SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    With his son lost at the bottom of the river, a father turns to one man who might find him
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

With his son lost at the bottom of the river, a father turns to one man who might find him Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I love reading stories about people like this. What a service he provides to families who have lost loved ones in water accidents....

http://www.startribune.com/wit...-find-him/429133433/

Standing on the shore of the Mississippi River, Dave Dady watched as divers came to the surface. Another day’s search was over and his son’s body was still lost in the dark waters.

Six anxious days had passed since Jesse, a 21-year-old St. Cloud State University student, most certainly fell 60 feet from a train trestle into the cold river moments after sending a Snapchat video to friends to capture the beauty of a March night under a crescent moon.

As the police tape came down and the divers’ markers came up, Dady’s heart sank. He feared they would call off the search and wait for the water to warm in hopes that his son’s body would float to the surface.

“I couldn’t breathe,” said Dady who drove 50 miles from his home in Oak Grove to the river’s edge every day of the search. “No one wants to find their child dead. But what’s worse than that is not knowing where they’re at. It wrecked me.”

He ached for a last goodbye. Desperate, he turned to a man in Minnesota no parent ever wants to have to meet. Tom Crossmon is a Minnesota man who travels the world recovering bodies underwater.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Looks like his body was recovered. I hope the family has some closure in this now.

"The Stearns/Benton County sheriffs' dive team recovered 21-year-old Jesse Dady's body from 15 to 17 feet of water several hundred feet south of the Veteran's Bridge, toward the west side of the river, the Stearns County Sheriff's Office said in a news release."

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
most certainly fell 60 feet from a train trestle into the cold river moments after sending a Snapchat video to friends to capture the beauty of a March night under a crescent moon.

Translation: I'm drunk so I'm going up on the train trestle and take a pic of myself because social media will allow me to broadcast it instantly. Youth can be tough, you do stupid things I know I did but I never did stupid things for the sake of social media because we didn't have it. You did stupid things soley because you were young and dumb. Sometimes you survive sometimes you don't.

what a shameful waste. Don't think I could survive the mental anguish of the parents.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
most certainly fell 60 feet from a train trestle into the cold river moments after sending a Snapchat video to friends to capture the beauty of a March night under a crescent moon.

Translation: I'm drunk so I'm going up on the train trestle and take a pic of myself because social media will allow me to broadcast it instantly. Youth can be tough, you do stupid things I know I did but I never did stupid things for the sake of social media because we didn't have it. You did stupid things soley because you were young and dumb. Sometimes you survive sometimes you don't.

what a shameful waste. Don't think I could survive the mental anguish of the parents.

maybe,

or he could have just tripped or lost balance,

we may never know,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
maybe,

or he could have just tripped or lost balance,

we may never know,

That's true, but why go on the trestle in the first place? There's a parallel auto/pedestrian bridge within sight of the trestle.

In any event, it's a great article about a man providing a much needed service to families in terrible pain.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
He's a good man. I think I would think that's the saddest job in the world

I have a former friend who is an undertaker. Former, unfortunately, because it just ate him up inside. The only people that could stand to be around him were his family. He has a ton of kids. I suspect that one reason is he is so surrounded by death and sadness his kids are the only thing that bring him joy

I've been around enough death. I don't want that job

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Cadaver dogs can do water finds and frequently do so. Once the body starts decomposing, the cadaver scent bubbles to the surface. Back when my wife was still working, her partner located a child under 55 feet of water, in the Baltimore Inner Harbor (following a water taxi accident). This Baltimore Sun article was written only a day after the accident. K9 Stryker located the 6 year old boy a week later, directing divers where to search the bottom.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

That's pretty amazing, especially given the extreme depth. You would think that any scent traveling through almost 60 feet of water prior to hitting the surface would be diffused to a degree that it would be undetectable by a cadaver dog.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.qconline.com/news/c...8f-13526bb8d8f4.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article mentions a search he made here in the Yoop on Lake Superior earlier this year.
Sunken boat and bodies found in 280 feet of water.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, probably 97/98 a man possibly this one. Contacted the family of a friend who had jumped off the Ross Island bridge in portland. The city drug the water for a week. This guy who volunteered his time IIRC found my freind Adam Paar in less than a day.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
^^^^

That's pretty amazing, especially given the extreme depth. You would think that any scent traveling through almost 60 feet of water prior to hitting the surface would be diffused to a degree that it would be undetectable by a cadaver dog.

They have been deployed to seach Civil War battlefields. All they do is poke rebar into the ground to aerate what is below. It is truly amazing the dogs' scent ability.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Probably not supposed to show this. It is a short film for the LETN (law enforcement television netowrk), regarding cadaver dogs. My wife and K9 Stryker (which happens to be my surname), doing a demo on cadaver dog searches.

LETN video.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The article mentions a search he made here in the Yoop on Lake Superior earlier this year.
Sunken boat and bodies found in 280 feet of water.

I just noticed the picture in the op is him on Lake Superior. That is the aerial lift bridge in the background located in Duluth Mn.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
One thing I could never do is be a rescue/recovery diver. Given how murky most of the water is, I would imagine you're basically just swimming around until you bump into a dead body. Maybe someone here can clarify.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

Making a bunch of assumptions and for no reason at all. Doesn't even pertain to the point of the thread.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Cadaver dogs can do water finds and frequently do so. Once the body starts decomposing, the cadaver scent bubbles to the surface. Back when my wife was still working, her partner located a child under 55 feet of water, in the Baltimore Inner Harbor (following a water taxi accident). This Baltimore Sun article was written only a day after the accident. K9 Stryker located the 6 year old boy a week later, directing divers where to search the bottom.

I was serving on a jury at the time with the wife of one of the divers. It was a pretty tense week - she didn't like that he was diving and our cellphones were locked up with the bailiff because she knew he'd dive until he found them, regardless of his safety, to give closure to the families. And we were on a crap civil trial that never should have made it to court, which made it worse.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post