SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SR-71 Tales--Speed Check
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SR-71 Tales--Speed Check Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This story is from Maj. Brian Shul (USAF ret.), SR-71 pilot. It's funny

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Ha! Big Grin

Quite a story teller. Cool that they were probably the fastest humans on the planet anywhere at that time.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Really sad they retired those planes.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't the SR71 set speed records on the day it retired?

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you have never seen his entire presentation take a look. It's about an hour long but worth your time.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigZsFypdyI

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I've watched that whole presentation a half dozen times and it never gets old. Definitely worth your time.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
It was a cool plane. Remember seeing one at the Dayton air show long ago. They had it roped off with guys with M-16's guarding it.

Interesting fact was that although it was shot at with sam missiles a few times, it was never shot down. However, I believe that half the fleet had crashed on their own do to how fragile it was.
Having an unstart in one of the engines at speed would cause the plane to rip in half.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son-in-laws grandpa flew them. He sometimes volunteers at the Air Museum in Dayton, where he lives.
I called him and asked him to take a bunch of us on a tour of the museum. I had been to there before, but with him as a guide, it all was 100 times better.
He said when they would get new gloves to fly those in, the gloves would have fuzz on them and they would just touch the fuzz to the cover on the cock pit and they fuzz would melt off.
When asked what the top speed of those were,
he said it was still top secret and he could not divulge it. But, I gathered that 2000 was not top speed.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome. Thanks for posting.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That was awesome Cool thanks for posting.

I love them. Gramps was an aerospace engineer, I got so many posters of them and all the planes as a kid. That one was always one of my favorites though. Such a pretty bird, nothing like her.

Here's a pic of the one at Udvar-Hazy my GF took, one of my favorite pictures she's taken.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Cool video. Haven't seen that version before - thanks for posting.

As mentioned above, spending an hour or so watching Brian Shul's presentation is well worth your time. He makes you feel as if you're in the cockpit alongside him.

Michael

Posts: 1101 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TMats:
This story is from Maj. Brian Shul (USAF ret.), SR-71 pilot. It's funny

That was the best story I have heard in a long time.
Thanks.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Had to post again... I just watched the whole hour long presentation. Lying here in pain after my third major back surgery, I guess it kinda puts things into perspective. It's hard not to feel better after watching and taking it in.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Really glad to read that it made you feel better, d-f. Hope you're up and around soon--and pain free.

I wasn't able to determine who did such a wonderful of putting together the video to accompany Major Shul's presentation. They sure did a wonderful job though.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I have heard that story many times, and read it in his book, but that telling of it is so much better!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...a 12-year-old grabbed the mike..." ...and I lost it! I'll have to explain my outburst of laughter to my girlfriend, but she won't understand. Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Just spent the last hour watching the Lawrence Livermore Lab video. Fantastic! Thank you for posting it.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. I found it very much worth watching his whole presentation. Incredible story. I was always a fan of the aircraft, I am grateful for this man's service and his efforts to preserve some of the history of it.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks to both of you for posting.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That story is a legend in pilot circles, but it was great hearing it from the pilot himself.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post