SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BBQ Grill Cleaning Tips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBQ Grill Cleaning Tips Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I have one of those outdoor stainless steel built-in grills at my house, and the grilling grates are getting pretty crusty. I do a basic brush and wipe each time I use it, but what is the secret to getting the grilling surfaces back to a reasonable level of clean?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
High heat and burn it off?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Three suggestions, in order of aggressiveness:

1) Get grill hot, have bucket of water next to it, dunk grill brush in water and clean using wet. After each section, move to another. If it doesn't come clean wait for that area to get hot again while doing other sections, then work back to it.

2) Easyoff or similar cleaner and green scotchbrite pad.

3) Wire wheel and cordless drill.

Warning: Only use option 2 & 3 on SS, not coated iron grates.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

That's what I do on my charcoal grills and smokers. Run temp up to 600+. Then scrub with grill brush.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1, just like the self-cleaning oven. Wipe off the ash with damp paper towel & good enough to go.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Do what?.

I just grill...then the next time I build a fire, that burns off the grease from the prior food.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
This water brush works surprisingly well. Heat your grill as hot as you can get it. Maybe 20 minutes on high then brush with this gadget which will dispense water and magically steam off all of the crud. Trust me I was not a believer until I tried it. It works.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=U..._sl_7xsadldrwi_b_p37

Now the insides of the grill are a different deal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is this "cleaning" you speak of?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've had Weber Kettles forever and I just brush the grill just before I put whatever meat I'm cooking. An acquaintance I once knew that was a champion BBQ cook told me to never clean the inside of the lid. He said if it starts to flake then just clean with a damp cloth and that's it. I've been doing it this way for ages.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have removable cast iron grates and occasionally I’ll pressure wash them.

Posts: 4100 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grill Daddy Pro brush. It works. The steam cleans and the brush works good too.

I will let it burn on high and the next time I use it heat it up and us the Grill Daddy

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My family always grills at medium temperature. The grease never gets a chance to burn off. Run your grill wide open. Let it burn off. Then scrape.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My new/used house had a built in gas grill, wanted to give it a go as I've ALWAYS been a wood/charcoal burner. Used it a few times, grates went from pristine to gunkified.

I laid them out on some cardboard in yard, sprayed well on all sides with oven cleaner and let them sit for a full day. Then scrubbed them off with a couple SOS pads and hose. Not perfect, but close to shiny and new again.

Put them back on the grill, turned it on to dry, covered the grill back up the next day, put a bungee around cover to keep it in place and never plan to use again. It'll be clean when we get ready to sell..... Razz

I'm old school I guess.

As a footnote, a neighbor shared with me his revelation that the "stainless" grates on our Kitchenaid built-in grills really are just some stainless coated cast structure. He had been cleaning his with the high-heat approach above and the stainless had broken down, underlying grate was rusting. Being a little over the top and looking for a welding project he got some stainless bar stock and welded a new set of grates. THOSE will last a while!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:

+1, just like the self-cleaning oven. Wipe off the ash with damp paper towel & good enough to go.

I use a lime or a lemon after high heat to burn it off.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
If all else fails, use Carbona. You have to let it sit for a day, but it's the best chemical cleaner I've ever used.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have one of those steamer cleaners, got it for a birthday present and haven't used it yet, I'll give it a go on the smoker and weber to see how it does....

Right now I pull the grates, spray them down with Weber Grill cleaner spray, from Lowes Depot let it soak a bit and then scrub with a green fiber/sponge pad and rinse with the hose. Wipe it down with a shop cloth and it's good to go.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the grate in a black trash bag and spray it with ammonia (windex will work) and leave it in the sun for a day. Then scrub and wash.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't think that I've ever cleaned a grill beyond the occasional rub with a wire brush. And by "occasional" I mean about every ten years or so.

Just cook it clean.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I have a cast iron grill grate that gets seasoned with use. I will brush it if necessary but I don't clean it.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Bought new grates a month or so ago. Never worried about cleaning them in the past. Last grate lasted a year, maybe less.

This time around, I'm using a balled-up piece of foil that I pour a little oil cooking on, then scrub the grates. I'm cleaning the grates while the chimney is getting going. I don't wipe them down after I'm finished cooking.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1365 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post