. I have been in similar situations where a lesser level of force was applied by both of us. My focus shifted in those scenarios from different factors. When you’re interviewing someone in a dual contact, you do so so that you have eyes on. You watch and you listen. You watch body language. You ask your partner if he’s good if you see something amiss. And yes, I’ve seen things, where ambient noise was an issue. I’ve been doing it for almost 26 years, and the methodology hasn’t failed me yet.

Back to the pen. My buddies and I would call this a “brain fart” and debrief it later. We don’t refer to it as Monday morning QB’ing. Let me ask- do you ever train to clear your hands as you draw? Keys, drink cups, an item approximating a cell phone? If not, it’s a good idea. If you have time to draw, you have time to drop things as you do. If I was brain farting and fumbling with things in my hands while drawing, I’d want to hear about it, rather than pussyfooting around my feelings because I’m 53 instead of 23.

And no hard feelings here. I respect your opinion, and recognize that I’m not a Hollywood supercop.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you're going to gig the second officer on situational awareness off the very little bit of video we're seeing of the whole event, I'm hoping you don't get involved in a similarly shitty situation. It's usually the LEO's saying "we don't know what the dispatchers told the responding units, we don't know what we saw when they rolled up, we don't know anything other than a few seconds of footage, and that's not the whole picture and not how you properly judge the response of force." I feel kind of silly right now defending the guy, but the fact is, the perp was looking at him and not the guy that dropped him, and at the end of the day, both officers went home. I immediately notice grey sideburns and a wrinkled face. I'm also willing to wager his hearing is maybe not Walker Game Ear level, especially given all the ambient noise.

quote:

Thanks for your concern about my abilities. I have been in similar situations where a lesser level of force was applied by both of us. My focus shifted in those scenarios from different factors. When you’re interviewing someone in a dual contact, you do so so that you have eyes on. You watch and you listen. You watch body language. You ask your partner if he’s good if you see something amiss. And yes, I’ve seen things, where ambient noise was an issue. I’ve been doing it for almost 26 years, and the methodology hasn’t failed me yet.

Back to the pen. My buddies and I would call this a “brain fart” and debrief it later. We don’t refer to it as Monday morning QB’ing. Let me ask- do you ever train to clear your hands as you draw? Keys, drink cups, an item approximating a cell phone? If not, it’s a good idea. If you have time to draw, you have time to drop things as you do. If I was brain farting and fumbling with things in my hands while drawing, I’d want to hear about it, rather than pussyfooting around my feelings because I’m 53 instead of 23.

And no hard feelings here. I respect your opinion, and recognize that I’m not a Hollywood supercop.

Importance of a debriefing after any incident, even "routine" traffic and pedestrian stops. Good officers and any type of gun carrier are always training and trying to improve. Perfection is a road, not a destination.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Video aside, no one here was there. Just the bad guy and the two officers. Body cam video doesn't always tell the whole story. Bad guy down and two officers go home to their families.

I won't second guess first hand experience. If you haven't been in that type of situation, you have no room to criticize.

Good or bad shoot determination is for the Shooting Review/IA investigation.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was a nice mont blanc

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Did I lose track of time again? Is it Monday morning already?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Wow. I was on the 15th floor of the Tropicana Hotel in Vegas when this happened. Getting ready to head to Utah. I saw the news and they said to stay away from the area that there was a “large law enforcement presence.” They showed video from quite a distance and I saw all the cars. I told my wife, “yeah somethings going on there!” Later said that there was an officer involved shooting.

And I bet that the officer interviewing the guy about doing tests would’ve never guessed, “oh that guys running to the bush over there to pick up a gun that he put there earlier!” 7:15am investigating an accident and a possible DUI.

Glad both officers went home at the end of the day.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the video isn’t the same as being there, but my first thought would have been he is grabbing a rock or something. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to find a gun in the bushes, so I would have hesitated. Had the BG wanted to shoot and kill, he had the opportunity while the one guy ran away. Definitely weird, DUI to grabbing a gun and getting shot. Drugged up on something. I am happy with the end result.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
I know the video isn’t the same as being there, but my first thought would have been he is grabbing a rock or something. I certainly wasn’t expecting him to find a gun in the bushes, so I would have hesitated. Had the BG wanted to shoot and kill, he had the opportunity while the one guy ran away. Definitely weird, DUI to grabbing a gun and getting shot. Drugged up on something. I am happy with the end result.

Absolutely

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post