SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto Body Guys: Wrap, Paint or Bedliner ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto Body Guys: Wrap, Paint or Bedliner ? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Been thinking of repainting my 04 Nissan Titan.
Runs great but the sun has started to deteriorate the clearcoat (not garaged).
So > I was considering wrap and love the looks but concerned about it's longevity and how well it holds up.
Paint is the traditional choice.
Bedliner such as Rhinoliner or similar intrigues me but not sure how well it can be done or the life of the product.

Any insight from any Auto/paint experts?

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Don't know about life of product, but I saw a truck covered in textured bed liner the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. First and only time I've seen an entire spray job...

I would think that something designed to withstand having lumber and such thrown on it (in the bed of a truck) would be pretty structurally sound and long-lasting.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wraps hold up well if done correctly and coated with something like ceramic.

Have you tried clay barring, polishing and rewaxing your truck?

Post of pic of your hood.

I watched my brother use Rejex on his daughter's 10 year old car with faded paint. Not sure what else he did to it but it looked great when he was done.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd think the wrap would probably be the cheapest of the 3 options.
Probably a tossup cost-wise between repaint & bedliner.

In Houston, I'd think a bedliner 'painted' truck wouldn't stand out too much & definitely gives a rugged look. Probably pretty low maintenance too, as compared to auto paint.

Not sure what part of Houston you're in, but there's a wrap place near me that seems to stay pretty busy. Have seen everything from pickups & small SUVs to exotics in their lot.
I don't remember the numbers, but I'd had them quote me on wrapping a cargo trailer & thought the $/sqft was reasonable.
Wrap Stars Rayford: (281) 419-9727

They gave me a rough $/sq ft over the phone at the time, may vary a bit for a vehicle, as I'm sure it's more work for a truck than a box (trailer) on wheels.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
YouTube Raptor Lined trucks.
Most of them look really good for what they are and under $500 for doing it yourself.

Longevity is my concern. An older truck I would certainly do it. Contemplating it for my Expedition but not sure I am that brave.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
My cousin works for Linex says its about $5-8k to have done by them depending on the truck and whatnot.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: Raptor Liner...

Also take a look at "Monstaliner".

Probably $300-500 to do a vehicle. It's an activated product (you have to mix in a hardener / catalyst), and apparently very durable. Popular with the Landcruiser crowd.

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Full wrap or repaint, will run you close to the same amount of $

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
My cousin works for Linex says its about $5-8k to have done by them depending on the truck and whatnot.

$8K to spray a truck with bedliner > OUCH! Eek
I thought it was generally a little cheaper than other methods. Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This is the look I am try to get to:

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about wraps, but I can't imagine it would works well on already deteriorated paint. I would think any paint imperfections would show.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the flat paint look. An NCO in my Guard unit has a sweet flat grey Ram he had wrapped, looks great. Don’t know the cost...$5-$8k is crazy though!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
bedliner is my choice, they make it in colors now.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I vote for the sprayed on rubberized liner. Put it on our truck immediately upon purchase, and it is great! Protects from water damage, scratches, etc. we had previously owned a 2003 truck we did that to, and loved it. One reason we decided to get ours done on the new purchase right away.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
A 20+ yr friend of mine is a world champion for wrapping vehicles. He has been applying vinyl graphics for over 30yrs. Has his own shop, competes and judges competitions around the globe.

Wraps usually run around $2K and up. He’s wrapped 6 figure exotics for 3-4x’s that.

I’ve worked on commercial fleet vehicles doing vinyl wraps with my BIL who also is in the business. He mainly does commercial vehicles, vans and box trucks.

A wrap can look like a paint job if done correctly. There are different stages. You can do a complete color change. That’s doing door jams, under hood and trunk lids. Or you can just wrap exterior panels. And you can do a complete seamless wrap and all the doors, hood, tailgate, trim and such will be removed. You won’t find any original color.

So a wrap can range greatly in price pending how much is wrapped and what material you use.

Material can be “cheap” to “ultra premium”. Can have UV protection. Warranty can be 1-5yrs before delamination or color fades.

You can take care of a wrap like paint with specialty care products.

A wrap is temporary, either for you or future owners.

You can do cool embosiments under the wrap. Think different designs, like flames or various symbols or words. Looks cool. And multiple color designs.

If your existing paint is peeling/flaking that will show through the wrap, like an embossment does. And may not stay applied long term wise. You will have to sand those areas for proper adhesion.

Bedliner is permanent. You have to “ruff” the surface for it to adhere properly. It won’t be coming off for you. So if your good with permanent, liner is a tough option.

The liner vehicles I’ve seen are usually faded and or won’t get totally clean with all the ruff texture. There are better UV applications now but add to the cost. And you can color match liner now but adds to cost.

Paint would give best resale value and I think would be longest lasting. A good paint job should easily last 10 yrs.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just put a cheapie paint job on it that's halfway decent. I certainly wouldn't put big money in a 14 year old pickup.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The Achilles heal of the bedliner products is UV degradation that severely fades the material over time. And I know of no product currently available that can prevent that degradation over the long haul. Yes, Line-X and Rhino Liners advertise a UV inhibitor they add to their products, but it just doesn't hold up when subjected to constant UV exposure.

Wraps are cool but somewhat fragile and subject to damage, which for me would eliminate them from use on a truck that gets used as a truck. Show truck...Sure. Daily driver...No way.

I too love the flat/satin paint on some of new and/or custom vehicles, but I think the only way you get that look, and have it hold up well over time, is to re-paint and clearcoat.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
dude where I used to live had his Bronco completely RhinoLined.....it looked like crap,

total crap.

you could just get a sprayer, a gallon of flat black, and do it yourself

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post