SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Safari Browser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Browser? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Anyone other than Mac users using Safari as you primary browser please give me any feedback. I was having a problem with the old version but I uninstalled it and downloaded a clean copy and it seems to be really fast and nice.

So what are some other opinions?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of FireFox. Use it on all my Macs (and in Win7 on my dual boot iMac). I like it because it's "extensible" and can be modified. Chrome works too but I keep thinking about that big conglomerate seeing all my web stuff (probably not true but I still think about it).

I bailed on Safari early on because it had such trouble displaying sites but it's come a long way and it's then. It's claim to fame is that it's fast and it is.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Apple stopped supporting Safari for Windows a few years ago. It hasn't been updated and security is not current so I would avoid it even if it runs OK. I would only use Safari on OS X as it's kept current for Macs.

I use Firefox in OS X, Windows and Linux because the browser works similarly across platforms.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have had to use Safari on occasion with a few websites that were "optimized" for windows internet explorer.

From the testing I did with various browsers on OSX, Firefox was the fastest. (I like Firefox on Windows 10 as well). My sons prefer "Chrome".

There is also one out called "Brave" that is supposed to be designed around more security and letting out less personal info.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just in the past couple weeks I've had problems with Safari being hijacked, surprisingly by MacKeeper mostly. I cleared all cookies, problem persisted. I tried switching to Chrome, same problem. I installed Malwarebytes, problem better but not gone completely. Not sure what to do next.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I use Safari and Chrome on my MacBook pro. Safari loads pages more slows and is generally more glitchy. I'm not happy with it and have tried all kinds of things I've read on line to make it better but with limited success.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safari sux, unless you are
On a mac. Then it sux slightly less.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Safari exclusively on my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone 7, Never had or have any problems with it. I never load any non Apple software. Also have an old Acer netbook that runs Windows 7 Starter, on that one I run Chrome, again no problems.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
I use Safari exclusively on my iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone 7, Never had or have any problems with it. I never load any non Apple software. Also have an old Acer netbook that runs Windows 7 Starter, on that one I run Chrome, again no problems.

Ditto. I also run Safari on my old MacBook Air and iPhone 5, and have never had a problem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I am beginning tk think no browser plays well with Win. 10. Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari are all buggy to some extent and they all load pages slow my machine came with 8 if I could somehow use 7 on it I would.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post