SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brock's performance discusses restrictions on the 2017 GSXR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brock's performance discusses restrictions on the 2017 GSXR Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Yeah, it isn't a short video but I found it incredibly interesting. I had no idea the new GSXR was so restricted or that the Euro version would have less restriction than the US version. I'd love to see what the designers could do if they didn't have all that red tape and EURO 4 bullshit to deal with.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/GTa4Q8D7WDY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
"we don't even ship to california..."

...nothing we do is going to be allowed there...

Big Grin lol.

Great video.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
All the new bikes are restricted. Flashing Ecu's is commonplace now to rid the bike of restrictions. I refuse to buy a new bike due to the IMU, sensors, and electronic rider aids. The used bike market is going to flourish.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kits are so common some bikes have specific kits, not just for ECU flash. HD, for example, has "stage" kits.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I like it!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That cat on the Kawasaki H2 exhaust was huge! No wonder the H2 is so dang heavy. I bet a race exhaust and ecu reflash makes that thing even more insane.

Removing those EXUP valves on the exhaust and going with a lightweight race exhaust has to save a lot of weight on the H2 and GSXR.

Do modern sport bikes see much of a power gain by ditching the cat and going with a full race exhaust? Or is the main benefit weight reduction?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new BMW has all the electronic goodies installed. It has three switchable riding modes:
Rain
Road
Dynamic.
The is a fourth mode: Dynamic plus. This mode is only available after you plug in an electronic module to a port under the seat. This is the "holy shit" mode and once the module is installed, BMW no longer authorizes the bike to be used on a public street.
I have ridden the bike in Dynamic mode a couple of times. Needless to say, the plug in module is locked in my safe, never to see the light of day again!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tell me more about this holy shit mode. I hit the rev limiter on my old R1 the other day. The problem with supersports is after a while you get used to the ungodly power and acceleration. Big Grin

I was pretty sure this new GSXR was going to be wild and stomp the S1000RR but now I don't know. I guess time will tell if the new Suzuki can hang with the brilliantly designed BMW.

I was planning on buying a GSX-R1000R but now I'm not sure. It probably isn't a good idea to buy a bike the first year after a redesign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Tell me more about this holy shit mode.

On my 2011 S1000RR it was a plug that enabled "slick" mode. I don't know if it is similar to dynamic plus. It enabled faster throttle response and less intrusion of the traction control while using racing slicks. It wasn't a big difference, but then again, I could never even get near the limits of that bike in order to be a good judge. That bike is extremely fast no matter what mode you have it in.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stickman I always worry about you. From retro BMW to modern GSXR in a few posts. I've been racing motorcycles for decades. EVERY motorcycle made in the last 50 years has been modified from optimal to deal with some federal rule. For the track just about all those modifications can be dealt with. But those changes are not necessarily ones that make a better street bike. Example much of BMW,s programming needs to be modified for the track and there are ways to deal with that but those changes simply make the bike a miserable street bike. I've not ridden the new GSXR but history of new GSXRs would be that it's fine for the street.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
hrcjon, yeah my moto interests probably seems ADD at times. I wasn't planning on buying that vintage BMW R100 but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Big Grin

I love all motorcycles (even mopeds) but vintage bikes and super sports are my two favorites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Suppressed has it right.
The RR will melt off your face. 190 HP.
The XR just makes your face gooey. 160 HP.
Most track videos show the XR lags behind the RR only about a second.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just saw a video of Brock's getting 203 hp out of a 2017 GSX-R1000 on the dyno. Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/aaPHhVtETNE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^Bah! Cliffhanger. ^^

Also, it's no longer useful for me to use K&N? If so, I may as well use new stock paper rather than doing the cleaning and drying.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
On the newer sportbikes the factory air filters are hard to beat. He said in the video until recently they only lost power in their S1000RR when using aftermarket air filters.

My SV650S uses the same filter as the SV1000 so I left the filter stock. If it flows enough air for a 1000 there is probably no benefit to going aftermarket for my little 650.

When I replaced my R1 filter I just used a OEM paper filter from Yamaha. The one in there looked ok but since I had it apart to change the spark plugs I figured why not. I'm not really a huge fan of the k&n filters. I'd take longevity/protection over minimal HP gains at best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~