SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitty Cat Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitty Cat Questions Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
Being out in the sticks, we have one or two feral cats around. They won't come anywhere close to you, and you only catch glimpses of them as they go about their business.

The other day I noticed a cat I have not seen before. Very friendly. Walked right up to me and let me pet it. No collar, and fairly thin. I don't believe he/she is feral like the others, and perhaps was dumped.

I don't mind the cats, as they will help control the rodent population. At the same time, if this guy was dumped, he may not be at the top of his hunting game. I was going to get him some flea/tick treatment tomorrow at the pet store. I have also left water out. What I don't want to do is feed him if it will discourage him from doing his cat thing. I have no intention of letting him move into the house. Should I put food out for him, or let him rely on his own skills?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
The bleeding heart in me says feed him and check to see if he is declawed. If he is, he should be an indoor cat.

If you can't keep him, find a shelter that will take him in.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
If he is fairly thin, a small amount of food.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
He has all of his claws, and doesn't seem to mind being outside. He also knows what a house is, and what the doors do. That's why I figure he has been dumped.

My neighbor found two beagles the other day. Get this. On the side of the road with their dog stuff. Somebody dumped them AND their belongings. I've never heard of that before.

It's not fond of being photographed. I'll work on a better one. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not knowing the right answer, I'll shoot off the hip. I would say it's all or none. If you feed him, then he's your cat. Plan on having an outdoor cat and plan on getting him his shots. Otherwise I would not feed him as he will then look to you for food instead of his instincts and rummage through you trash possibly too.

If you don't feel like keeping him around (outdoors only), then catch him and take him to the pound and hopefully he tugs at someone's heart strings. If he came up to you he is/was someone's pet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

We have a number of ferals here. They need good water of course. Put out food. They will eat as needed. They will catch and kill stuff even if not hungry.

Our house cats hunt too, and will sometimes share with us, like your kids buying dinner, sort of!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Feed him, he will still hunt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Feed him, he will still hunt.

This.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
My neighbor found two beagles the other day. Get this. On the side of the road with their dog stuff. Somebody dumped them AND their belongings.
Did your neighbor adopt the dogs?

Somebody who would just dump a dog, needs to be locked up in a cage in the pound with no possibility of parole unless / until somebody adopted them. I don't think a dog dumper is likely to be adopted, so s/he might spend a long time in a cage.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did your neighbor adopt the dogs?

He already has two, but he posted it on facespace and found somebody to take them.

Here's a better photo of him/her

www.zykansafe.com

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking cat. Think he'll be alright.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That's a nice cat.
I hate those jagoffs that dump pets. Inexcusable.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking animal. Try to do right by it.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
St. Charles has an animal shelter, take the cat in and put up for adoption. It may even be chipped, which the shelter can check.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Just accept the fact you've adopted a cat.

Like alcoholism, the first step is admitting you've got a cat and you are powerless before it's subtle and innocuous subjection of you.

Congratulations, you are now a cat's slave.

I have six I am directly or indirectly subjected to...

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31385 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Name him; "3-14-15".

Call him "Sweety"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Ok, just to explain how this works, because you are posting like you are in control of what is happening here, you are not. Cats are natural rulers, and we are destine to serve them, that cat chose you, he/she will be informing you shortly of what you will be doing for him/her. Wink

Kidding, but that is a good cat, I can tell. Give it shelter and some food, you'll get plenty of love from it in return.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had an outside cat in Illinois that we fed and took in for regular vet maintenance. He still hunted and was very successful at it. He did stop eating his prey.

We had indoor cats and I fed the outside cat when I fed our house cats. I would not leave food out for him, if you establish a schedule he will come for food. Their time sense is very good.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Oh, he is beautiful. Looks like one of ours. I would definitely take him in. Mine has a personality that won't quit. Spoiled rotten though. He is a splitting imagine. Care for him or find him a loving home. Please.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
On my porch is a stout box with a clean towel inside of it. My outdoor car can get out of direct wind, rain, and snow (a heat pad in winter keeps it cozy). On the porch is water. And it gets food in a bowl a few times a day. I'll not leave food out, but invite the cat in to eat. Then back out he goes.

If it was an issue, like it was five years ago when he started eating here, he eats outside twice a day.

At this point, he keeps this side of the block clear of other pesky cats that would be sniffing about, marking porches and whatnot.

So I vote for a decent crate, a bowl of water, and a dish of hard food.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post