SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knipex tools, worth the money?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knipex tools, worth the money? Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they do look nice but I've spent a fortune on Snap-On and Xcelite from my days working on airplanes

my biggest regret was leaving about $20k worth of air tools and compressors behind when I landed my first engineering job - I was so happy to get out of the aviation business that I didn't want to look at another air tool again...wish I had them now

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but rather when you have your foot firmly on the enemies neck

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison

Posts: 45157 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a collection of Channellocks, off brand dikes and lineman's pliers, and (mostly Craftsman, but many others) screwdrivers. As much as I'd like to spend $200 on a set of these tools, I just can't bring myself to do it. Mine work fine.

RESIST! RESIST!

Is there an app that will prevent you from buying shit on Amazon?

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 13373 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've got a collection of Channellocks, off brand dikes and lineman's pliers, and (mostly Craftsman, but many others) screwdrivers. As much as I'd like to spend $200 on a set of these tools, I just can't bring myself to do it. Mine work fine.

RESIST! RESIST!

Is there an app that will prevent you from buying shit on Amazon?

If SIGforum and Amazon didn't exist I'd be a rich man. I need some good well made channel locks, so out comes the CC. Frown Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 5948 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
WTF, dude. Ya can't take it with ya. You'll love them and never look back.

[Justin Wilson voice] I Gauarantee.[/Justin Wilson voice]

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 12824 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Knipex tools are awesome. Mine travel the world with me to job site near and far. One of the first tools in the bag.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1476 | Location: New Hampshire & Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
posted Hide Post
Count me in the group looking at them now. So if I were to buy, which ones does everyone recommend?

Posts: 1923 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i have been using 10 inch alligator pliers on the job for 30 yrs

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-...0_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 664 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Count me in the group looking at them now. So if I were to buy, which ones does everyone recommend?

All of Knipex's tools are very high quality. The really unique tool they make is the Pliers Wrench (and also the Cobra Wrench).

I have the Pliers Wrench in 125mm (5"), 150mm (6"), 180mm (7") and 250mm (10") sizes.

I think the 7" and 10" are both very useful sizes. I bought the 5" and 6" to try both and see which one I wanted to put in my little "stuff pouch" that goes in my work bag. I ended up with the 5" ones in the pouch. They're tiny, they look like a little toy, but they're pretty stout.

Posts: 3822 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
i have been using 10 inch alligator pliers on the job for 30 yrs

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-...0_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

+1 to this. These are just like the pliers I had for over 30 years before I finally dulled the teeth. They are like the HK or Sig of pliers. I was not familiar with the Pliers Wrench but I can see one being handy.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 7967 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The 3 piece set of Alligator pliers (7", 10", 12") is a good deal for three very useful sizes.

Priced at Amazon.

Posts: 7192 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was a retailer of these many years ago. I would stand on the handle as seen in this video and amaze techs. https://youtu.be/41WRX7tJLx0

Posts: 6787 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post