SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brooks Falls Bear/Salmon live cam (and others) now up and running
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brooks Falls Bear/Salmon live cam (and others) now up and running Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska, USA
https://explore.org/livecams/b...mon-cam-brooks-falls

Lots of other cams, too.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

They're pretty lean right now, but they'll be some fat bastards by Labor Day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful sight. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for posting

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Where is my net? Damn the luck. 3000 miles way.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The kids and I are really enjoying this; thanks for posting it!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best link post in July so far.

Every month I search for web cam's , especially bird cam's

I have never seen this one , thanks for taking the time to share

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Here is the link for the EXPLORE homepage.

https://explore.org/livecams

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I will be there July 24th for our own live cam. Can't wait!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
This morning I was watching a bear sitting in the water like a dog sits right behind the near spot where all the fish are jumping. Every few minutes he would stick his head under water between his front legs and pick out a salmon. I suspect he turned himself into a fish trap by letting salmon get swept back between his legs after they failed to make the jump. Smart animals.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
My daughter and I will be there July 24th for our own live cam. Can't wait!

Yeah, and you live there. Lucky.

I am researching a trip myself for next July to Anchorage with a side trip to Brooks Falls nestled in there somewhere.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We were at Katmai about 10 days ago. We took a float plane to the “Bear Garden”

It was truly an amazing place. We were free to wander around a +/- 1000 acre field (with our pilot/guide) and counted 24 bears at once. We estimated there were 30 bears in total that we saw in about 3 hours on the ground.

The guidelines were that we would not approach closer than 50 yards but if a bear came closer we would let them. On came to within 10 feet....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Right now, there is a bear at the top of the falls catching salmon in mid air.

Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I watched one bear (couldn’t tell if he was young and inexperienced or old with dull teeth) catch 23 fish in the air only to have each one wriggle free.

It’s very entertaining to me to watch.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Seen it in person.

Funny story: I'm a new photographer, got my shinny Canon L series USM 100-400 4.5-5.6(there was only one version back then). It's a nice lens now, was top-of-the-line back then.

I fly into King Salmon from Anchorage. King Salmon is a small regional airport. The Brooks Lodge guys take our bags and load them onto little four-seater float planes. They don't really pay attention with regard to putting your baggage on the same plane you fly into the lodge on.

My luggage gets put on the plane before me. That plane takes off. Based on the difference between my departure time and the earlier flight, I know my stuff will be sitting on the front steps of the lodge for about 20 minutes. Plenty of time for someone to walk off with my brand new lens. That wouldn't have only been a significant financial loss, but also would have stuck me with using only a 24-105mm (way not enough zoom for Alaskan brown bears).

When I get to the lodge, all my stuff is there.

It wasn't until I got to the bear viewing platforms that I saw I had nothing to fear. The lenses the other 'togs were using were fixed 800mm and 600mms, easily 6x+ what my little "popgun" lens cost. They probably saw me with my 100-400 and thought "ha! cute!"

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Hoping I have enough lens for the trip. Booked with Rust's Flying Service and we'll be flying a float plane direct from Anchorage to the Brooks Lodge. We're each limited to 1 bag of no more than 10lbs. Trying to pair down my gear to make the requirements. Probably go with my Nikon D7500 body, 18-300 zoom and 200-500 zoom. Probably loan my daughter my 55-300 zoom to go on her Nikon D3500. I may look into getting a teleconverter for the trip.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post