SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacing MacBook battery, need brand advice...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing MacBook battery, need brand advice... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Anyone have suggestion/opinions on the various aftermarket battery brands available to replace a 2009 MacBook Air battery? Looking on Amazon a bunch get good reviews, just not sure if I should believe them and/or if there is a better place to buy from.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No idea. But OWC Is my go to place for Mac parts like Memory and SSD's etc. Good stuff at good prices usually, and good to deal with. Also lots of how to videos.

I would at least give them a look but I have no idea whatsoever if they are competitive on Batteries.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
No idea. But OWC Is my go to place for Mac parts like Memory and SSD's etc. Good stuff at good prices usually, and good to deal with. Also lots of how to videos.

I would at least give them a look but I have no idea whatsoever if they are competitive on Batteries.

Thanks, strangely enough it was their video on replacing the battery that started my search.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've bought about six batteries for A1278 and A1286 Macbook Pros, and newer models in the last six months, both on Amazon and Ebay. Out of the six (multiple brands and none of which were original Apple) I've only had one failure. (Failure meant that although the cycle count was low, it would not hold a multi-hour charge- rather probably 25 minutes or so). Sorry, I can't remember which brand it was that failed as I sent it back.

But I do have some advice for you. Determine which battery you need and search for it on Ebay. Once you get the results list, choose "free shipping" items. In that list look for the seller that starts the battery auction at .99 cents or so. That is where I've found my best buys on batteries, sometimes as cheap as $12.00 with free shipping.

If this doesn't appeal to you, (I'm cheap because I build some of these for kids and do it out of my pocket)- use Amazon and choose the highest good rating vs. best price...

I've used third party batteries in these for many years. There are some bad ones, true, but given the price difference (Apple is proud of these batteries) I'm ok with third party.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My son had a 2009 Macbook Pro and I bought a battery from Amazon that was rated well. The only problem was not only was the battery dead but there was something wrong with the charging port as well; and the Macbook would not recognize the new battery.

I talked to an Apple Genius and she suggested an Apple authorized service center but it seemed like it wasn't worth sinking money into such an old laptop. I ended up trading it in at Best Buy a few months ago and bought my son a new Macbook Air instead.

I know you didn't ask for all that info, but I just went through the same thing you are going through now and just wanted to caution you that there may be more wrong than just the battery.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
First thing you should do if you have a doubt that it isn't the battery is check the charger. (Usually OSX will tell you the battery condition and if it needs replacing).

The charging port can also go bad and isn't that difficult to change if you have the handful of tools needed and patience. But on most MBs it does require loosening the motherboard to raise it enough to disconnect the bad charging port connector and plug in the new one. Only two screws hold the charging port on most MBs. (But there are a number of screws and connectors on the motherboard to be sure).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just bought an Egoway replacement battery for a MacBook Air from Amazon, it got excellent reviews. Haven't installed it yet.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Go buy a Windows machine. Easy fix. Dump MAC

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

I've had good results with replacement batteries from OWC for older MacBooks. The brand is NewerTech/NuPower.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Go buy a Windows machine. Easy fix. Dump MAC

Maybe. How many 8 year old windows laptops are running and worth buying a new battery for? Even if the mechanicals still operate, Windows laptops are worthless after 3-4 years.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am on a 2011 MacBook Pro and it's working fine for all of my needs. Replaced the HD with an SSD and it's smokin fast now.

However, Apple laptops after 2012... I will pass.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I bought this one from Egoway on Amazon over a year ago for $48. It works just fine and the battery health appears to be normal. My MacBook Pro is an early 2011 model.

https://www.amazon.com/Egoway-...pro+13+battery&psc=1

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have used both new batteries and re-furb batteries, both purchased in person at The Apple Store. Both gave excellent performance.

Maybe a little pricey compared to third party replacements, but if there's ever a problem, Apple will likely treat you right.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
We got a Wakeach last time and it is still working. Apple no longer makes batteries for my daughter's laptop.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OWC (aka macsales.com).

I've put them in at least 5 MacBooks - for myself and family - and they've functioned as new OEM in all cases.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post