SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LED shop lights
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED shop lights Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I put 11 of the Sylvania LED 4 footers in my shop. Cheap from Sam's Club.
They are the 5000k color temperature.
I love how bright it is now.
I just recently added a single 4 footer almost directly over the gas grill.

IMG_20171030_175825563 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20171030_175806312 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 12 4' fixtures in my shop and replaced them with 5000k led. direct replacements

I bought these while on sale and bulk buy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ph...ack-472910/303040479

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I had 4 two-bulb fixtures of florescent fixtures in my garage.
I replaced them all with LED's.
Retrofit is not difficult.
They are GREAT, no ballasts anymore.
Note: you do have to pay attention to single or dual end connection type and the bulbs even came with tombstones (end connections)if you need them.
I used Hyperikon T-8 bulbs from Amazon - 4K color.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperik...rescent%2Btubes&th=1

Hypericon makes crap products, I'd stay as far from them as possible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Note: you do have to pay attention to single or dual end connection type and the bulbs even came with tombstones (end connections)if you need them.

Could you elaborate? I am getting ready to buy more and do not want to if there are issues that I am unaware of.

Thanks

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
quote:
quote:

Could you elaborate? I am getting ready to buy more and do not want to if there are issues that I am unaware of.

Thanks

Not from me.
I retrofitted 4 fixtures.
Went like clockwork.
High quality, IMO.
Results were amazing.
Mine are two years or so old now.

You do have some choices to be aware of:
* single or dual end power (I used single end)
* different color temp options
* clear or frosted tubes.
* tombstone ends are industry standard but there can be some variance to fit in fixture. I only had one Sears fixture that I had to modify.

YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I put the 4ft ones from Costco in my garage. $20 each. Looks like a bright sunny day in there now.

They also have just the bulbs $13 for a 2 pack.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks

I repair lights and other electrical things for a living. I've seen more failed hyperikon lamps than any other brand. I'm at the Lacoste store every two months replacing them. They should not have experienced one failure yet if they lasted as long as they claim. They should last a decade.

Granted I am responsible for maintaining thousands of lamps so I see more failures than someone with seven lights vs 70 or 700.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I am using a 'Big Ass' LED garage light fixture. Its so bright they send you a pair of sunglasses with the box.

https://store.bigassfans.com/the-garage-light

Holy Smoke ! $400 for a garage or shop light ? I'll pass.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy Smoke ! $400 for a garage or shop light ? I'll pass.

Even their own page shows how awesome a 2-car garage looks with 3 of these, so $1200.
Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
FWIW, Costco has some 4' lights on sale for $20 right now.

These are what I have in my garage. They have a pull switch/ chain providing me the option of a not-so-bright area or as bright as I want. Also, two of them are always switched on and controlled from a light switch in the house (washer and dryer are in the garage)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 2 60 watt bulbs in my garage + a 40 watt in my opener. I replaced the 2 60’s with 2 10,000 lumen LED plug ins that I picked up at my local Rural King for $70 each. I love them.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks

I repair lights and other electrical things for a living. I've seen more failed hyperikon lamps than any other brand. I'm at the Lacoste store every two months replacing them. They should not have experienced one failure yet if they lasted as long as they claim. They should last a decade.

Granted I am responsible for maintaining thousands of lamps so I see more failures than someone with seven lights vs 70 or 700.

Your opinion is much appreciated, thanks!

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
Looking to replace several 8ft fluorescent lights in my garage and workshop. Workshop currently has four fixtures wired in and the garage has three of them. Looks like majority of the LED fixtures are 4ft and need to be linked together. I plan to surface mount these to the ceiling like the current fixtures as opposed to hanging them and will be hard wired in. What's the best bang for the buck out there? Are the all the same or are there certain brands from Amazon or such that are better than those purchased from Lowes or HD?

On a side note, check with your electric utility for residential or commercial rebates for LED lighting. As a utility customer, you're already paying for these rebate programs, you might as well get some of your $$$ back.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Censored:

Do you have a recommendation?

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:https://gunnar.com/do-environm...hts-cause-blindness/

Do some google under "LED bothers eyes"

Thanks for the post and the link--very informative stuff. BTW the comments under the gunnar.com article had me LOLing several times.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As a contractor let me suggest that you go to your local lighting place that caters to contractors and find some 8' direct wire
LED lights. The quality will be much better than the stuff on Amazon etc.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
For those with regular screw in bulb fixtures...

FYI
If you have regular porcelain sockets and want to upgrade easily...

I am loving these from Northern tool. Put them in my attic and garage. Come in two sizes and with or without reflectors. I like the reflector throwing the light down at a wide angle instead of wasting light lighting up the ceiling.

Two drawbacks.
Cost (Watch for sales, as much as $10 off sometimes) and the reflector ones only have a slight hesitation to come on, maybe a half second, just enough to be noticeable or make you think you flipped the wrong switch. (they do come on at full power)

https://www.northerntool.com/s..._200679033_200679033

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got these https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 off of Amazon and retrofitted them into my existing 8ft fluorescent fixtures. I was able to reduce the number of fixtures I had by about 40%, plus I no longer have the fluorescent ballast hummmmm. Cost a little, but hopefully will pay off in the long run.

No need to replace the fixtures.

I have 1 8' and 2 4' fixtures in my 2 car garage.
Replaced the 8' with the one suggested above and the 4' with the same brand.
I bought the 5000K for a pure white light (no blue tint)
Bought from Amazon.

4 foot

8 foot

One of the 8' was bent in shipping.
But the company sent me another one no charge.

Ended up replacing 2 4' fixtures in the house, laundry room and master closet.

Had to rewire the fixtures, but it only took a few minutes.
No regrets.
No more fluorescent lag in freezing temps in the garage.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jesse,

Thanks for the warning. Also, Darn! Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I repair lights and other electrical things for a living. I've seen more failed hyperikon lamps than any other brand.
I'm at the Lacoste store every two months replacing them.
They should not have experienced one failure yet if they lasted as long as they claim.
They should last a decade.

I respect your opinion and experience.
I wonder if the fixtures, conditions and previous installations may have contributed to any of the failures.
How does it compare with other industry rates?
FWIW, Amazon has 86% or better 5 star ratings with a many, many reviews for Hyperikon.
Just trying to keep it in perspective.
Thanks

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post