SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suspect fatally shot after grabbing gun. Officer takes shots with pen gripped in shooting hand ...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suspect fatally shot after grabbing gun. Officer takes shots with pen gripped in shooting hand ... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This is why we drill new cops about keeping their weapon hand free.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per the press conference released by LVMPD, the suspect fired one round and his gun malfunctioned. Evidence was developed (they did not say what) that the suspect, who had no criminal history, was suicidal and this was a suicide by cop attempt.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

So if you shoot right handed, you're now supposed to learn how to write left handed?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

So if you shoot right handed, you're now supposed to learn how to write left handed?

There is a time to write, and a time to pick things up, accept things from others, use cell phones, etc. I'm not sure why he had anything in his hand in the first place unless he is deaf and could not hear the exchange taking place. Personally, I would have been ambulating in their direction as soon as the first indicator on non-cooperation took place.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
quote:

There is a time to write, and a time to pick things up, accept things from others, use cell phones, etc. I'm not sure why he had anything in his hand in the first place unless he is deaf and could not hear the exchange taking place. Personally, I would have been ambulating in their direction as soon as the first indicator on non-cooperation took place.

It looked like he was talking to and dealing with someone else who was present at the scene.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It looked like he was talking to and dealing with someone else who was present at the scene.

I get that, but some things bear putting off in the event of something like this. Situational awareness is everything, and this would scream "get the hell over and back up my partner".

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I saw this a few days ago. My impression with the officer who was nearest and took cover behind the vehicle had the guy dead-to-rights on the first viewing, and as the guy approached, I had the same feeling I’ve had when taking game: he was waiting for his perfect shot instead of pouring lead. For all that, it was even more gut-wrenching because it didn’t feel like hesitation or panic, he knew he was about to kill that guy and he had to do it right. First shot probably did it, guy reached right for his heart. Second shot because.

I noticed the guy gripping his pen and at first thought “I would’ve dropped it,” then I realized “yeah, maybe I wouldn’t have in the heat of things” and was impressed that he still engaged even though there was a hiccup in the process. First officer seemed to be given a clear shot because of this since the perp was looking at the officer across the roadway when he took the fatal rounds.

quote:
I get that, but some things bear putting off in the event of something like this. Situational awareness is everything, and this would scream "get the hell over and back up my partner".

He was taking notes on the accident. Traffic cops have been doing this exact same thing since traffic was a thing. The shooting started after he started taking notes. PreCog isn't A Thing Yet. He responded about as well as can be expected, honestly. He drew and put fire on the guy who was shooting at his partner. What's he supposed to do?

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
For Metro, that was an extraordinarily measured response. I think they did very well, all things considered.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
thug was wearing bad clothes for a shootout. That hoodie had a big circle center mass that made a perfect target.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^"NIce sweatshirt Dirtbag. I'll be sure to keep them all in the ring."

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing I noticed was that the dead guy took a long time to put his gun into play after he retrieved it.

I kept watching the video expecting him to put rounds into the cops back as he was running for cover.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By nature man is not a predatory animal that reacts immediately to a threat. There is a training message here for law enforcement.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Another thing I notices was that the dead guy took a long time to put his gun into play after he retrieved it.

I kept watching the video expecting him to put rounds into the cops back as he was running for cover.

I think that’s why they’re ruling it as “suicide by cop.” Everything was lackadaisical, and pretty much nothing about his actions said anything other than he was trying to get dead. That’s not in any way to say they shouldn’t have dropped him because he was presenting an immediate life threat. But if he was trying to effectively engage, it probably would have looked very different.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Failing to make a good transition from something like writing a ticket to shooting is not uncommon. There seems to be some sort of psychological thing at work that keeps us from dropping what we’re holding. I run drills that require dropping an object like a clipboard before engaging a target for that reason.

I've seen this in training also. It didn't surprise me at all that he never dropped the clipboard in his support hand.

I would think he would have noticed the pen in his right hand as he drew his gun from the holster...after all he did work his trigger with his middle finger. But it reminds me of a picture that used to hand on our station wall of two officers covering suspects on the ground during a vehicle stop. One officer had his gun out and finger on the trigger...but was still holding his cigarette between his fingers of his support hand.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Another thing I notices was that the dead guy took a long time to put his gun into play after he retrieved it.

I think that’s why they’re ruling it as “suicide by cop.” Everything was lackadaisical, and pretty much nothing about his actions said anything other than he was trying to get dead. That’s not in any way to say they shouldn’t have dropped him because he was presenting an immediate life threat. But if he was trying to effectively engage, it probably would have looked very different.

Makes sense.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken should have dropped everything before drawing, obviously.

The only drill/practice that I've seen on this issue is shooting IDPA competition, where it is common to have your hands occupied before the buzzer goes off

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw this a few days ago. My impression with the officer who was nearest and took cover behind the vehicle had the guy dead-to-rights on the first viewing, and as the guy approached, I had the same feeling I’ve had when taking game: he was waiting for his perfect shot instead of pouring lead. For all that, it was even more gut-wrenching because it didn’t feel like hesitation or panic, he knew he was about to kill that guy and he had to do it right. First shot probably did it, guy reached right for his heart. Second shot because.

I noticed the guy gripping his pen and at first thought “I would’ve dropped it,” then I realized “yeah, maybe I wouldn’t have in the heat of things” and was impressed that he still engaged even though there was a hiccup in the process. First officer seemed to be given a clear shot because of this since the perp was looking at the officer across the roadway when he took the fatal rounds.

quote:

He was taking notes on the accident. Traffic cops have been doing this exact same thing since traffic was a thing. The shooting started after he started taking notes. PreCog isn't A Thing Yet. He responded about as well as can be expected, honestly. He drew and put fire on the guy who was shooting at his partner. What's he supposed to do?

Please. I watched the same video you did. I’ve been in similar situations. I’ve done my share of investigations. When another officer is going back and forth on SFST’s, it’s obvious that the guy is failing to follow commands. If you are doing your job, you are paying attention (ie- situational awareness). At that point, you stop what you’re done by and change gears. “Precog”, as you put it, does not exist, but awareness does. He was close enough to hear the exchange, and see the resistant behavior.

As to the pen, we train in scenarios where you have to draw, you clear your hands. Automatically and reflexively. Handcuffs, batons, notepads, and yes, even pens.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, I seemed to remember you were LEO, which is why your response surprised me. I'm sure you would have done it better.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, I seemed to remember you were LEO, which is why your response surprised me. I'm sure you would have done it better.

No need to get snarky; no one knows for sure how they will respond until they’re in a similar scenario. I only know how I do business, and what I expect from my partners. And what they can expect from me.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please. I watched the same video you did. I’ve been in similar situations. I’ve done my share of vestigations. When another officer is going back and forth on SFST’s, it’s obvious that the guy is failing to follow commands. If you are doing your job, you are paying attention (ie- situational awareness). At that point, you stop what you’re done by and change gears. “Precog”, as you put it, does not exist, but awareness does. He was close enough to hear the exchange, and see the resistant behavior.

As to the pen, we train in a scenario where you have to draw, you clear your hands. Automatically and reflexively. Handcuffs, batons, notepads, and yes, even pens.

And what about the person he's actually dealing with? Is he supposed to completely disengage from her? What if she turns out to be the aggressor? Now both officers have their backs to her.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)