SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else not understand the appeal of costumes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else not understand the appeal of costumes? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Dress like a

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Jeez...now we are dissecting dressing up on Halloween? You guys gotta lighten up. Smile

I concur.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Does historical reenacting count?

I was going to ask, what about many of the people here that participate in cowboy shoots and wear the old western gear? Or the black powder people that like to sport those coonskin hats?

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I hope my life never becomes so joyless that dressing up for Halloween isn't fun anymore.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've dressed up for several costume parties over the years, and even done some of the at work events. Its a great way to step out of your normal persona and have some fun. Be a little crazy or zany for a day or night.

I'll say that when I used to work in an office, the 'Halloween' day was one where no matter how stressed, you just couldn't walk by some people and not bust out laughing given their costumes. Maybe its just me but I think it's hilarious to watch a guy dressed as Freddie Kruger give a training presentation to fellow employees on a new controls architecture.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Like most others in this thread, it's not my thing, but if an adult wants to wear a costume at there workplace and it's in keeping with the vibe of the company and co-workers, it's cool by me.

The world would be incredibly boring if everyone had my lack of both creativity and sensibilities.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Jeez...now we are dissecting dressing up on Halloween? You guys gotta lighten up. Smile

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm believer in "If you can't have fun when you get out of bed in the morning, don't do it." As such, I have no problem with it, and appreciate the really well done ones.

I don't do so myself, as I am fundamentally lazy and my creativity is limited to swearing.

My chiropractors' office does it, and I went in and got worked on by The Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat. Was pretty cool, but glad I didn't have to wear the makeup all day.

The squirrel, however, was unprofessional. There are places for whimsy, and a court room ain't one of 'em.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I know a guy who went to a Halloween costume party at a nudist colony.

He wore roller skates and went as a pull toy.

Just snorted my water through my nose. Thanks a lot, V-Tail. Smile

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Does historical reenacting count?

I was going to ask, what about many of the people here that participate in cowboy shoots and wear the old western gear? Or the black powder people that like to sport those coonskin hats?
And Civil War Re-enactors?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'm a firm believer in "If you can't have fun when you get out of bed in the morning, don't do it." As such, I have no problem with it, and appreciate the really well done ones.

I don't do so myself, as I am fundamentally lazy and my creativity is limited to swearing.

My chiropractors' office does it, and I went in and got worked on by The Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat. Was pretty cool, but glad I didn't have to wear the makeup all day.

The squirrel, however, was unprofessional. There are places for whimsy, and a court room ain't one of 'em.

Perfect costume for a chiropractor

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
:raises hand:

To be honest, it aggravates me to see otherwise mature adults being childish whining about other people’s clothing like teenage girls.

Fixed it. If it doesn’t hurt you and yours, live and let live.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
:raises hand:

To be honest, it aggravates me to see otherwise mature adults being childish whining about other people’s clothing like teenage girls.

Fixed it. If it doesn’t hurt you and yours, live and let live.

LOL... yep. If people worried about themselves as much as they worry about what others are doing the world would be a much better place.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’d dress up in a costume all of October if I could lol. Guess I’m just immature, but I don’t give a shit, I have fun.

I swear some of you guys must be boring as fuck.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hey...last night my neighbors dressed as witches, Mario, werewolves, etc to distribute candy to the kids trick or treating...I enjoyed it as much as anybody while joining in the walk with my grandkids Smile...
You have to understand, this is coming from a 65 year old guy who dresses up for Cowboy Action Shooting (you ought to see Rolan Kraps Big Grin)...have fun in everything you do Razz

Edit...if I could I would dress to look my avatar every day (they would probably ban me from Publix though Wink)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I swear some of you guys must be boring as fuck.
Well, if the choice is between what you call boring, and wearing a ballerina outfit for a month, I'll gladly take being called boring.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not personally into the dress-up thing, but I can appreciate the creativity - both in concept and execution - of some costumes.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If I had the time I would totally dress up but I have not in a few years.

Nothing wrong with those who do....

And for the record I look gooood in a tutu Cool

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well, if the choice is between what you call boring, and wearing a ballerina outfit for a month, I'll gladly take being called boring.
I just flashed on an image of you losing a bet, and your penalty would be to post a picture of yourself wearing a ballerina outfit, the picture to be taken at high noon on Main Street.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guess I'd like to dress up as a race car driver.

First I'd need a 2018 Z-06 Corvette, and...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post