SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey, it's Friday. Coffee is good for you, again.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, it's Friday. Coffee is good for you, again. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
http://www.medscape.com/viewar...&impID=1389504&faf=1

Higher Coffee Intake Tied to Lower Mortality Risk

Higher coffee intake is linked to significantly lower risk for death, two large studies confirm. The benefit was found in diverse European populations, as well as across different racial/ethnic groups, researchers report in articles published online today in Annals of Internal Medicine.
Because coffee is one of the most popular drinks in the United States and worldwide, the public health effect of coffee intake could be substantial, even if the effect on an individual is small.
Despite mounting evidence for the health and mortality benefits of coffee consumption, the relationship between coffee intake and mortality in different European populations in which coffee preparation methods vary has been unclear. Similarly, data on coffee drinking among nonwhite populations were lacking.
The two new studies address those gaps.
In EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), a large, prospective cohort study, Marc J. Gunter, PhD, from the International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, and colleagues examined the association of coffee intake with all-cause and cause-specific mortality among 451,743 participants (130,662 men and 321,081 women) in 10 European countries.
"[O]ur results suggest that higher levels of coffee drinking are associated with lower risk for death from various causes, specifically digestive and circulatory diseases," the authors write.
During a mean follow-up of 16.4 years, 41,693 deaths occurred.
In a multivariable model, men who drank three or more cups of coffee per day had a 12% lower all-cause mortality than non–coffee drinkers (hazard ratio, 0.88; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.82 - 0.95; P for trend < .001); women had a 7% lower mortality (HR, 0.93; CI, 0.87 - 0.98; P for trend = .009).

In terms of cause-specific mortality, men who drank three or more cups of coffee per day had a 59% lower risk for digestive disease mortality than men who drank no coffee or less than one cup per day (HR, 0.41; CI, 0.32 - 0.54; P for trend < .001). Women who drank three or more cups had a 40% reduction in risk (HR, 0.60; CI, 0.46 - 0.78; P for trend < .001).
The researchers also found a strong inverse association between coffee consumption and circulatory disease mortality among women (HR, 0.78; CI, 0.68 - 0.90; P for trend < .001). The benefit was particularly large for risk for death from cerebrovascular disease in women (HR, 0.70; CI, 0.55 - 0.90; P for trend = .02). Among men, there was a trend for a small benefit, but individual comparisons were not significant.
However, the authors also found a significant increase in risk for ovarian cancer mortality (HR, 1.31; 95% CI, 1.07 - 1.61]; P for trend = .015).
The mortality benefit was the same for caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee, the authors add. They emphasize the need to interpret these findings with caution because not all EPIC centers collected data on decaffeinated coffee intake.

In the MEC (Multiethnic Cohort), a prospective population-based cohort study that enrolled 185,855 African Americans, Native Hawaiians, Japanese Americans, Latinos, and whites, Song-Yi Park, PhD, from the University of Hawaii, Honolulu, and colleagues investigated the association of coffee intake with risk for total and cause-specific mortality across multiple races.
"Higher consumption of coffee was associated with lower risk for death in African Americans, Japanese Americans, Latinos, and whites," the authors write.
During a mean follow-up of 16.2 years, 58,397 deaths occurred.
They found that higher coffee intake was associated with lower risk for all-cause death and death from heart disease, cancer, respiratory disease, stroke, diabetes, and kidney disease.
In analyses adjusted for potential confounders, Dr Park and colleagues showed that coffee intake was associated with lower total mortality (1 cup per day: HR, 0.88; 95% CI, 0.85 - 0.91; 2 to 3 cups per day: HR, 0.82; CI, 0.79 - 0.86; ≥4 cups per day: HR, 0.82; CI, 0.78 - 0.87; P for trend < .001).
This inverse relationship held when the racial/ethnic groups were analyzed individually among all groups except Native Hawaiians.

Considering leading causes of death, higher coffee intake was associated with lower risks of death due to heart disease (P for trend < .001), cancer (P for trend = .023), chronic lower respiratory disease (P for trend = .015), stroke (P for trend < .001), diabetes (P for trend = .009), and kidney disease (P for trend < .001).
In this study, trends with respect to caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee were similar to those found in EPIC.
In an accompanying editorial, Eliseo Guallar, MD, DrPH, from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, and colleagues stress the need to understand the health effects of coffee because of its widespread consumption.
They emphasize that the consistent finding in these two studies of an inverse relationship between coffee intake and risk for death across populations from different countries, as well as across the racial/ethnic spectrum, further contribute to generalizability of the mortality benefit of coffee.
Nevertheless, the editorialists note that coffee consumption is a complex phenomenon and that coffee contains various substances, including bioactive compounds. As a consequence, the health and mortality benefits of coffee may depend on components other than caffeine, they say.
It would therefore be premature to recommend coffee intake to reduce mortality or prevent chronic disease, the editorialists add. "However, it is increasingly evident that moderate coffee intake up to 3 to 5 cups per day, or caffeine intake up to 400 mg/d, is not associated with adverse health effects in adults and can be incorporated into a healthy diet," they conclude.

But wait. Don't pick up that phone, yet. Because by Monday, coffee will be bad for you, again. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
http://www.medscape.com/viewar...&impID=1389504&faf=1

But wait. Don't pick up that phone, yet. Because by Monday, coffee will be bad for you, again. Big Grin

Always choose the study that supports your position. I will look no further.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I already can't keep up with my minimum daily requirement of alcohol.
Now I have to add > 4 cups of coffee to that.
Where do I fit in the citrate to prevent kidney stones?
I'll be up all night pissing.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
“Now, wait a second, you doctors have been telling us to drink eight glasses of gravy a day.” – Homer Simpson

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, I will wait a week; things change.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Immortal
que
Queen

idem ea dixit

Posts: 1390 | Location: Daphne, AL | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm gonna live forever!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Higher coffee intake is linked to significantly lower risk for death...

Hmm. So the "risk for death" is no longer 100% then?!? Sweet

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard that report and scoffed. I don't know about the rest of the world (Yurrup, for example), but too much coffee makes my heart race and upsets my stomach. I quit Starbucks years ago since it gave me the runs.

Tell me those reactions mean I'm going to live longer!

Fake News! Razz

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Oh I am so glad coffee is good for you this year!

During the years when it's bad for you, I just drink it and feel like I'm contributing to my demise. Confused

But, during the years when it's good for you, I drink it with enthusiasm. Big Grin

Let's all enjoy this year!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
damn and I cut back from 10 cups a day to 2...

this means I'm gonna die sooner

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

I'm gonna live forever!

Me too!

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We'll need waffles. Lots and lots of waffles...

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vsp39o2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
We'll need waffles. Lots and lots of waffles...

Now, I've gotten blueberry syrup on my safari jacket.

------------------------------
The pool's in,
but the patio ain't dry.

Posts: 1814 | Location: greater metro Tar Bay | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

I'm gonna live forever!

Me too!

I'm so happy to know that I'll be in such good company!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Catheter is the answer.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Higher coffee intake is linked to significantly lower risk for death...

Hmm. So the "risk for death" is no longer 100% then?!? Sweet

Very astute observation!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Does expresso have more benefits than regular coffee?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
All things in moderation.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post