SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asking advice on handling Hunting /Property owner incident.UPDATE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asking advice on handling Hunting /Property owner incident.UPDATE Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I am seeking advice on member's opinions how to handle an issue that happened yesterday evening. I will try to explain as clearly and briefly as I can.

I keep dogs at a kennel at a farm property 3 miles from my home. The land is owned by an elderly couple in their 80's, the dogs are a deceased mutual friends dogs. They have been there 3 years.the couple live in town, and are semi-handicapped.

Each day I check the dogs, walk them on the farm property, and the couple have asked me to be a kind of watchman for the property. They only visit occassionally. The property is gated with only 1 road acess, no public road frontage, at the end of a rural state road.

In the past, the couple have taken several people to court for tresspassing, primarily for hunting, as they do not allow hunting.

Which brings me to the incident.
Recently they let a casual friend and neighbor to me use the land for farming purposes. Yesterday evening, when I checked my dogs , the neighbors truck was there, but no farm operation (tractors, etc) were there. Then in the back of my mind, it occurred to me he was hunting.

I tended to my dogs, and at dark, getting ready to leave, the farmer (leasor) drove up to the kennel, and bluntly told me he had been hunting. I did not see him with his rifle.

I didn't challenge him on what he had just told me about him hunting, not knowing the specific agreement with my elderly friends.
To me, I think the farmer is taking advantage of the knowledge the couple are away and hunting there.
But, I am positive their desire and wishes are no one hunt on their property.

What should I do?
Tell the couple what happened, and even if I ask them if the farmer is allowed to hunt, they will ask why I questioned that.

I don't want to betray the elderly couples trust, as they have been good to me, often helping me finacially with the dog's on the properties upkeep (veternarian bills, etc)

If I say nothing, then I am letting my older friends down, but if I tell them, I get into a situation with the older couple and the casual friend-neighbor- farmer.

I have known the older couple since childhood.

Just seeking some thoughts on what to do in this matter. Please ask any questions if you wish.

Thanks, forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sunset_Va,

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
"You know their wishes", everything you need to make a decision is right there!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you know, in no uncertain terms, that they do not allow hunting on their property I would tell them that this other person is hunting it. They will either tell you that they made a special exception for him, or they will be very surprised. Either way, I think they will be happy that you cared enough about their wishes for their property to let them know.

It sounds like you "owe" much more to the property owners than you do to the hunter. That relationship is more important.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask the farmer if the owners gave him permission.

If he says "yes" confirm it with the owners. If they say "no" then ask them how you want to proceed. Maybe suggest a warning to the farmer instead of prosecution. He may have lease access to hunt as part of the farm lease.

If he says "no" tell him not to do it any further or you'll have to notify the owners.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
… not knowing the specific agreement with my elderly friends.

Sounds like the key to me. Contact your friends and get clarification. Maybe they gave him permission to hunt as part of their deal with him without telling you. If they did not, it is up to them to handle it.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
"You know their wishes", everything you need to make a decision is right there!!!

+1
and let the owners deal with the Farmer.

Posts: 1602 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's their property that they've asked you to watch over in exchange for using it for your dogs. Not really sure why you are even asking? You have an agreement with them, which has benefited you greatly. Live up to that agreement, let them know what is going on. You don't have to act as their security guard and Chase anyone off the property, but you do have an obligation to inform them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
You missed you're chance to handle it properly imo. You should have asked your farmer/friend right on the spot if he had explicit permission from the older couple to hunt on the property.

Maybe farmer/friend is not aware of older couples rules about not hunting on their property and just made an assumption. You could have simply asked him "Did you tell (older couple) you were hunting out here because normally they don't allow it"

You might have been telling him something he didn't know and he would have made sure he spoke with them first before he hunts again. You're not the bad guy. But now it's gotten awkward.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the land posted "No Hunting" ? Review the hunting laws. I believe if the land is posted no hunting then anyone that is on the property hunting is required to have written permission by the land owner on their possession. Let the game warden deal with this.
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/...ons/privateproperty/

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Tell the guy that he has a week to tell the owners what he was doing. If he knows he was in the wrong then he should man up about it.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

It is always difficult to look after other people's property at times.
The farmer is aware the people do not want hunting on their property, as I have stated that to him previously. I agree , lastmanstanding, that I should have discussed that yesterday. As now it has become awkward.

This needs to be cleared up as soon as possible.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Is the farmer leasing the land from them?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Is the farmer leasing the land from them?

Yes, but only for farming purposes.

美しい犬

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, if you don’t tell the land owners, you’ve betrayed their trust in you.

The farmer sounds like kind of a jerk. He’s put you over a barrel with his actions. If he was going to tell anybody he’d been hunting there, he should have told the property owners. You don’t owe him anything, IMO.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The farmer/lessor put you in this position. Your responsibility is to the owners so give them a call.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
AS a land owner who leases a farm, I will give you my take. My operator only leases for farming. No other uses are allowed. I lease the hunting rights to another person. They are not allowed to interfere with each other. A land owner needs too state what rights the lease holder has. You as a caretaker need to know from the owner what rights others have and what their wishes are.

I would have a talk with them about this and state clearly that you only want to carry out their wishes. If the owners leased their land to the farmer with no restrictions , then he can hunt all he wants. I think the owners would be happy to know that you only wish to abide by their wishes. I would also want a letter from them as to what your rights on their property are. If not handled properly these things can get ugly for you and the land owners. Cover yourself!!.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've known the nice, older couple longer than your "casual" friend/farmer; I believe your allegiance is to the older couple. Some water has flowed under the bridge since the incident and it might be uncomfortable/confrontational, but I'd speak with the "friend/farmer" and outright ask him if he has/had permission to hunt that property, as YOU'VE been explicitly told they do not allow hunting. Whatever his answer, LET HIM KNOW you'll be discussing it with the land owners.

JMHO...that and $2.00 will get you a Tall regular coffee at Threebucks.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ragman:
AS a land owner who leases a farm, I will give you my take. My operator only leases for farming. No other uses are allowed. I lease the hunting rights to another person. They are not allowed to interfere with each other. A land owner needs too state what rights the lease holder has. You as a caretaker need to know from the owner what rights others have and what their wishes are.

I would have a talk with them about this and state clearly that you only want to carry out their wishes. If the owners leased their land to the farmer with no restrictions , then he can hunt all he wants. I think the owners would be happy to know that you only wish to abide by their wishes. I would also want a letter from them as to what your rights on their property are. If not handled properly these things can get ugly for you and the land owners. Cover yourself!!.

Thank you. I knew what my conscience is telling me to do, but as you stated , it could get ugly for me.

It is a large property , about 400 acres, and kind of isolated. I have also known the farmer for many years, although, not on the same level as the elderly friends.

I too personally own farmland that I lease out to another farmer , and our agreement only pertains to farming, no bunting rights.

美しい犬

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Is there any crops still in ground?
Around here a lot of corn is still standing. Maybe the farmer was checking crops or conditions of ground for tilling before winter.
Maybe a frank discussion with the farmer is in order.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:

Maybe the farmer was checking crops or conditions of ground for tilling before winter.
In the original post, Sunset_Va said, "the farmer (leasor) drove up to the kennel, and bluntly told me he had been hunting."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post