SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Personal time or Money which is more important
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Personal time or Money which is more important Login/Join 
posted
I used to spend considerable time trying to save money, and now find that time is more important to me. Having been raised by Depression era parents, money was always more important than time. I am trying to change that and am experiencing some success. What about the rest of Sig Forum members? Is it your personal time or money?

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Money.
Personal time is expensive.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Money is printed every day, time is one of the most limited assets on this world. There's always more money.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'm single, with no kids, and in decent shape financially. I will spend money to save time/avoid doing things I don't enjoy. For example, I pay to have my lawn work done, shop at a more expensive, but closer/nicer grocery store, eat out or pick up food often.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
As long as my needs and some of my wants are covered, time. No question.

I only see my wife two or maybe three days a week. Some weeks less. Same thing for my kids, except much less.

My time is precious.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Money when I was younger. Now on the other side of 50, time, as time is running out. Still need money, but I can do with much less - as my current situation is showing me.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe anyone’s last words have been, “...wish I’d made more money.” For me it’s personal time now that I’m at the point in my life where Lifetime Warranty is no longer so attractive.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm conflicted on this, because time vs. money does reach a point of diminishing returns, but all the free time in the world isn't worth a shit without money.

Posts: 27953 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My mother said something to me when I was very young that always stayed with me. She said "the most valuable thing you can give to another person is your time."

As I get older, I understand even better just how true that really is.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Money to spend in my personal time

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Time...hands down.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Random thoughts...

The only purpose of time is so everything doesn't happen all at once.

The only reason for money is to have something to spend while you wait for things to happen.

It depends on which you need more of. When I had lots of money, I had very little time, because I was doing stuff.

Now that I can’t do stuff, I have no need for money.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much time and how much money.

Getting a plumber, electrician or mechanic can get expensive, real quick. I can do most of those jobs myself.

I also mow my own grass, cook my own meals, wash my car, etc... Sure I could pay someone to do that stuff, but I don't see the benefit.

I guess I am in the money camp.

I am fortunate in the fact that I can work from home. My kids are 6 & 7 and I am home when they leave and get home from school. I am also a Scout den leader. I spend lots of time with them doing all kinds of stuff. Went on 2 hikes this past weekend, plus I just bought a boat...my wife hates boats, so it will be time for the 3 of us. We are going on a llama pack trip this weekend as well.

I don't think it's black and white.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Work to live, or live to work. I end up working 4-500 hours of OT per year. Good for 401K, and Fed & state love me, but I would prefer more family time.
Come up with a plan. Pay house off, pound your 401K, save enough money for emergencies.
Then enjoy life.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Remaining lifespan is pretty much a non-renewable resource. Go with time every time.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Eight years ago, I left my job in NY to return home. I was working five, sometimes six, 10 hour days and running my ass off, but was making money hand over fist.

The new job was only half-time (week on, week off), but was a 6-figure pay cut. Most of the folks I was working with at the time thought I was foolish to take it.

I didn't give the offer a second thought. My time is much more valuable than anything they could pay me.

Best thing I've ever done.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Too many variables.

Kids, wife, good job, bad job, inheritance, home, rental, cheap car, expensive car, guns, travel, retirement accounts, overtime availability, etc.

Most importantly, your age.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Wisely earn your money. Spend your time wisely.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I trade my time for my employers money which I spend on my remaining time. I don't know how much total time I'll have. As I've gotten older I've realized that time is more important. I'm far from rich. I could definitely use m ore money. I have no doubt in my last moment it's time that I;'ll wish I had more of and used more wisely.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My wife and I found a balance between the two. When I turned 50 it became more about the money, making dbl payments on the house and paying off bills so we could build up our coffers for retirement. It worked out pretty well since we retired early and comfortably financial wise and have all the time in world.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post