SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edited question (electric now OK). My wife wants an ice cream maker for our anniversary. Suggestions from the SF brain trust solicited.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edited question (electric now OK). My wife wants an ice cream maker for our anniversary. Suggestions from the SF brain trust solicited. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Hopefully this is an easy question. Mrs. BB61 wants an ice cream maker to put in our travel trailer when we go camping. I’ve used them as a kid but have no idea as to what I should look for or get.
Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you'll likely need power for the ice that is required.... otherwise, make sure you have very strong arms...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
No-power pretty much equals a hand cranked one resulting in either you having:

1) a or sore arm or,
2) a cranky wife who still wants ice cream.

Advice: get used to the sound of the generator when making ice cream, Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Don't. It'll get used exactly 4 times and then just take up space, any you won't be allowed to get rid of it because it cost too much.

Ask me how I know. Roll Eyes

Buy a bigger freezer and bring ice cream with you!

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No power for it? Forget the idea and instead drop 5’s and 10’s in a jar and take the wife to Zesto Ice Cream or equivalent when required!

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a hand-cranked ice cream freezer ends up not being as much fun as you’d think. Even if you don’t think it sounds fun.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I got one of these many years ago. Not sure where it's at right now. It worked OK, doesn't make much and takes a fair amount of time...

The best time was when I was fishing at an outpost in the middle of nowhere NW Ontario (propane stove, generator for electricity, no other people for miles around) with my uncle and a bunch of his retired buddies. My uncle and I were in charge of cooking, the other guys would do the dishes. One night I made peach cobbler for dessert and told the old guys to roll that ball around while it was in the oven. At first they laughed at me, but were quite impressed with the outcome.

My avatar is from that trip years ago - most of those guys have passed away - I miss fishing with them.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lehmans Hardware is your Amish friend!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a cheap one before and it worked like a charm. It was electric though. Gotta buy the special salt to withit.
Wally mart has it for under $20.

This button opens a dialog that displays additional images for this product with the option to zoom in or out.Nostalgia 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker, ICMP4BL

Nostalgia 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker, ICMP4BL Image 1 of 2.

Nostalgia 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker, ICMP4BL Image 2 of 2

Tell us if something is incorrect
Nostalgia 4-Quart Blue Bucket Electric Ice Cream Maker,
ICMP4BL
quote:

Cuisinart also has great products, electric as well, a bit more money

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Yeah, a hand-cranked ice cream freezer ends up not being as much fun as you’d think. Even if you don’t think it sounds fun.

As a child it was fun to take a turn at cranking the handle. Today maybe not so much.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do you have a KitchenAid mixer? I’d recommend one of their ice cream maker setups:

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

As a child it was fun to take a turn at cranking the handle. Today maybe not so much.

That was great at family gatherings with lots of kids. Everyone wanted to crank and everyone cranked for a little while. Many hands make like work. For smaller groups, electric is the only way to go.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I had one about 20 years ago, probably used it four times in two years, then forgot about it. The ice cream was the best ever, but we just don't eat much of it. I think we've bought one 1/2 gal. of ice cream in the last five years, been to Cold Stone Creamery about once or twice in that time too. I've eaten more ice cream on vacation in Europe than at home in the last 10 years.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
White Mountain. We got one as a wedding gift that’s still going strong 2 decades later.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The Cuisinart model doesn’t take up too much space and works very well.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Ihave the kitchenaid one. It works... OK. The biggest issue with it, and similar ones, is having to store the tub in the freezer overnite so it's ready to use. I never seem to have room in the freezer for it. And then you can only do one batch.
That's where the self contained electrics shine.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
You could get a gas-powered model. Smile

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTFWDAMDpic

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
America's Test Kitchen highly recommends:
quote:
Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker

We still love our former Best Buy. Its desserts were “even-textured,” “velvety,” and “delightful.” We also liked its lightweight, compact design and the simplicity of its one-button operation. The paddle blades were fully submerged in the base and did not interfere with our thermometer probe.

Currently $42 at Amazon.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thx everyone.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You need a 1 gallon Ziploc freezer bag and a 1 quart Ziploc freezer bag.
Fill the quart bag with sugar, half-n-half and vanilla extract.
Put ice, rock salt and the quart bag into the gallon bag.
Shake the gallon bag for 5 to 10 minutes.
You'll have ice cream in the quart bag.

Great fun for the kids while camping.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post