SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else living in an odd area
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else living in an odd area Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No,Kroger. I’d rather have the clap than shop Walmart.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the Yoop. Near Marquette. Been to other places. As long as I can make a living, I will never leave again... Other than for short visits elsewhere... Big Grin

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live an hour North of Miami in Pompano Beach. And YES, in the past ten years, the weirdness keeps getting weirder. Not to mention this years spring break is off the chain busy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spend as much time as I can at my place in the UP. Years ago, when we started tent camping UP there, we campers had a saying: "Don't tell anyone about this place." Sadly, tourist visitation has increased dramatically in the last 10 years.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m PA Dutch on both sides. Grew up mostly in Texas but Lancaster county on one side, York on the other.

(Just sold the family farm this year. We’ve had it for generations, but the neighbors will have a use for it, and it’s just a constant drain of money, for a place none of us would go back to... Central PA is full of great people, but the gov’t Philly inflicts on them is a bit tough to take.)

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Tucson, AZ.

What's wrong with Tucson? I've been thinking of visiting there.

Very heavy Liberal minded fueled by Democratic Mayor and City Council.

Loaded with Snowbirds during winter months making traffic horrible along with shitty roads.

100-105 degrees during summer months.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
heck I just ordered a kilt from 511 tactical in Cammo.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I was noticing that today in my area. I went grocery shopping and saw a man wearing glitter eye shadow, purple hair, an exposed shoulder, midriff cut blouse and felt slippers. He probably weighed 300 pounds. On the next aisle was a woman wearing full footie pajamas, tiger striped, with the drop flap seat. Not related, but crime is up significantly, especially shootings. Life is getting weird.

Walmart people?

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Plenty of freaks and weirdos out here. A while back I had to go into downtown Seattle, man it has turned into something else.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I lived right off Oceanfront Walk in Venice Beach, CA for a summer when I was in my 20’s. I enjoyed it at first but by the end I was weary of the seedy side of it and felt relief when I left.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I live in a town called Normal.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I am stuck in California. I believe I win the cake for living in the oddest area.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've lived everywhere, Cleveland, Phoenix, West Hartford, Winston Salem, even extended personal stays in Hawaii and Germany. I find myself wanting to be back in Northeast Ohio more and more.

Winston Salem is weird as hell. Hilbillies, White Trash, people who think they are fancy, but really aren't, random pockets of ghetto latinos, and not a single good restaurant in the entire city.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No. Only when tourists come.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I've lived everywhere, Cleveland, Phoenix, West Hartford, Winston Salem, even extended personal stays in Hawaii and Germany. I find myself wanting to be back in Northeast Ohio more and more.

Winston Salem is weird as hell. Hilbillies, White Trash, people who think they are fancy, but really aren't, random pockets of ghetto latinos, and not a single good restaurant in the entire city.

Ha. I grew up about 20 minutes west of Winston. Sounds about right.

Too damn many people around where I live (Charlotte). Unfortunately I’m stuck here for another 13 or 14 years. And there’s plenty weird. But even more assholes.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

You have a time when they don’t come?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P210,

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad I don't live in a place where folks use words like "tenderonie".

Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
When I was in grad school, I lived in an extremely odd place, the Montrose District of Houston in the early 90's: a mix of straight bars, gay bars, tattoo parlors, bike shops, restaurants, used clothing stores, low cost housing, and decent single family home neighborhoods. It was relatively safe, but wow, what a melting pot of professions, cultures and lifestyles. Its odd in a really fun way, but would not want to live there now.

Later in life I lived in a high-dollar area North of Houston called "The Woodlands" which was not odd enough: 50% of the residents were oil and gas company middle to upper management, and was one of the least diverse places Ive ever lived. Mostly white, but the Hispanic sub-population were usually rich Mexican families who had fled Mexico City for the sake of theirs and their childrens safety. Almost no non-chain restaurants made it so that the wife and I ate out rarely, and when we did it was either for pho, sushi or at the one good indy restaurant (Hubbell and Hudson Kitchen, now Tre).

The area in NC I live in now is very mixed culturally but fairly middle class, and very mixed culturally and has great dining options. Its a pretty happy medium.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

You have a time when they don’t come?

When it’s -25 F and below, they tend to stay home Wink
‘Course, I do, too, or just leave town altogether!
ETA: From your location, though, I see where you might never escape tourists... yet I’m still jealous....

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
When I was in grad school, I lived in an extremely odd place, the Montrose District of Houston in the early 90's: a mix of straight bars, gay bars, tattoo parlors, bike shops, restaurants, used clothing stores, low cost housing, and decent single family home neighborhoods. It was relatively safe, but wow, what a melting pot of professions, cultures and lifestyles. Its odd in a really fun way, but would not want to live there now.

Later in life I lived in a high-dollar area North of Houston called "The Woodlands" which was not odd enough: 50% of the residents were oil and gas company middle to upper management, and was one of the least diverse places Ive ever lived. Mostly white, but the Hispanic sub-population were usually rich Mexican families who had fled Mexico City for the sake of theirs and their childrens safety. Almost no non-chain restaurants made it so that the wife and I ate out rarely, and when we did it was either for pho, sushi or at the one good indy restaurant (Hubbell and Hudson Kitchen, now Tre).

The area in NC I live in now is very mixed culturally but fairly middle class, and very mixed culturally and has great dining options. Its a pretty happy medium.

The Montrose is now getting more upscale that it was in the '80s, which was when I lived near there, and your 1990's. The weirdos and the more fringe elements can't afford it any more. And it isn't better for that, either. Still some good restaurants down there, though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post