SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else not understand the appeal of costumes?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else not understand the appeal of costumes? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Maybe I’m a stick in the mud but I don’t get the appeal of costumes. Invariably a bunch of normal functioning, intelligent adults I work with like to go to costume parties and even go to the gym or what not while dressed upthis time of year.

I don’t get it. I see no appeal.

As a kid I did trick or treating a few times but never past the age of 7 or so. It just didn’t appeal to me and even less so now.

Anybody feel the same?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
+1

I get the appeal of slutty costumes on adult women and I get the appeal of dress up for kids going after loads of candy. However, I do not get the appeal of adults dressing up at work (excluding teachers), the gym, to pass out candy, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's not my thing, never has been. Some people love it and I appreciate their creativity and sense of fun around it. I certainly have no issue with it.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
:raises hand:

To be honest, it aggravates me to see otherwise mature adults being childish, especially in a place of business.

But then, I'm kind of a stick in the mud, so there's that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
"Give a man a mask, and he will become his true self."

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
:raises hand:

To be honest, it aggravates me to see otherwise mature adults being childish, especially in a place of business.

But then, I'm kind of a stick in the mud, so there's that.

Yea, this is me too. It bothers me a bit but I just tell myself being bothered by it is my problem and I move on.

And I know I am a stick in the mud too. I don’t go to parties as it is, let alone a costume party. Nothing about a party seems fun. More the opposite to me.

But again, that’s my problem and I try not to let it show to others. Besides here. Lol.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
To each their own but I never understood it either.

Something similar here is Mardi Gras. Silliest crap I have ever seen.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
About the time my nuts dropped as a kid I lost all interest in dressing up.

I have, on very rare occasions, dressed up as an adult. Maybe 6 times in 30+yrs, usually because some girlfriend I had at the time or a super fun party invitation.

I enjoyed a couple of them, maybe three (one White Trash Party was tons of fun, and one Pimps and Hoes Party was as well, and one regular Halloween Party, in 30yrs of adulthood).

Tonight I'm going to a midnight poker game in Jeans+T-shirt and skipping all the dress up.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Kind of my view also.
I don’t mind dressing up (suit, tie, etc.) but not a costume.
And parties?, no thank you. I don’t care for crowds.
I host a yearly bonfire on my place, but the guest list is mainly my kids’ friends and their parents. There is also an ulterior motive: I want to meet the parents of the kids that my kids are hanging out with.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s not generally my schtick but I totally get it. It’s fun for the sake of fun and release from the real world for a bit. Like cosplay.

Now a 16-20 year old trick or treating......that bugs me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Does historical reenacting count?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
I'm not into it, but I appreciate those that are.
If someone provided me a cool costume, I might wear it, but I am way too unmotivated to actually spend any effort to create a costume.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We do it when the kids trick or treat but only because it’s in a small town setting with a huge turnout with sort of a festival atmosphere. Town is Shepherdstown WV. They have trick or treat on the main drag with a ton of pretty cool costumes.

Some of my fondest Halloween memories were being scared on that night as a kid, so I try and pay it forward. I like to put on my ghillie for which I made a second pair of gloves with long claws. It’s fun to see kids both fascinated and apprehensive at the same time.

This is probably our last year (youngest is 12 in May) but my 15 year old daughter has developed a taste for scaring the kiddies now, so who knows?

I do think wearing costumes to a serious work environ is a bit over the top though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love Halloween and costume parties. We dressed up to hand out candy, it's fun and the kids like it when they come to the door.

Have some fun people.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take your costumes and GET OFF MY LAWN! Wink

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who went to a Halloween costume party at a nudist colony.

He wore roller skates and went as a pull toy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I break out my werewolf mask yearly. I've been this way since Michael Landon spooked me in 1957's: I Was A Teenage Werewolf.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Bah humbug!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
Yesterday was a first for me. I got called in off the road to bailiff for a bit. When I get upstairs to unlock the courtroom the clerk is sitting there next to the bench wearing a squirrel costume. Pretty sure the Judge was not amused when he came out and saw this.

Anyways, court goes on, but I kinda felt bad for the dude being sentenced to prison while staring at a giant squirrel.

I get it. It’s Halloween. I’m not against adult costumes. But really, a courtroom?

I don’t know how the situation ended, but as I was locking up the courtroom the squirrel was called into chambers. Wish I’d been a fly on that wall!

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Jeez...now we are dissecting dressing up on Halloween? You guys gotta lighten up. Smile

Growing up in the 50's, Halloween was a really big deal. Like, right up there with Christmas. It was fun and you got a lot of candy. The parents had as much fun as we did.

Hell, I quit going around the third grade I guess.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post