SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SR-71 Tales--Speed Check
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SR-71 Tales--Speed Check Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
That was well worth the 70 mins to watch it. Wow.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Aurora lives Wink
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Really sad they retired those planes.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Aurora lives Wink
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Really sad they retired those planes.

Politics.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
TMats, thank you for posting that up. I was rolling! Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
That was great - thanks for posting!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
That was well worth the 70 mins to watch it. Wow.

And if the jet left LA when you started the video, it would reach New York as it finished.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Loved both the short clip and the full version. Great American story!

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
One of the most awesome things I've seen was a Blackbird leaving Fairchild AF base in Spokane after an airshow in the 90's. It was rolling down the runway when he hit afterburner just before rotating and it stopped being an airplane and became a rocket. It didn't go straight vertical, but close to it and the sight and sound of those few moments are imbedded in my memory forever. Very impressive machine indeed.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Shul obviously had respect for President Reagan, "He knew how to use this airplane." Loved his story about flying figure 8s over the PRNK when the Commies had their high-level conference. Sonic booms every 6 1/2 minutes "rattling their coffee cups off the table." As Maj. Shul put it, "Just to let them know, 'we know you're there, and you know we're here, and there's not a darn thing you can do about it'."

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
It was a cool plane. Remember seeing one at the Dayton air show long ago. They had it roped off with guys with M-16's guarding it.

Interesting fact was that although it was shot at with sam missiles a few times, it was never shot down. However, I believe that half the fleet had crashed on their own do to how fragile it was.
Having an unstart in one of the engines at speed would cause the plane to rip in half.

According to several articles that I've read, an unstart of one engine would bang the pilot's helmet against the canopy pretty smartly, but didn't generally cause the plane to break up.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bookmarked to find for future watching -

Thanks

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Both videos were terific.
Bookmarked for future viewing enjoyment.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I've always loved that story. We have a Blackbird here in Seattle at the Boeing Museum of Flight (amazing museum) and I go to look at it once a year.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I am envious of anyone who has personally witnessed the SR-71 either in an official capacity or as an air show spectator.

I just recently learned how these birds had to refuel shortly after takeoff because of the amount of fuel that leaked out of the tanks. Incredible engineering for its time.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was stationed on Okinawa 1971 -1972. I watched them fly out of Kadena all the time. I was stationed across the bay at Tori Station.

A take off sounded like a Saturn 5 launch. It had the roar and crackly sound of a rocket launch.

I watched it take off several times from next to the runway. I could see the crew dressed in what looked exactly like what our astronauts wore.

A special KC135 took off about an hour before the black jet did. It would refuel the 71 because it could not take off fully loaded.

Then the 71 would then make its takeoff roll with long cones of fire shooting out the back, rotate, point its nose at the heavens and be gone in a blink of the eye, leaving only the crackling roar of its passing.

I was told it could fly from Okinawa to the West Coast in 2 hours.

We have to have something already in service or in the works to replace it.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
I was stationed on Okinawa 1971 -1972. I watched them fly out of Kadena all the time. I was stationed across the bay at Tori Station.

A take off sounded like a Saturn 5 launch. It had the roar and crackly sound of a rocket launch.

I watched it take off several times from next to the runway. I could see the crew dressed in what looked exactly like what our astronauts wore.

A special KC135 took off about an hour before the black jet did. It would refuel the 71 because it could not take off fully loaded.

Then the 71 would then make its takeoff roll with long cones of fire shooting out the back, rotate, point its nose at the heavens and be gone in a blink of the eye, leaving only the crackling roar of its passing.

I was told it could fly from Okinawa to the West Coast in 2 hours.

We have to have something already in service or in the works to replace it.

Damn that must have been awesome to watch. Today I was near Boeing Field and 6 Blue Angels came in VERY low in tight formation, right overhead. I love that sound.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've read the story but it's much better hearing it from the pilot's own voice.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I've read the story but it's much better hearing it from the pilot's own voice.

I have seen this story too ,, But hearing it in his voice was much better.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched one take off from an air base in the South West US back in the mid-to late-1960's. The base was also populated with F-100's and F-4C's, and we had been watching them all morning. You could follow them visually for about two minutes or more after takeoff in the clear desert air.

When the SR-71 left, the ground shook and the building we were in rattled. We ran outside just in time to see the plane rotate, nearly at the end of the runway. It lifted off, built up speed for a few seconds, then climbed nearly straight-up. Despite being over twice the size of the other planes we had been watching, it was out of sight in thirty seconds! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
"...a 12-year-old grabbed the mike..." ...and I lost it! I'll have to explain my outburst of laughter to my girlfriend, but she won't understand. Big Grin

That reference is much more entertaining if you hear his entire lecture

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post