SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions on brining a turkey.....help needed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on brining a turkey.....help needed. Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
With the holidays on the way, I will be making the turkey as usual. I have cooked with various methods over the years, but one thing I have never done is brine the turkey and from what I have read that is the key to an excellent turkey.

Last year I bought a Char-broil oilless fryer and it worked amazing making a great turkey. So this year I want to build on this by brining the turkey.

Any suggestions on good methods and recipes to brine a turkey. I know it needs to brine overnight and I am not sure I can make room in my fridge to hold a 5 gallon bucket to brine the turkey overnight. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? One recipe I read said to put the turkey in an oven bag with the brine, put it in a bucket, and put it in the fridge. I know we have plenty of experts on here on this matter so I am looking forward to the responses.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have gone to dry brining because of the hassles involved with the amount of salt and water needed, and fitting a bucket in fridge.

I generally give it 36 hours and I will apply the dry brine and then spritz with apple cider vinegar just to moisten and help get the salt started on it's journey to the center of the bird.

Don't worry about a bunch of other flavorings in your brine, save them for the rub that you apply just before you cook. Salt can penetrate meat but 'flavor' can't unless you inject it.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The whole goal of brining is to get salt into the meat because it helps hold moisture in the bird and salt is a powerful flavor enhancer. Just don't overdo it.

You need to get it under the skin. I like to place the skin back where it was and cook with the skin on as I believe the bird turns out better that way.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I have gone to dry brining because of the hassles involved with the amount of salt and water needed, and fitting a bucket in fridge.

I generally give it 36 hours and I will apply the dry brine and then spritz with apple cider vinegar just to moisten and help get the salt started on it's journey to the center of the bird.

Don't worry about a bunch of other flavorings in your brine, save them for the rub that you apply just before you cook. Salt can penetrate meat but 'flavor' can't unless you inject it.

Do you have a specific recipe/method you can point me to so I can follow it exactly?

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Use this brine mix. You just add it to the appropriate amount of water and you are good to go. I use to mix my own brines all the time but since I started buying from Oak Ridge BBQ I mix my own no more.

Substitute apple cider for some or all of the water. Or add a bottle of beer or wine or whatever suits your tastes.

I freeze half gallon jugs of water in the freezer and put them in the bucket with the brine and turkey to keep the it cold.

Also make sure you are using a food safe container. Don't use a bucket that had driveway sealer in it. Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Search out Alton Brown's video on deep fried turkey. He does a brine in a construction water cooler, thus solving the refrigerator issue.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Do you have a specific recipe/method you can point me to so I can follow it exactly?

I wish I did but I just eyeball it with kosher salt. Eek

I think it works out to roughly a tablespoon per every 5lbs of turkey.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I generally sprinkle on a rub called "The Squeal" that is intended for ribs but I find it exceptional on poultry. I try to use it sparingly because the brine adds plenty of salt.

If you make your own aromatic rub you can leave out the salt and not worry about over salting your bird with a brine + a rub containing salt.

I smoke mine with a little bit of apple wood on a Big Green Egg. I find moisture retention and that hint of smoke flavor to be far superior to an oven cooked turkey but that is subjective.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Back when I used to cook for Thanksgiving, I brined for a couple of years. I liked the way it turned out, although I don't have a specific "recipe" any more. One thing I found, though, was whatever you cook in the cavity gets really salty. The last year I cooked, I put cut potatoes, carrots and onions in instead of my traditional bread filling. The veggies didn't absorb the salt like the bread filling did and turned out quite nice.

The cooler idea is a good one. I live in Colorado at the time, and just put mine in the garage overnight in a large trash can lined with a trash bag. It stayed cool enough I wasn't worried about spoilage.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I did this Cranberry-Pomegranat brined turkey for Thanksgiving a few years ago when I lived in Alaska. After a day or two of brining the bone-in breast, I shoveled the snow to my BGE, lit it, and smoked it until the breast was 165F (ignore the really old cookbooks that say 180F as USDA has revised safe temp and 165F is jucier). It had a nice flavor, and a thin cranberry stain to the meat.

Subsequent years, I made these changes:
  • I followed lastmanstanding's advice and bumped the smoking temperature up to 325 which improved the skin texture.
  • I have a butcher spatchcock the turkey as it cooks faster and more evenly (i.e. no cavity) which results in juicer meat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by StorminNormin:
    With the holidays on the way, I will be making the turkey as usual. I have cooked with various methods over the years, but one thing I have never done is brine the turkey and from what I have read that is the key to an excellent turkey.

Last year I bought a Char-broil oilless fryer and it worked amazing making a great turkey. So this year I want to build on this by brining the turkey.

Any suggestions on good methods and recipes to brine a turkey. I know it needs to brine overnight and I am not sure I can make room in my fridge to hold a 5 gallon bucket to brine the turkey overnight. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? One recipe I read said to put the turkey in an oven bag with the brine, put it in a bucket, and put it in the fridge. I know we have plenty of experts on here on this matter so I am looking forward to the responses.

I have the same fryer and on Easter. I simply rubbed a thick coat of peanut oil on mine and put a healthy dose of garlic salt and through it in the fryer till it was done....I think 170F was what I cooked it to. It was super juicy and came out great.........I didn't bother brining it, as with all of the other Easter crap, there is NEVER enough room in the fridge.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Truth Seeker
    Picture of StorminNormin
    posted Hide Post
    The Charbroil cooker is amazing. Of course a fried turkey is also amazing, but it is SO MUCH easier with the Charbroil. I am just trying to take it to the next level if there is one.

I appreciate all feedback.

Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I've done the same. No worry about large sloppy containers being kept cool, and the results are just as good.

Oh, and you'll get better results if you loosen the skin where possible and rub right on the meat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zoom6zoom,

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    I brine in a 5 gallon bucket every year.
    Just use a bunch of ice or start with a frozen turkey and use a lid.
    I've always used frozen turkeys.
    I have no space to put in the fridge.
    Works every time.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shit don't
    mean shit
    posted Hide Post
    I also use a 5 gallon bucket, with a new trash bag and an Alton Brown recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...urkey-recipe-2010390

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smschulz:
    I brine in a 5 gallon bucket every year.
    Just use a bunch of ice or start with a frozen turkey and use a lid.
    I've always used frozen turkeys.
    I have no space to put in the fridge.
    Works every time.

Same way I do it.

Last time I used about a cup of salt, 1/2 of brown sugar. Peppercorns, orange rinds, bay leaves, and garlic. No real recipe, just tossed it all in there. Three years later and I'm still being asked to make it again. Very simple. I also cooked it on the grill which added a nice smokey flavor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    when i do my cured smoked turkeys, I go the 5 gallon bucket and start with alton browns basic brine. I then adjust sugar/salt combo to include instacure 2. then I brine the birds for around 30 days at 38 degrees. Add a 2days for every 2 degrees below, and 1 day for every 2 degrees above per 24 hour period.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Delusions of Adequacy
    Picture of zoom6zoom
    posted Hide Post
    When I still did the wet brine, I used a good percentage of apple juice added to the water. More flavor.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Live Slow,
    Die Whenever
    Picture of medic451
    posted Hide Post
    I tried brining a few times, recently ive been just doing a dry rub and cajun butter injection on the smoker. Results were better than just the brine so I skip that step now.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post