SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Heating oil question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating oil question Login/Join 
posted
So it has been many years since I have lived in New England and when I did I never had to deal with oil so I have zero point of reference for this which is why i am asking here....

My Dad has a standard sized tank (275?) and is somewhat frugal about his use of heat but just told me he needs to get tank filled when I know he had it filled around Thanksgiving because I was there...does this seem soon/excessive to anyone?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many square feet is the house? 1 or 2 story? How well is the house insulated?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
When he had it filled at Thanksgiving was it filled to capacity or just a minimum amount?

Also is it now close to empty or at 30-50% and looking ahead?

If it wasn't completely full and is just getting low now his actual usage may only be 100-150 gals.

Posts: 18033 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I used fuel oil in southern Indiana for about 10 years. My tank was a 1000 gal underground and I used 600-800 gallons per winter to heat a 2400 sq ft home.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input thus far....answers to some questions:

House is single story with non heated basement and back is floor to ceiling glass

Had it filled in November and claims it is empty now

Not sure on thermostat but I know I freeze my ass off every time i go home

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's unusual but it depends on what he keeps the thermostat at and how cold a winter it's been up there. My ex wife used to love to keep the thermostats turned up in our old house and we would burn through a good 200 gallons a month in the dead of winter. Tanks are rarely run down to empty, 25-50 gallons left is usually when a lot of folks refill.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he is due. Dont know where in New England but found this hope it helps https://tevisenergy.com/blog-h...my-heating-oil-last/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound off the mark. Lots of variables obviously, but that doesn't sound way too soon to me based on my own use.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
A friend made a living as an environmental engineer, remediating various local heating oil fuel tanks that leaked. There could be a leak in an older tank, due to rust, frost heaves, whatever. So, one might want to sample the soil near the tank, very quietly, without raising an alarm, just to make sure. Remediation is not cheap.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
don't know about up there but down here in the south you don't want to run one empty... especially the ones on the outside of the house exposed to the weather (which I assume is not the case in NH.) run one of those down to empty and you such the water from condensation in the tank into the lines and furnace.... bad thing.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 2,000 square foot modern home that runs single sotry temps at around 65 in the northeast could expect to burn about 5-6 gsllons of oil daily in Dec-March.

Just a starting point for you.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I used 600-800 gallons per winter to heat a 2400 sq ft home.

Gawd I love living in KY. I was just a little upset with my utility bill last week that was $156 for both gas and electric. The upsetting part was it was the 2nd month over $150 instead of the more normal sub $100 that it'd been running. Yeah, I freeze a bit because the wife keeps the thermostat set at 68 in the fall and winter.

I wonder how a fixed income person could live with spending thousands on heat each year. I have an idea, vote for a liberal to bring back inflation. If I lived near the Artic circle, I'd move.

Oil heat is a terrible idea. Its not cheap, clean, or without smell. I have gas. I fart a lot, but its cheap to heat.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
A friend made a living as an environmental engineer, remediating various local heating oil fuel tanks that leaked. There could be a leak in an older tank, due to rust, frost heaves, whatever. So, one might want to sample the soil near the tank, very quietly, without raising an alarm, just to make sure. Remediation is not cheap.

Meh, just weld a patch. What could go wrong? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right. I had my tank filled that same week and I bought oil today, at 1/4 tank. But I'm heating a small apartment and keep it at 62.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not only does it not seem excessive, it seems just the opposite. If you really want to check and he has been using the same oil delivery company they can tell you his consumption rate in the past if you call. But I burn greater than 500g/month but live in an old house. If its low fill it. running out is expensive since you usually need a service call to reprime the pump and whatever extra they charge for a non scheduled delivery so you don't freeze.
For the record I seriously doubt its leaking given the time to empty, but if it was you simply cannot "quietly" sample near the tank in any State in NE. You are required to report it and depending on the State a timely report will get you financial coverage on the remediation.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t seem excessive to me.

I was going through almost 3 tankfuls (275 gal tank, usually filled to 250 gal) each heating season in my house in PA, before I switched to natural gas.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I seriously doubt that a 275gal tank is buried.
Thats what the house in Mass. had where I grew up, and it was in the basement, adjacent to the boiler. A leak would have been quickly detected....

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 refills this year. Sounds about right to me.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Massachusetts gives heating cost estimates for the winter every year.

You can find it here.

https://www.mass.gov/info-deta...ption-for-each-fuel-

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Dad has a standard sized tank (275?) and is somewhat frugal about his use of heat but just told me he needs to get tank filled when I know he had it filled around Thanksgiving because I was there...does this seem soon/excessive to anyone?

I wish!

We keep our thermostat at 62 and burn hardwood in the kitchen woodstove. I use between 800 and 1000 gallons of "heating oil" actually off road diesel per year. I would recommend that your father contact a local company and get on a schedule so as to remove any chance of running out at a bad time. The guys who fill ours have been filling it for 70 years. They know when to come based on temps and usage from previous years. The tank rarely gets below 70 gallons remaining.

On a side note, our house originally had two 500 gallon tanks buried in the yard that we had removed when we bought the place!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post