SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video camera/editing software help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video camera/editing software help Login/Join 
Picture of wolffy88
posted
So, long story short, I took on a role at my job that I'm not too familiar with, videographer. I'm the graphic designer for my VA, but I didn't have to make videos. So I've been asked to start shooting some promo videos for the changes in our hospital.
I need a recommendation for a good video camera, kind of a do it all camera that takes good pictures also.
But it needs to be government cheap, cause we are all paying for it.

Also, what software do you use to edit?

Thanks

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Software depends on the goal. Cutting clips and audio its Adobe premiere. For creating effects and typography type stuff Adobe After Effects.

Both are somewhat different but relatively the same. There are some great youtube videos on how to use them out there.

At the recommendation of the sigforum I just picked up the Canon Rebel T7i but I am going for more Vlog format. You can create awesome video with them and use them for photography as well.

I did a lot of googling on best camera for video and pictures to find that's what I wanted. All in with gear, it ended up about $1100.

The software is 50 a month if you get all of adobe. There is free stuff out there but Adobe seems to be one of the top for video editing

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.
The good news is I found a Nikon D some number, 5700 maybe that'll do our video. We are working to purchase adobe CC, so it looks like I'll be all set. Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to look at YouTube university, also.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
if you need any help just let me know. There's a bit of a curve but its fairly intuitive if you are used to adobe.

Couple folks on youtube:

Terry White - is a developer or something for adobe***edit long thorough videos

Sonduckfilm - great 20 minute how tos

flatpackfx - great after effects how toos

Peter Mckinnon - more photography related but really good ad includes Premiere

TutVid - all adobe

After Effects Tutorials w mikey - lots of good stuff

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deqlyn,

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
if you need any help just let me know. There's a bit of a curve but its fairly intuitive if you are used to adobe.

Couple folks on youtube:

Terry White - is a developer or something for youtube, long thorough videos

Sonduckfilm - great 20 minute how tos

flatpackfx - great after effects how toos

Peter Mckinnon - more photography related but really good ad includes Premiere

TutVid - all adobe

After Effects Tutorials w mikey - lots of good stuff

Awesome. I appreciate you taking the time. I'll check them out and if I get stuck, I'll reach out.

-wolff

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
In addition to Premiere Pro and/or AfterEffects, if you are on an Apple system, iMovie comes built in to the computer.
It is much easier to learn and operate, but you are limited to transitions/titles that come with it.
Just an alternative suggestion.
Also, if your agency has access to Lynda.com, they have in-depth classes in just about any editing software made.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Canon D80 for video and pictures. For editing, Adobe Premier and After Effects are the best. If you want something free, DaVinci Resolve is the best by far. Some of the cool transitions and effects are locked in the free version, but it has a lot of good stuff for not costing a dime.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
When I was editing video, my go-to for simple home walkthrough videos (no voice-overs, only sound was the royalty-free music we played, transitions were standardized fade-from-white, cross-fade as many times as needed, and then fade-to-white) was Photoshop CC.

After Effects helped when I was using a slider on a tripod because of the warp stabilizer tool.

I've used PS, Premiere Pro and I've test-driven a few other programs (Sony Vegas crosses my mind as one that didn't make the cut).

For learning, I've tried youtube a few times, but AFX really didn't start "clicking" until I got a trial from Lynda.com. Now, I'm not nearly as proficient in it as I am with PS (which I know because I've been at least putzing with off and on for the past 10-15 years and I'm a quick study when it suits me Wink ), but I can muddle my way through.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post