SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP Jon Karkow - Icon A5 accident
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Jon Karkow - Icon A5 accident Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
I lost a good friend yesterday. Here is a picture of Jon from a few months ago when he visited us. I can't tell you how many friends I've lost over the last 40 years in aircraft accidents Frown

RIP Jon

https://www.avweb.com/avwebfla...-Crash-228966-1.html

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That is horrible news, RIP.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news

RIP

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to their families and friends

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Condolences.

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very sorry about the death of your friend, Jon

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. Condolences to the family and friends.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Condolences.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Horrible loss of two skilled and talented folks. My condolences.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
very sorry.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Condolences to you and to his family. I am sorry this happened to your friend. Frown

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Very sorry

Prayers sent for Family and Friends comfort and healing.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Been following the development of the A5 and will be very interested to know what happened in this crash. Please update this thread as more information emerges.

Condolences to both the pilot and co-pilot and their families.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
So sorry for your loss.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss.

Blue Skies and tailwinds to your friend.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
My condolences to you and the family. My dad is (was) a pilot and lost a lot of friends through the years. Considering some of their stories, I am surprised he made it to retire.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the loss of your friend.
This is a terrible blow for Icon--their chief test pilot flying in local territory (Lake Berryessa).

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear, well experienced for sure.

Just some tidbits I've seen mentioned, there was some 'box canyon' potential in the area depending on flight profile flown.

There was also mention of a cable across the water. If so that would come out early with evidence of a broken wire.

They seem very familiar with the area, so one could 'assume' they were aware of local hazards.

It seems like a plane often flown rather low, which puts you down there with potential contributors.

Condolences to family & friends.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I've heard a lot of conjecture from friends on the scene who are experienced in aircraft accident investigations, but nothing definitive yet. I sold one of my homebuilt experimentals to Jon a few years ago, as he was one of 2 or 3 people I trusted to maintain the EZ properly and fly safely - and not sue me if something happened.

He was as safe and procedure driven methodical pilot as I've ever met..and will be sorely missed by many in the aviation community.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post