SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot Vacuum?? Wife wants one.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot Vacuum?? Wife wants one. Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I was reading a while back how hackers got into these robot vac’s and used the stored self created maps in it’s memory to case houses for possible burglary attempts. Crazy stuff!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom bought a robo vacuum when they first came out. It worked pretty good for about 4 days. Then we came home and it was in 50 pieces, spread out from one end of the house to the other. Our 125 lb German Sheperd had a huge smile on his face......LOLOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
My mom bought a robo vacuum when they first came out. It worked pretty good for about 4 days. Then we came home and it was in 50 pieces, spread out from one end of the house to the other. Our 125 lb German Sheperd had a huge smile on his face......LOLOLOLOL

Thats funny. My long hair GSD sees the robot as competition for his food. As soon a the vacuum starts up my dog runs into the laundry room and he begins scarfing down his kibble. This includes the kibble he drops and the floor which is one of the reasons I bought the Roomba. Win!!! I will always have a GSD and a Roomba.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Take heed, if you have pets, and avoid the Pooptastrophe!

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a Roomba 790 recently on sale.
Works pretty good, as long as you aren't too picky, because it does leave stuff in inaccessible places.

Really fun to watch! ....for a while. Frown

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
Pooptastrophe!

Poopocalypse!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
Ive heard great reviews about the Shark also from people who returned their Roombas right after using them a few days

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
My daughter got one. Her big corgi hates vacuums. The Roomba started it's run, the corgi did his polar bear pounce, and that was the end to it.

I love corgis!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I just bought an ILIFE on sale, and I must say I'm quite impressed! I have a one-floor townhouse, fully wood-floored (except for the bathrooms).

Even when I think I've got a clean house, I let loose the ILIFE and it comes back with a tray full of cruft.

It does have trouble with two of my fringed oriental carpets, and I've noticed it will sometimes try to drag along wires and cables it comes across, but this just teaches me to be more careful how I run my cabling.

All in all, a sweet little addition. Supposedly, I can program this to a degree, but it seems to be doing just fine by itself. I can also tell it -- through its remote -- to go "home" and dock itself.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
We have a Deebot N79. Had an issue with the first one we bought through Amazon after a couple of months and Deebot shipped us a new one and a UPS label to return the old one.

We use it in an area of the house where the dogs stay (kitchen, office, bathroom, laundry room) and run it each day when we get home from work. It does a great job of getting up dirt and dog hair, but you want to be thorough in cleaning it out after each use. It comes with a small cleaning brush that has a built in blade to cut hairs that get wrapped around the roller brush.

Just ordered another one which will be used in the rest of the house, so obviously we're happy with it.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought the Samsung as it was highly rated by
Consumers and it really does the job. We have mostly hardwood and one deep pile area rug.
It runs itself around__hits area four times and
will go "home" and park itself, recharge and go at it again. Wife uses the remote sometimes___to tell
it what she wants it to do.
Pricey but seems worth it.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard of these things, but never thought much of them till I saw this video this morning from a YouTube channel I’m subbed to. They are big into drones, but every once in a while they’s do something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883nL4WYSaw

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Wife wants a robo vacuum for down stairs. It's a 50/50 mixture of hardwoods and regular carpet. We do have 2x rottweilers that shed regularly. She wants something to just help with maintenance between firing up the Dyson.

This one seemed to have decent reviews on Amazon: ECOVACS DEEBOT N79

Any suggestion? Trying to stay $300 +/-.

My mom got one, one time. It worked ok for about a week. Then her 120lb German Shepard decided he wasn't having it anymore. We came home and the thing was strewn in 100 pieces across the living room floor. I'd be a little leery about having one with 2-100lb Rottweilers as you might have the same outcome.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
DJ Roomba in the house!

With all my cats and dogs, a robot vacuum is a blessing!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read through the various threads here and the sea of reviews online, but would appreciate feedback from the robovac owners here.

I'm looking for a model that can handle Golden Retriever hair on carpet. I like the models that follow a route to clean the room, instead of randomly searching the area for dirt. Neato has a model where you can set boundaries through the app instead of using magnetic strips or boxes...I like this feature. Under $1k is ideal, and it seems like every buyer has to contact customer service at some point so good support is a plus.

Any suggestions? And with longer hair should daily maintenance be expected?

Thank you!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have a Roomba that is 6 years old and a Neato that is 3 years old. Both are still running and make life sooooooo much easier. Batteries need to be replaced every couple years. Make sure you clean the moving parts every once in a while.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
I've read through the various threads here and the sea of reviews online, but would appreciate feedback from the robovac owners here.

I'm looking for a model that can handle Golden Retriever hair on carpet. I like the models that follow a route to clean the room, instead of randomly searching the area for dirt. Neato has a model where you can set boundaries through the app instead of using magnetic strips or boxes...I like this feature. Under $1k is ideal, and it seems like every buyer has to contact customer service at some point so good support is a plus.

Any suggestions? And with longer hair should daily maintenance be expected?

Thank you!

A bit over a year with our Neato & still going well.
Ours pre-dates the app-set boundaries, so we have a magnet strip blocking one area.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have two Roomba vacuums, one upstairs and one downstairs. I like them both. As stated already, you do have to clean them, hair and such. With two long haired ladies , a Rotty and five cats it gets clogged up quickly.

I don't use the smart features at all, I just let them go, they do a great job.

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had a Roomba for about 5 years and have been happy with it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robbyfine:
I'm also considering getting one for my wife. We don't have any pets and tile on all floors except the bedrooms. But I'm a bit concerned about the noise. My wife telecommutes. I suppose we could just close her office door. That would probably have to happen anyway. How noisy are they? I've read the reviews on https://robotbox.net but still need some real world experiences.

Roomba and Neato user for several years. Useful tools, and like everything else, used as intended. About the same noise as a regular vacuum, or maybe a little less, and most cover different floor types well. Storage bin needs to be emptied usually after every run - which you should do with a regular vacuum (new Roomba reportedly empties itself, but haven't used). Battery life now pretty good on most models. Most can map and cover rooms pretty well now (BTW, burglars are welcome to a floor plan of my house - be happy to publish it online - I actually used to do that every couple of years when I moved frequently in the military and sold my house. They still won't know where the good stuff is, including my guns, one of which will be in my hand if I'm home, or what areas the blank floor plan represents, or where I'm located, or what's in my house - or even how big it is since the maps are pretty limited, and it likely won't take them long to figure out my floor plan if they break in and get past my security and cameras and the arrival of the local constabulary if I'm gone). Most have the ability to restrict the vacuum to certain areas. Vacuum not quite as good as top-line vacuums, but make up for it by frequent runs. You can schedule regular cleaning, but as YouTube points out, the robot vacs won't know the difference between your cat's pop and lint, so if you have an incontinent critter roaming loose, use the scheduled mode wisely. All require robot-proofing your house - pick up the Legos, secure loose wires. You need to do the same thing with a normal vacuum too. They require routine maintenance to clean rollers and brushes, just like your upright Hoover. Advantages of robots - they clean your house while you are gone, as frequently as needed. Your floors will always be clean, all things being equal. Your interior air will be cleaner and more dust-free (most have HEPA filters). They will get under stuff you can't, like your bed, regularly. They don't require any manual effort on your part, other than before-mentioned maintenance. They never complain, get tired, or need a break. You don't have to feed them (electricity excepted). Pretty useful, and now mature technology.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post