SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knipex tools, worth the money?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knipex tools, worth the money? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Customer at work showed me his little six inch adjustable pliers be carries around everyday. They were Knipex brand and seemed solid and well made. I wasn't familiar with them, looked online and they are spendy! Anyone here have or use these? Are they worth the price of admission?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I bought this set several years ago to keep inside the house for minor repairs, etc. They're excellent. You'll get a minor rush every time you pick one up.

As a matter of fact, the only tools that I've ever been sorry about buying were the 'bargains'.

"Buy once cry once".

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Have a set of 4 plier wrenches; use the smallest one most. 6” I believe. For what they do, to me they’re worth it.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with Klein tools for pliers and everything else. Buy Knipex for adjustable 'channel lock' type pliers for pipe.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yes!

I had to loan a pair out last week. They were amazed at the quality and utility.

Mighty fine product.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few tools and I consider my Knipex 8603300 pliers to rank very close to the top as far as quality and design.

They have jaws which remain parallel both during movement and while at rest and the jaws are smooth which minimizes damage to relatively delicate surfaces like chrome or brushed stainless, even without using soft jaw inserts.

Adjustment is rapid with the mere push of a button and the ratcheting type mechanism exerts great force accurately and smoothly since there is minimal torsional movement due to the design, unlike traditional water pump type pliers.

As an added benefit, I've found them to be perfect for driving in roll pins without using a hammer and punch. They work very well on AR trigger guards, for example.

The phrase, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" definitely applies to just about every Knipex tool I own.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
Customer at work showed me his little six inch adjustable pliers be carries around everyday. They were Knipex brand and seemed solid and well made. I wasn't familiar with them, looked online and they are spendy! Anyone here have or use these? Are they worth the price of admission?

Knipex tools are excellent quality. I use them a great deal. Their smooth-jaw adjustable pliers work really well in fasteners and soft, aluminum hydraulic fittings. I have some that have seen heavy use for over 20 years.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knipex is quality tools.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Knipex are professional quality tools right up there w/ Snap-on. Their pliers wrench is their signature tool. I don't know anyone else who makes something comparable.

Think about other expensive tools, such as a Sig Sight adjustment tool or high quality torque wrench. They are worth it if you use them often or make a living by using your tools.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Worth every penny.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Knipex pliers from about 30 years ago that I used in a previous career as an auto mechanic.
Still use them to this day.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of those adjustable pliers, small and large. Well worth the money. The best adjustable wrench I've ever used.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Overpriced. Klein tools are great and have a great warranty. Made millions of them.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sometimes a particular tool fills a need that nothing else can, and you have to pony up.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have several Knipex pliers and side cutters. They are very solid tools.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Knipex makes a great channel lock type pliers, in a previous life as an auto mechanic I bought a pair from the Snap-on man when they first started selling them. Used them for a long time with a couple of industrial maintenance jobs until I finally wore the teeth off turning hardened steel parts on and off. My present employer replaced them and I use them just about every work day. Great product.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have owned Knipex stuff for going on 30 years. Very nicely made and concur with the "on par with Snap-On" comments.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
Knipex makes a great channel lock type pliers,

Box joint is the design strong point.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Per a YouTube channel I watch: "In Knipex we trust."

I don't have any, because I haven't gotten around to ordering a set, but I've handled and used a pair and they're quality tools.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for costing me money, yet again, Sigforum! I'd never heard of these until this thread. Of course, I HAD to order a 10" Pliers Wrench!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post