SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Closet Find - Winchester 62
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Closet Find - Winchester 62 Login/Join 
posted
As some of you now, my FIL passed away early Sunday AM after an 8 month battle with cancer. He was a great man and will be very missed.

Yesterday my wife and I were going through some of his things and we found a gun case that no one knew was there. In said case was a Winchester model 62 .22 in decent shape considering the age. After asking some questions it turns out that we believe he had had the rifle since he was about 10 years old.

It is in desperate need of a cleaning and oil but appears to function. My MIL told us to take it and after thinking about it and discussing with my wife we decided that after I clean it up we will give it to her son/my stepson as out of all the grand kids he is the only one that is into the outdoors, shooting and fishing.

I will post pics as soon as I have a moment and was quite shocked when i looked up its value on Gunbroker.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Great idea.
Love to see the pictures when you clean it up.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Awesome idea. I "inherited" a Winchester model 63 rifle a number of years ago. It is one of my most prized possessions. Of all the things I own, that is the only one I can't see myself ever letting go of for any reason. Hopefully your stepson will get as much enjoyment out of the one you're giving him.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
You are a good man! Keep that in your family! Good on you!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Nice find and like ROLAN say's, by all means keep it in the family.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great way to pass on a family gun.

I hope your step-son appreciates it, for what it is.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That’s a great rifle, I have a Winchester 1906 expert model that I inherited from my Great Aunt. The take down is a cool feature.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is truly valuable, you might get your step-son a newer rifle and let him work up to the one you just got.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post