SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for TV Soundbar system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for TV Soundbar system Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
Got a new house, everything is great, but the TV situation in the living room is limited to only above the fireplace mantel (previous owner did the same). Plan to hang a 55" Samsung QLED with a close-wall setup, tilting the screen downwards if we want. Only problem is using a traditional home theater audio system. The rule is NO WIRES flowing out of the side cabinets, along floorboards, etc. No place to put wired surrounds. So the soundbar setup became the logical choice for better sound. I'm resigned to the world of 2.1 sound with a wireless subwoofer. But so many choices, need some recommendations from owners, satisfied or not.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16668 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Vizio 5.1 sound bars. They have been fine. Soundbar is wired to TV, sub is wireless and rear speakers are wired to sub. Only complaint is on one system there is to much bass, but it is in a room with all hard surfaces

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Bose SoundTouch 300. You can get a wireless sub and wireless surrounds.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
We offer the Polk bar and wireless sub here at work. Also just released the wireless (except for power) rear speakers as well. Makes for a pretty sweet setup for $500

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Looked into this setup and the surrounds won't work out. Hardwiring the speaker into a receiver which needs to be plugged into an AC outlet will not be "wireless" enough for our configuration.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16668 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bought a Harmon-Kardon unit and as a audiophile, it really fits in when a full stereo is not need/wanted (normal shows or movies while the wife is asleep).

The bar receives the audio signal from the TV and it is wirelessly connected to the 6" sub (which only requires 115VAC for power).

For the full-blown movie when all are watching or are gone for the night, it's the 5.1 ch stereo.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Sonos play bar?

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to mention I bought a mount to go over the mantel, but then my wife asked if there wasn't something one could pull down so it wasn't so high. Turns out there is, and I ended up ordering a Mantel Mount from Amazon. Haven't mounted it yet, but the idea is there is a parallelogram that swings out and down so it is partly over the fireplace opening--that height can be determined within limits. If you read the reviews on Amazon, lots of people have been happy with the pull-down arrangement as you are not always looking up at the TV.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have Sonos. It’s aw-iight

Posts: 13232 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which ever you choose, make sure you get one to match the size of your room

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

Looked into this setup and the surrounds won't work out. Hardwiring the speaker into a receiver which needs to be plugged into an AC outlet will not be "wireless" enough for our configuration.

If you can't do rears at all, just do the bar and the sub. You won't get a true surround without rears, but it'll still be very good.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Bose guy here and very happy.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Samsung HW-M360 a couple months ago.
Bluetooth wireless sub. Pairs with my Samsung tv seamlessly.
Can check it out here
Samsung HW-M360

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love Sonos. We have their speakers all over.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've found they integrate better if you match the sound bar brand to the TV brand.

I have a LG TV in my family room and have a LG sound bar (it's the better of the two).

I have a Samsung TV in my bedroom and have a Samsung sound bar with it.

My Dad has a Vizio TV in his family room and I bought him a Vizio TV for it.

All 3 sound orders of magnitude better than the TV did, and none really sound better than the other. The differences really are how it integrates with the TV (e.g. hit TV power button and it comes on without having to hit 2nd button or program a macro).

All 3 have blue tooth subwoofers that are located in the corner of the room for better bass performance.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on Sonos. Not cheap, but no wires (except power cords and, I believe, hdmi from TV to playbar/base). You can upgrade to 5.1 sound with a playbase / playbar, subwoofer and two play:1 speakers.

You also listen to music, radio, etc.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it Sonos all the way. I say that because with Sonos everything is wireless, you can have speakers for every room in the house, and when it comes to movie time you just move the speakers from the other parts of the house to make it a 5.1. Not cheap, but extremely versatile.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
On the cheap we bought an RCA 37" at wally's and it does pretty well. We have a 40" tv and it improved the audio a lot for us.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sony NT5 with the SRSZR5 rear channels. It’s excellent. Shakes my previous Vizio, and these rear channels are actually full surround. Tested so far, Good Time, Dunkirk, and Blade Runner 2049 on a 4K disc. The sound bar is excellent.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Two thumbs up for Samsung!! Perfect pairing for our smart tv!! How did we watch without it? Great units!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post