SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Do You Define “Alcoholism”?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Define “Alcoholism”? Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
" one is too many, and a thousand aren't enough "

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:

a counselor put it to me and my now late ex-wife this way: Can you take a drink, then put it down and not have another drop of alcohol for 30 days.
Using that definition, I am definitely not an alcoholic. Not a problem for me to put down a drink, even an unfinished one, and not touch another drop, not even miss it or think about it, for weeks and weeks.

I am not a teetotaler, but if alcohol were to totally disappear I would not miss it. On the other hand, when I do have the occasional drink, be it beer, wine, a mixed drink, whatever, I do enjoy it. One. Maybe, rarely, two. When I do drink, it is for the taste, not for the effect. When out at a restaurant I will not drink unless they have exactly what I want. No Yuengling on draft? OK, I'll stick with water. Or a couple of times a year I might feel like ordering a Gibson. No cocktail onions so you're offering me a Martini instead of a Gibson? No thanks, I'll stick with water. This probably saves me five or ten bucks, not having a drink if you don't have what I want.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I enjoyed reading this thread tonight/this morning.

I've wondered at times lately if I drink too much.
According to what I've read tonight I'm an alcoholic.

I drink 2 or 3 beers 5 days a week after work.
I get off work around midnight or so, wife is already in bed.
Get home at 1:00 AM, take a shower, let the dogs out, drink a few beers to wind down and get to bed.
I'll drink a few on weekend nights as well, usually as I cook dinner or if we go out.

I only drink in the evenings on the weekends, when all my work or things I want to get done for the day are finished.
I'm not one of those that can drink while I mow or work around the house.
I'll only drink during the week when I get off work.

Perhaps my crutch (in my mind) is that I just can't come home at 1:00 AM and just go to bed after being at work for 12 hours.
I need to shower, wind down, cruise my forums, play with the dogs (quietly), and relax before I get in bed.

But I will say, as someone mentioned, my issue seems to be habit.

I read this 1LL and it's a copy of me, minus the wife.
It seems it is habit now.
I got home last night and fired up the grill and did some baby back ribs. Beer included.
That's also habit now pretty much. Come home, let the dog out, change out my clothes and grill/drink.
Weekends are the same for me also. Work before play. Maybe mow the yard, clean the house, do laundry, whatever.
Mid to later afternoon and I have the grill or smoker fired up. Then I start drinking again.
I don't go to work smelling like a beer. I don't go to family functions smelling like a beer. I don't have the shakes during the day.
I also have no illusion that I do drink to much.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I enjoyed reading this thread tonight/this morning.

I've wondered at times lately if I drink too much.
According to what I've read tonight I'm an alcoholic.

I drink 2 or 3 beers 5 days a week after work.
I get off work around midnight or so, wife is already in bed.
Get home at 1:00 AM, take a shower, let the dogs out, drink a few beers to wind down and get to bed.
I'll drink a few on weekend nights as well, usually as I cook dinner or if we go out.

I only drink in the evenings on the weekends, when all my work or things I want to get done for the day are finished.
I'm not one of those that can drink while I mow or work around the house.
I'll only drink during the week when I get off work.

Perhaps my crutch (in my mind) is that I just can't come home at 1:00 AM and just go to bed after being at work for 12 hours.
I need to shower, wind down, cruise my forums, play with the dogs (quietly), and relax before I get in bed.

But I will say, as someone mentioned, my issue seems to be habit.
I'll come home and drink a beer even if I don't really feel like having one.

My biggest issue is weight gain, I could stand to lose a few pounds.
Honestly this is the only reason I question drinking too much.
Whether that is right or wrong IDK.

I only drink beer, I don't drink liquor.
I did drink liquor in my earlier years (16 to 27) but have no use for hard liquor the last 30 years.
I've actually offended friends in bars that bought me a shot that I politely refused.
Some seem to take that as a personal insult, but since I drive for a living, I refuse to risk a DWI or any hangover the next day.

There seem to be many variables on drinking too much.
Some have a few drinks every night and go to work the next day.
Some start and can't seem to stop until they are shitfaced.
Some prioritize drinking over family, employment, etc.
I lived with one of those years ago.

Perhaps after reading through this thread I could only drink on the weekends.
But if I stopped drinking nightly, there is a chance i wouldn't drink at all.
I see no negatives there.

It really seems to me I have a bad habit.
Feel free to comment.....

Thanks 1LL

My only advice, based on lived experience:
There is an invisible line that you can cross (with regards to alcohol or other drug consumption), and once you do cross it, you can never, ever go back to the way things were. Ever.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:
If you're trying to answer the question, "Do I have a problem?", a counselor put it to me and my now late ex-wife this way: Can you take a drink, then put it down and not have another drop of alcohol for 30 days. If you can't do that, you have a serious problem.

I could... if I slept like a normal person! However, at least to this point in time, the only way I can sleep is to have a large dose of bourbon before bed... enough to get a good buzz going. Even that doesn't always work (a little better than 70/30), but it most certainly does help overall. I have gone days without the bedtime drink and didn't feel that I "needed a drink", but I sure as heck felt I needed to sleep!!!

Do wake up wanting a drink, or feel I "need" a drink during the day? NO. Actually, I'd like to quit it altogether, but I want sleep worse at this point in time, so until I start sleeping normally again, the bourbon will likely be had right before bedtime... Frown

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post